Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Whats your favourite winter fly ?
« Reply #45 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:53 »
You'll need some on the Soca? Slovenia next year.

Here's what I like to drop off a Klink on running water

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #46 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:59 »
I like the look of that nymph Iain ........ excellent stuff :z16

You know what I'm gonna say: "step.............." :z4

Cheers
Mike

ryan

« Reply #47 on: 26/11/2009 at 19:03 »
sometimes when i need to get down quickly i use nylon i got for sea fishing it tends to go down quicker than most fly leaders it usually a wee bit thicker than normal leader someone once gave me it to replace the line on my sea rod bought and used it many times since its also cheaper as its usually a longer spool you get for your money cant remember the name of the stuff but you get it in dicks sports in fraserburgh hope to see you on sunday clark look for the five foot ten lad with a green suit and red hat with a six foot two mate with a stupid grin on his face and grey hair  :z16

Iain Goolager

« Reply #48 on: 26/11/2009 at 19:07 »
Hi Ryan,

five foot ten lad with a green suit and red hat with a six foot two mate with a stupid grin on his face and grey hair

is Maid Marion going too?

Only jokin' hope you have a good days fishin'

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #49 on: 26/11/2009 at 21:08 »
Hi Mike,
What in your opinion constitutes an indicator or bung and is Haddo totally "foam free" or is it just boobies that are banned?  Not trying to be  controversial here but I am fairly sure I could tie a Klink or G & H sedge big enough to support a gold head blob, a Klink with a large yellow & pink post would be as visible as a fish pimp or thingamabollocks indicator.  Is it the method that is the issue for you or the "hardware" usually used by those fishing the method, eg foam flies?  I would ban blue or red hooks but there again, I am bitter & twisted  :z4

Baz, PM me your adress and I will send you something on condition that you give them a review and we get some pics.

Cheers

Ben

Pm sent Ben  :wink
Better not be posting me thingymabobers, if you are make sure they are monster sized ones  :z4

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #50 on: 26/11/2009 at 21:48 »
Re. the apps bloodworm,  i cant see the advantage of the beads. I just tie mine with red thread and a couple of coats of hard as nails. No difference in the catch rates.

Iain, where did you get the quill for the body on that nymph? I have stripped peackock eyes but they dont look like that when they are done! :oops
Is it a different type of feather?

Paul

Iain Goolager

« Reply #51 on: 26/11/2009 at 22:03 »
Hi Paul.

Firstly I buy peacock feathers as opposed to pre packed strands.
The short strands which make up the eye of the feather are ideal and require minimal stripping, or defluffing.
This one is from a dyed Chartreuse feather (Artifly).

obviously other strands can be used but I like these.

hope it helps

Iain

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #52 on: 26/11/2009 at 22:08 »
Thanks for that mate. Will get onto artifly site and order some.  :z18

Dave Olley

« Reply #53 on: 27/11/2009 at 23:29 »
"I also agree that bungs should be banned and people should learn to fish with a floater and see takes for themselves!
Its becoming more like coarse fishing every day, now those thingymabobers are selling like hot cakes and thats practically bubble float fishing."

That's an interesting comment. It is nothing like coarse fishing.
Fly fishing tackle and tactics are much more basic and crude than coarse fishing when done correctly and fly fishing under a bung is even more so.
As for bubble floats, I am afraid that they are a tool used by game fishermen rather than coarse fishermen.
I have to say though that I do occasionally use one to help present a floating bait on the surface when fishing for carp :z12

Derek 365

« Reply #54 on: 01/12/2009 at 03:54 »
Buzzers under an indicator :wink your hands will be a lot warmer this winter .

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com