Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

By the dozen?
« on: 26/11/2009 at 22:54 »
Hi folks :cool:

Been thinking, as you do :z3

Why are flies sold by the dozen and not in tens? Life is so much easier in tens :z13

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

Re: By the dozen?
« Reply #1 on: 27/11/2009 at 08:46 »
If you look back at old Hardy catalogues, you will see that flies were sold by the half and full dozen. I guess because fly anglers are so stuck in there ways  :z7 :wink they just arnt able adjust to decimal!

Same goes for fish weights...why do we weigh in pounds and ounces when everything else is Kg..I know I do it because a 20 pound Pike sounds so much bigger than a 9.07 Kg one  :z16

Irvine Ross

« Reply #2 on: 27/11/2009 at 09:10 »

Why are flies sold by the dozen and not in tens? Life is so much easier in tens :z13

Same reason eggs are sold by the dozen and there were 12 pennies in an old pound and 12 inches in a foot. You can split a dozen into half, a quarter or a third and they are all whole numbers (6, 3, 4). You can't do that with 10. Life would be easier if we worked in decimal units of 12 :z16

Irvine

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2009 at 17:12 »
Hi Rob & Irvine :z16

I would prefer flies in tens and yet I would not be happy with fish in kilos, pounds and ounces for fish just sounds right :z4

I have some strange ideas sometimes :z3

Best wishes
Mike

Bronzebommer

« Reply #4 on: 27/11/2009 at 18:43 »
That all sounds good, but some American thought it was a good idea to come up with metric feet just to confuse things ::) (10 inches to the foot).
Both have their advantages I suppose. When my kids were born the hospital recorded their weight in gramms but had to convert it back in to pounds for us.

Matt

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 29/11/2009 at 10:10 »
Hi Rob & Irvine :z16

I would prefer flies in tens and yet I would not be happy with fish in kilos, pounds and ounces for fish just sounds right :z4

I have some strange ideas sometimes :z3

Best wishes
Mike

I would say you were perfectly normal Mike!!! But do you prefer to buy your fuel in Gallons, for your car to do MPG and MPH and your sweets by the "quarter" ;)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com