Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ryan

philorth
« on: 26/11/2009 at 19:39 »
hi guys was wondering if anyone had fished the waters of philorth if so did they catch anything as i might try it next year wondering if its worth a look

cheers  :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: philorth
« Reply #1 on: 26/11/2009 at 19:47 »
Ryan

The Broch angling club has the rights to the Philorth , not sure if you can get day tickets? It used to get a decent Sea-Trout run.

:z18

Jim

ryan

« Reply #2 on: 26/11/2009 at 19:59 »
cheers jim heard you can buy day tickets and yearly tickets at the pet shop just wondering if its worth fishing its only supposed to £2 for a day and £10 for the year suppose its cheap and worth a try  :z18

Michael Buchan

« Reply #3 on: 27/11/2009 at 09:13 »
Ryan

I used to fish the Philorth when i was at school with the worm we only caught flounders, eels and the odd finnock at the mouth of the river but we never had a clue was only 11-12. However we did pass a guy deep in the thickest reeds further upstream he had a couple 10-12 inchers on worms half way between the estuary and the road bridge, couldnt really fly fish that part though as is pretty deep and thick with reeds etc.  I know a guy who fishes the mouth ocasionaly he catches a few finnock. The part i was wanting to try even bought a 7foot 3# for it but never got round to it before moving to aberdeen was just out the Line past the golf course you cross over the river you always see pleanty fish rising probably small but always wanted to try wading upstream from there you couldnt really fish from the bank as thick vegitation either side, rivers only about 3-4 feet wide.  Had a look further upstream in the car once if you head out the peterhead road and turn left just after the road to Gash down past the house with the duck pond you cross the river in what looks like a nice pool that would be worth a cast about 7-8 feet wide, its mostly farmland around here so access to the river proably would be easier.  Give me a shout how you get on, i go back to the broch every week or so so ill probably have a bash myself sometime this year.  Permits used to be about 50p a day £5 a year if i remeber.

Cheers
Michael     

ryan

« Reply #4 on: 27/11/2009 at 09:59 »
cheers micheal going down town today see if i can find out more let you know when i do  :z18

Dave Mundie

« Reply #5 on: 27/11/2009 at 16:27 »
Ryan,

G Ritchie  on the forum is a member of the broch angling club he might be able to give you more info.

Dave

ryan

« Reply #6 on: 27/11/2009 at 19:10 »
cheers dave went to the pet shop today they said you can buy a yearly permit for £10 in april

Dave Mundie

« Reply #7 on: 27/11/2009 at 19:24 »
Ryan is that the pet shop up by the bus station?

Dave

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #8 on: 27/11/2009 at 19:33 »
The Philorth only permit covers the water from the old bridge on the Cairnbulg road down to the sea. The Fraserburgh angling club have the fishing rights all the way up to the bridge on the road between the main Fraserburgh to Aberdeen road and Gowanhill. The fishing above the old bridge on the Cairnbulg road is restricted to angling club members only. It is well worth puting your name on the waiting list for the angling club if you have not already done so. The Philorth is a small pretty overgrown burn, but has a healthy population of brown trout, although they tend to be fairly small. There are also a few sea trout in the summer, finnock, plus flounders and eels. It does have a very small salmon run, but they are very rarely caught, I caught 1 about 10 years ago and I have only heard of one since.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 27/11/2009 at 20:55 »
Graham

Could you let me have the details of the Broch club , I'd like to put my name on the waiting list.

:z18

Jim

ryan

« Reply #10 on: 28/11/2009 at 10:38 »
hi dave yes its the pet shop by the bus station

Dave Mundie

« Reply #11 on: 29/11/2009 at 18:03 »
@ ryan thought they had stopped doing anything fishing related.

@ Jim its quite a wait lot of older members and unfortunately its a case of waiting for them to pop off (i mean it in the nicest way) before there's a place.

Dvae

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com