Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Re: Barbless Hooks?
« Reply #30 on: 23/11/2009 at 22:37 »
Hi folks :cool:

Dohiku Hooks - HDN 302

I think we have found our wet fly hook. I got them from Phil at Spiders Plus from his new website at www.flytyingboutique.com. When you open the website, follow the "Shop" link, then the "Hooks" link, then the "DOHIKU" link, read the blurb then click on the "DOHIKU" image link, then you want the second image down on the left, the one for the hook model "HDN302".

I already have some of these hooks and I think they are just what I was looking for ...... and Phil has very kindly offered to give forum members some discount so you can try them out for yourselves, just enter "BARRIO" in the promo code box in the checkout, click on apply code and you will get a 10% saving for all orders placed before 31 December 2009 :wink

Some of the other hook models also look very interesting and worth trying :z17

In my experience, Phil offers a first class mail order service!

Hope you find these useful
Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #31 on: 23/11/2009 at 23:08 »
14's and 16's ordered.

Cheers Mike

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #32 on: 23/11/2009 at 23:20 »
14's and 16's ordered.

Cheers Mike

Iain

Great stuff Iain

I hope you like them.

Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #33 on: 24/11/2009 at 08:11 »
Owwwwww..they look nice..very nice indeed! That last hook on the second page, the Klinkhammer one..wow!

Iain Goolager

« Reply #34 on: 24/11/2009 at 21:36 »
Knapeks at it again!! :z8
View My Video

Mike Barrio

« Reply #35 on: 24/11/2009 at 21:41 »
View My Video

Hmmm, not good, I haven't seen a hook do that before :z6

They had a good reputation too :roll

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #36 on: 24/11/2009 at 21:59 »
Mike,

That's the 1st in 10 ties over the last two days with the Knapek Nymph. It's the reason I stopped using them before and if my memory serves me well the ratio before may have been similar.
As I bought them all at the same time (from the same batch? fairly likely) it may have been a QA/QC issue.

I had the exact same issue with a Fulling Mill 31550 or 31180 but it was just the one hook.
Fortunately they don't pass the strains imposed during the tying process.

do you think Uri Geller buys his spoons from them?   :z10 

Iain

buzzer

« Reply #37 on: 24/11/2009 at 22:09 »
Hi Mike,
           Have used the HDG 644 for tying buzzers and find them great no problems at all.

Tom.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #38 on: 24/11/2009 at 22:13 »
Hi Mike,
           Have used the HDG 644 for tying buzzers and find them great no problems at all.

Tom.
Great stuff Tom

Yes, that looks like a nice hook too :wink

Best wishes
Mike

Ben Dixon

« Reply #39 on: 24/11/2009 at 22:41 »
View My Video

Iain,

Heat them up in a gas flame then plunge them into cold water, should sort out the problem.  May make them brittle but I have never had a hook snap on me.  I do this quite a lot with very small fine wired dry fly hooks to prevent them straightening on big fish.

Cheers

Ben

Mike Barrio

« Reply #40 on: 27/04/2010 at 22:53 »
A number of you bought the Dohiku hooks from Phil ....... How have you found them, now that you've had time to tie loads of flies with them and catch a few fish?

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com