Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Winter Trout Fishing
« on: 18/11/2009 at 16:43 »
Hi folks :cool:

It's that time of year again, the river trout fishing is closed and I start to see some of you at the fishery that tend to prefer to fish the rivers throughout the season.

What do you most enjoy about fishing for rainbow trout on a small stillwater in the winter?

Many folk think cold water and therefore lures fished deeply at this time of year, but in reality, flies like bloodworm, spiders, buzzers, wee damsels and Hare's lugs on a floating line can be very productive on the right day. There are also days when a large-ish dry fly can be fun :z17

Best wishes
Mike

Paul Garrigan

Re: Winter Trout Fishing
« Reply #1 on: 18/11/2009 at 17:42 »
I had a strange experience last winter. The loch was frozen when we arrived so the owner had kindly taken a boat out to break up the thin ice which would let us fish at least a small part of the loch. I had cast too far (which is never usually an issue with me!!) and the red head damsel i was using landed on a block of floating ice. When i stripped it back, as soon as it hit the water i had a take!!!

We spent the rest of the day casting onto the ice and were getting loads of takes as the lures were hitting the water. The fish must have been following them on the ice and hitting them when they dropped!! Was excellent fishing!  :z16

Have any of you ever experienced this before? Has this happened at Haddo Mike? The fishery i was at was a place callled Carman Dam near Loch Lomond.

Ps....I know that wasnt really what you asked but thought i would share. Lol :oops :z7

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 18/11/2009 at 17:49 »
Hi Paul :z16

Yes, I've seen this happening at Haddo after breaking the ice and the fish do seem to follow the fly and wait for it to go in the water :cool:

"not really what I asked" ...... well it is in a way, because this was obviously something that made a winter's day interesting and fun :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 19/11/2009 at 09:21 »
I prefer trouting in the winter as you have to really think about your fishing. Its not obvious where the trout are as they tend not to show themselves so much.

Trying to work out what they are feeding on, at what depth, at what speed etc is, well, in my opinion, more challenging than in the summer when fish can be seen or other anglers catching around you.

I also like the challenge of trying to take them on something unusual..such as a dry fly in a snow shower ;) Never have yet!

Tend to fish an intermediate line and let the flies really search the water.

Best of all is the condition of the fish in winter...fighting fit!

As for the bit about the flies on ice..not had it with trout, but have had it with Pike. Landing a large "mouse" on the ice and them dragging across into the water had Pike slashing at it. Great fun!

Jim Eddie

« Reply #4 on: 19/11/2009 at 19:32 »
There is no such thing as cold weather , only the wrong clothes, dress for the cold and you'll be fine. The Rainbows don't mind, its much colder in the Pacific North West than it is in Scotland, last but not least it beats Christmas shopping  :z4

:z18

Jim 

Mike Barrio

« Reply #5 on: 19/11/2009 at 19:35 »
It was a cracking day for fishing today Jim, I'm sure the temperature was well above 10 degrees :z16

Cheers
Mike

Stuart Smith

« Reply #6 on: 21/11/2009 at 11:20 »
hi paul

i use to fish carman dam alot.thats where i started fly fishing.ive cast onto ice there a had fish when the flys hit the water.it was amazing sport

stuart

Mike Livingstone

« Reply #7 on: 22/11/2009 at 13:24 »
Tme most enjoyable thiing about winter small water rainbow fishing is that first take when you least expect it.  Winter fishing is something that I don't do a lot of but it is a great way to get rid of cabin fever and getting some fresh air at that timeof year and forget about worrying what to get the wofe for Christmas.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #8 on: 22/11/2009 at 17:22 »
Even in winter I feel its important to give the fish what they are feeding on so for me it would have to be

The orange blob :grin

Jim Eddie

« Reply #9 on: 30/11/2009 at 19:44 »
Well as Mike mentioned in this weeks report, numbers seem to be down at this time of year. I was at Waulkmill yesterday and never saw another sole.

A bit cold but not to bad , fished quite well , certainly better than being trailled round Union Square  :z4

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 01/12/2009 at 00:04 »
I was at Waulkmill yesterday and never saw another sole

George really is stocking some weird stuff nowadays! :z4

Hope you had a good time Jim, I really need to wet a line sometime soon.

Iain

Noel Kelly

« Reply #11 on: 01/12/2009 at 07:11 »
I very rarely fish during winter as I cant bear having cold hands :oops However I will grab the odd few hours if its mild and the cabin fever gets too bad. So Saturday morning headed to Lochter. DI7 and two lures and had 3 fish in first 4 casts :grin Went on to have 10 in about 2 hrs, great fun.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com