Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: December "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #15 on: 16/12/2009 at 07:48 »
iain,

very nice mate.  I'll be trying a few of those over the winter.

cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #16 on: 16/12/2009 at 10:31 »
Hi Matt,

I'm sure every man and his dog has their own prefered method for tying these type of flies, for example tying the wing material in along the spine of  hook shank and then lifting it upright before securing. OR bringing the wing material up perpendicular to the hook shank from below and folding around the shank prior to securing.

There are also various methods for tying in the hackle & tying off.
It's just a case of trying whichever method suits you. Using Fly-Tite, I find protects the vulnerable herl thorax and also is 100% guarenteed to prevent any unfurling of the parachute hackle no matter how much fish chomp it.

Easy to tie, great on their own or as a thingummyjigger.
Hook choice is also varied but I seldom use anything other than B100's in size 14 & 16 for my normal fishing, pity they dont do 18's! Anything smaller is usually tied not as an indicator but as an emerging beast. I still like the niche living larvae hooks which require bending but I'm too lazy even to do this.

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #17 on: 16/12/2009 at 14:39 »
i've tried a few like that before but always struggled getting the hackle in place.  But I've always tried using a cdc feather rather than a normal hackle, I'll try that first and then work up to the cdc.

cheers

matt

Irvine Ross

« Reply #18 on: 16/12/2009 at 14:50 »
Matt

Forget the cdc when tying parachute hackles. It is too soft a feather to make a decent job. Also you need a decent bunch of it to provide floatation, a single wound hackle does not do very much. Anyway it is pointless using cdc on a Klinkhammer as you get all the buoyancy you need if you use Tiemco Aero Wing or siliconised polypropylene for the wing post.

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #19 on: 16/12/2009 at 15:17 »
Hi Matt,

do you try to wind the CDC as a conventional hackle or do you 'Dub' it onto/ between the thread? if you get my drift.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 16/12/2009 at 15:23 »
Hi Irvine,

I don't want to tread on anyones toes but I've heard that CDC fibres (wet or dry) on such a fly add to the appeal from below. I have only tied one parachute style fly with CDC (dexterity not as good as one wishes) but am really keen to give them a go next season.

Anyone else use this as an alternative to standard hackles.

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #21 on: 16/12/2009 at 18:43 »
Hi Ian

Tread away, my toes can take it :grin

Yes I have heard the theory. That is the idea behind the cdc & elk hair caddis pattern but all the buoyancy and shape comes from the elk hair. The cdc just gives it some movement (as would marabou?).  :z8

I have not heard/read any reports that says cdc makes a Klinkhammer more effective so, until I do, I don't think the extra faff would be worth the effort. Given the pattern has been around for a decade or more, someone must have tried it by now.

If you want to tie a few and run side by side trials next season I will be keen to hear your results. Anyway I wouldn’t advise it to anyone who has not turned out a few standard Klinkies first.

I have to hold my hand up and say I am not a great fan of cdc. You have to change your flies too often. I prefer synthetic wing material or deer/elk hair. They stay afloat longer. :z16

I liked your SBS. I am stuck with habit and follow the original pattern and tie the wing material down the spine of the hook. It gets more buoyant material into the pattern I think.

Cheers

Irvine

Ben Dixon

« Reply #22 on: 17/12/2009 at 00:25 »
I'm with Irvine on this one.  CDC is great until you catch a fish, then to all intents it is goosed.  A Klink is a time consuming fly to tie even when you are in th groove and tying a few.  If used for F fly wings or shuttlecocks then it can be Amadou'd after a wash and refloated, wound as a Klink hackle would be a pain at the tying stage and tehn even more of a pain once used.  I tend to tie a few specific patterns with CDC that I will use only when targeting seen large fish on smooth glides where you have maybe only asingle shot at a big fish, places where presentation is everything.  On those flies the CDC is tied as a wing, the bulk of it slows the flies fall & makes it land gently hence not upsetting calm water, only reason I use it.

For Klinks, I use TMC Aero Dry Wing (nothing better as is less dense than water) and then use any sort of sensible hackle I pick up.  Don't feel the need to use top quality genetic hacke for Klinks unless I am tying specifically as indicators or for fast water as the surface area of the hackle will usually ensure that they stay on the top.  Waterlogged CDC is one of the best fly sinkants I know!!

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #23 on: 18/12/2009 at 22:56 »
A couple of nice flies there chaps!
Will have to make a start to my dry box very soon, nice style of Klink anyway Iain  :z18

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 26/12/2009 at 13:51 »
Just for fun :z16

I've been doing an SBS for the Openshaws Ghost fly I mentioned elsewhere. Its a simple tie and very effective.
Some good techniques too, that can be adapted for either UK salt, Pike or perhaps other baitfish patterns :z18

Hook: Gamakatsu 3/0 (don't know the number it was written in chinese :shock)
Thread: White flat mono thread
Throat: Red DnA Holofusion
Wing: White Slinky fiber
Overwing: Tan EP Fibres
Eyes: 1/2" 3D eyes

Step 1. Put hook in vice at a slight angle.

Step 2. Wind on thread just cover the first 1/3 of the shank

Step 3. Take a smallish bunch of Holofusion and tie in at the mid point.

Step 4. Fold the fibres back and tie down (approx 1/3 rd of the area covered by the thread), trim to length of the hook.

Step 5. Take some slinky fibers, the whole length of the hank. Look at the amount you think is correct and then use 1/3rd (about 20-25 fibres) Tie in with approx 2/5ths extending backwards and butting up to the hump created by the holofusion tie in. tie it down over 1/2 of the remaining gap to eye.

Step 6. Fold the fibers back and tie down.

Step 7. Take a length of EP Fibres (full length of hank) aprrox 1/3 rd of the amount of Slinky (7-10 fibres) and tie down in the remaining space to eye.

Step 8. Fold back and tie down up to where the hump formed by the slinky is

Step 9. Whip finish and trim wing to shape.

Step 10. Remove fly from vice and put on a flat surface brush wing out to desired shape with fingers , get two eyes ready and turn upside down. Mix up some epoxy.

Step 11. Apply a good blob of epoxy to the back of each eye, position one eye on one side as shown (Apologies for the crap picture i had one shot at it due to 5 min epoxy curing fast)

Step 12. Mount the other eye on the opposite side.

Step 13. Press eyes together until a small amount of epoxy squeezes out of the sides, apply some epoxy to the exposed thread for a head and mount in a fly drier (don't switch it on) you may have to squeeze them together a couple of times. Make sure you straighten the fly on the hook before it sets :z16

Step 14. Once dry (very soon) the wing will retain its shape and density to look very transparent. It will be light and easy to cast.

Here are the ones i have tied up for a flyswap. Its an Australian pattern although i have modified it slightly to make it more me :z7

here are the same flies going for a we swim as a shoal :z4 If you half close your eyes its really effective :z16

Cheers

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 26/12/2009 at 14:34 »
Hi Sandy

Cool step by step, I see what you mean about half closing your eyes :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 26/12/2009 at 20:03 »
Nice SBS Sandy  :z16

If you half close your eyes its really effective
I find if you totally close your eyes it's even better.  :z4 :z7

I think if you with this months competition then Mike'll have a pound or two to shell out on shipping costs.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #27 on: 27/12/2009 at 01:36 »
Nice SBS Sandy  :z16
I find if you totally close your eyes it's even better.  :z4 :z7

Very good Iain. :z4
You will notice that it says "just for fun" :z16 I figured i was owe you all one from November, plus i have been pretty bored since i got back from Perth.
Its monsoon season here and rather wet, and no fishing is worthwhile, kinda like having a closed season. So i'm tying flies :z18 And fixing things around the house :z6
I'm not supposed too, but it's the only way things get done at a pace that keeps Sandra happy :z8 What else can you do :roll

Cheers

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #28 on: 27/12/2009 at 08:26 »
You will notice that it says "just for fun"
Yer I did Sandy - I just like the sound of my own typing :grin

Anyway, I'll let you get back to your hoovering  :shock  I take it they do have carpets over there?  :z8

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #29 on: 27/12/2009 at 10:40 »
No carpets, all tiles :z16

Back to flies :z18
I've played with some smaller versions that might be more suitable for back home :z12

Using size 1 hooks and 5/16ths eyes, use a few less fibres too , just trim the wings to the desired shape and length.

We have a Roach or salmon parr, tied as per the Ghost but using Slate EP fibers

Then a Trout or minnow, same again but a mixing some yellow slinky into the white and using Everglades 3D EP fibers

Then if you add some markings with a waterproof pen, in this case purple (or black,dark olive), you can turn it into a trout parr or perch

Despite being a Size 1 these are light enough to throw on lightweight trout gear (probably even a 3) and they will sink pretty quick as there is no bulk to hold air.
I reckon they could be a very handy addition to the river box. Streamers without the weight, but will still sink (could be cast with just the dryfly rod, just in case :wink)
Not sure if they may need a small weed guard at the front for the river :z8
Other colours would be easy to do, i just thought these helped to illustrate some possibilities :z16

Sandy

Additional. I have done a couple of head shots to show you the profile to try and achieve.

This info was lacking from the intial post :oops

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com