Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Deer hair emerger
« on: 12/11/2009 at 20:56 »
Having just looked at Irvine's excellent SBS it got me thinking about this fly. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that these were tyed originally by Bob Wyatt and tested by him with great success on our beloved river Don.
My question is do any of you fish these with any success? I'm presuming you do Irvine?
They look the business, float like a cork,are easy to see, but I just cant convince a trout to try one :cry
I had two rows of these in various shades in my box which have now been relegated to one of the forgotten compartments. I have never had a trout on one from the Don.           

Ben Dixon

Re: Deer hair emerger
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2009 at 21:14 »
Hi Noel,

I do catch on them but prefer a klink, just have more confidence in Kilnkhamers.  Have caught on DHE's in very small sizes during micro caddis hatches and have done quite well early season with them when fish are on LDO's or MB's.

Cheers

Ben

Irvine Ross

Re: Deer hair emerger
« Reply #2 on: 13/11/2009 at 08:50 »
Noel

The DHE is my most successful fly in the spring when fish are rising to a hatch of LDOs or March Browns. I find if you put it in the right place it is rarely refused.

It does need to float upright so only put floatant on the wing and thorax. I once tied a couple with the wing too long and they would always topple sideways and float on their side with the wing in the water. They caught nothing.

Cheers
Irvine

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com