Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

clark

Whats your favourite winter fly ?
« on: 22/11/2009 at 12:42 »
Hi guys, hadn't posted in a long time so i thought i would ask you a quetion that most people will be spinning thruogh their heads every time they go fishing over the winter months. What is your best catching winter fly ??? Now dont be keeping back the details like one fellow angler did to me last moth and said  " am usin nymphs mate"....... thats all he said  :shock

Mike Livingstone

Re: Whats your favourite winter fly ?
« Reply #1 on: 22/11/2009 at 13:21 »
My favourite winter fly is the one I am tying at that time with a glass of whisky beside it!

I am not much of a winter fisher but when I do it is probably a size 16 tungsten goldhead hares ear.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 22/11/2009 at 21:01 »
As a traditionalist , I fish the traditional Cats Whisker  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 22/11/2009 at 21:30 »
Traffic light cormorant , closely followed by a Corneto  :wink

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #4 on: 22/11/2009 at 21:38 »
I have always done well with cats whiskers and boobies but recently i have been using aps bloodworms. They seem to pick up fish all year.
GRHE is always a safe bet too. Fished very slow on an intermediate.  :z16

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 23/11/2009 at 08:21 »
A red hook with 3 to 8 turns of red wire, depending on the depth I want.

Will sometimes coat the whole thing in ultra violet reflective nail varnish for an extra pull.

TROUT-SALMON

« Reply #6 on: 23/11/2009 at 18:32 »
My Favourite Winter fly is Aps bloodworm i do well all year round with this fly  :z18 :z16 :z12
Tyler

Jim Eddie

« Reply #7 on: 23/11/2009 at 19:19 »
Apps Blood worm works well for me at Haddo and Waulkmill , never had a touch on it at Braeside , though I have had Wild Brownies on it at Fedderate.

Jim

GARYBOY

« Reply #8 on: 23/11/2009 at 19:20 »
probably cats whisker or yellow dancer  :shock either that or my BRIGHT pink bunny leech :shock :shock

Jay Scott

« Reply #9 on: 23/11/2009 at 21:13 »

A sunburst damsel  :cool:

Jay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 23/11/2009 at 21:35 »
In the absence of surface activity the Apps is a banker for me too.

clark

« Reply #11 on: 24/11/2009 at 20:52 »
WoW ! I think thats the most replies i've ever had to a post before :) I must admit that and apps blood worm is also a really banker for me with hares ear and black buzzer close behind it  :z16

clark

Iain Goolager

« Reply #12 on: 24/11/2009 at 21:18 »
Just thought I'd make myself unpopular.........................

what's the story with the Apps (ok it's not an Apps but a variant) that has a beaded body - that's ugly and not cricket. :o

clark

« Reply #13 on: 24/11/2009 at 22:52 »
I think its just to give that wee extra bit of attraction  :z4 Certainly the beads i use have a reflection shiny coatin on them which glistens when is in the water but who knows what was going on in the head of the person ??? we probably never know  :z4

clark

Jim Eddie

« Reply #14 on: 25/11/2009 at 12:52 »
Just thought I'd make myself unpopular.........................

what's the story with the Apps (ok it's not an Apps but a variant) that has a beaded body - that's ugly and not cricket. :o

Iain

Cricket is a game played in America I think, its a bit like rounders  :wink Now I've clarified that for you  :grin Here's  my take on the beaded bloodworm or any other similar variant fly which could cause angst.

1. If any fly or variant is banned from a Loch , River Beat or fishery absolutley no problem with that, stick to the rules.

2. If its not banned do what Jimminy Cricket says and let your consience be your guide  :z12

3. Even I have my limits as to what I will and won't use  :cool: but I have a live and let live attitude to others who have their own limits  :wink 

Jim       

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com