Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: Whats your favourite winter fly ?
« Reply #30 on: 26/11/2009 at 12:30 »
Its becoming more like coarse fishing every day,

Ahem..lol.I beg your pardon  :z7

I would never consider using 2-4 hooks, casting out and waiting for a stockie to hang itself on heavy gear ;)

Have to agree with those Thingymabobers..I pass a fishery every day and I can see them from the roadside from 60-80 yards away!!! Not very subtle at all!

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #31 on: 26/11/2009 at 12:33 »
At the risk of opening a can of worms I would suggest that the problem may not be the technique but the person on the other end of the line.  If the use of indicators was band would the people who had been using indicator not just start fishing with a buoyant fly instead?

I would agree with that statement entirely. I watched two people on a boat fishing boobies. One held the rod, kept in touch with the flies and struck when he felt a take..the other chap cast out, laid the rod across the boat and sat and waited until the tip pulled round.

To me, one was fly fishing, the other was effectively ledgering (quivertipping).

« Reply #32 on: 26/11/2009 at 12:59 »
Jimminy,

Any pattern using more than one bead (two small small beads tied perpendracula to the hook shank is accepted  :z7) is a crass abuse of our devolved rights to tie flies.

Any fish feasting on something from Beaverbrooks window deserves to get eaten! :wink

Iain

Could this be the exception that proves the rule? http://www.czechnymphs.com/tactics/tactics_2003_010.html:grin

ryan

« Reply #33 on: 26/11/2009 at 14:25 »
hi i am new to using this forum i would like to say i have been reading comments on here for a while and would like to say got some helpfull tips from you guys in winter the fly that has been most succsesfull for me is the orange zonker fished near the bottom caught many fish with that found that with a slow retreive the fish give a good bang and then rip line from you also green and black lures at any depth at where i usually fish the loch of logie tried the bloodworm a few times dont think i am fishing them correctly can anyone give me tips on depth and speed of retreive to fish them i would recomend the orange zonker to anyone been succsesfull at haddo and very succsesfull at lochter for me

ps hopeing to fish haddo this weekend or next hope tosee some of you guys there :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #34 on: 26/11/2009 at 15:25 »
Could this be the exception that proves the rule?

Roberto, fair spy BUT the industry has seen the error if its' ways  :wink and designed the Bidoz Body (single weighted system with the desired undershape) so I'm sticking to my moral high ground :z4

By the way, it's the multi plastic type beads that brings the bile  :z10

Here's a quote by John Tyzak after using the fly....
" Although I'm delighted to catch such a specimen I want to apologise to the fishing brotherhood for the use of such a multi beaded fly"  as read in the Dressmakers Monthly July 2003 edition.

It's true   :roll

Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #35 on: 26/11/2009 at 15:43 »
So you wont like these then Iain ;)

:z7

Not mine I hasten to add although the shrimpy ones look interesting :)

ryan

« Reply #36 on: 26/11/2009 at 16:23 »
i have used flys simaler to the ones rob has shown on loch of logie worked well i will use any fly that seems to work i think trying new flys and designs is part of fly fishing and it can is really satisfying when you try something new that works although i like to use tradititional flys sometimes you get angry :mad and frustrated after day fishing and you get nothing if it means fishing a beaded fly then why not as long as it legal in that fishery where is the harm being done i will take advantage of any fly that can pull my line tight and put a smile on my face  :grin :grin :grin :grin

clark

« Reply #37 on: 26/11/2009 at 17:43 »
Hi ryan, I will be at haddo on sunday so if you come along i will quite happily show you how to fish this pattern because it is usually my go to fly at this time of year  :z16 just look out for the 6'4 16 year old with hippy hair  :z4  :z4  :z4

clark

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:06 »
Hi folks :cool:

I am always a tad wary of posting in threads like this, as it is obviously easy for me to become the "bad guy fishery owner come purist" :oops

I know of one local fishery that bans indicators in competitions and another that only allows their use with bonafide buzzers. I also know of a couple of local clubs that don't allow them in their competitions. So I am confident that I am not the only person with concerns regarding their use and of course, I do not currently have any rules against them at Haddo.

For the moment I will do my very best to keep an open mind and allow folk to enjoy their sport as they wish, but, if I see as many folk using them with lures and blobs etc as I did last winter ...... I will ban them altogether as I can't see any alternative way forward.

My main concerns obviously being aggressive striking and flies being left in the fish when the leader breaks. Aggressive, bad casting is another issue, anglers desperately trying to cast with heavy lines to carry the indicator, which disturbs the water and puts the fish down. I remember very clearly a cracking morning at the loch one day this year where everybody was enjoying great sport with dries, spiders and nymphs and 4 anglers came along and started fishing just after midday with indicators in this manner, within about 15 to 20 minutes nobody was catching fish on the whole loch :shock and I can remember feeling quite embarrassed that I had let these anglers on the water and spoilt everybody else's sport :oops

Best wishes
Mike

« Reply #39 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:18 »
Iain, Touché!  :z4 We could always do away with weighting flies and put lead shot on the leader instead :z7, oops I think I just went too far  :oops

Iain Goolager

« Reply #40 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:21 »
Hi Rob or should I say Satan! :grin
The shrimps look interesting from the side but like squashed jelly babies or fruit gums from above

The second picture is what I'm talking about Lazy,Lazy,Lazy, ugly ugly, horrid things.

Third picture - result of Tyers Block at the vise day?

you really are a one :roll

Callum get your hair cut!

Iain

« Reply #41 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:23 »
Mike, I am not familiar with how people fish lures and blobs in conjunction with Indicators.  Are they fished static?

Iain Goolager

« Reply #42 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:28 »
lead shot on the leader instead , oops I think I just went too far

or a wye lead perhaps for those difficult to get to lies :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #43 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:37 »
Mike, I am not familiar with how people fish lures and blobs in conjunction with Indicators.  Are they fished static?

Yes, mostly static Robbie and sometimes with a very slow buzzer like retrieve.

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #44 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:41 »
or a wye lead perhaps for those difficult to get to lies :z4

I am quite happy to admit to using tungsten and non toxic shot on the leader to get small nymphs down deep in fast water or deep pools when required, don't like doing it but sometimes it is required.  Used a lot on the US on rivers.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com