Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Please post your November step by step fly tying competition entries in this thread :z16

For details about this competition, please see http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2293.0

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Irvine Ross

Re: November "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #1 on: 12/11/2009 at 18:01 »
OK here goes with the Deer Hair Emerger

Dressing:
Hook - Kamasan B110
Thread - brown ( Power Silk is my choice)
Thorax - hare's ear underfur
Rib- Tag end of tying thread
Wing - deer hair (roe or coastal deer)
Thorax - spiky hair from hare's ear

1 - Wind thread down the hook to the end of the bend, leaving a long tag for the rib, and wind back up to the tying in point for the wing

2- Snip off a thin bunch of deer hair

3 - Even up the tips of the hair in the stacker and hold at the tying in point. The length of the wing is no more than twice the length from the tying in point to the eye

4 - Pinch and loop to start tying in the wing with loose turns getting tighter as you proceed down. The hair will flare a bit at this point but you will bunch it up again later.

5 - Trim off the butt ends of the hair, careful not to cut the tag end of the tying thread, and run the thread down to the bottom of the shank.

6 - Dub the abdomen starting at the bottom. As you reach the wing, bunch up the hair and take a couple of turns of thread to keep it in place.

7 - Run up the tag end of thread as the rib and tie off in front of the wing. If you are using power silk it is very slippery so double over and wrap again before cutting.

8- Run the thread to just behind the eye and begin dubbing back towards the wing. Wrap in tight to hold the wing in place.

9 - Wind the thread back through the dubbing to the eye and whip finish. That's it :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #2 on: 12/11/2009 at 19:30 »
Excellent Irvine :z16

A first class "step by step" to get the competition going and it looks like a real fish catcher too :wink

I think you should win a bonus prize for being the first entry in the competition! ...... Let me know via PM which fly line you would like from the range ( including the new "Outcast" when the stock arrives ) and I'll send you one in the post.

Great stuff
Best wishes
Mike

Jay Scott

« Reply #3 on: 12/11/2009 at 19:58 »
Good stuff Irvine  :z16 Looks great...

Wasn't sure to post in the this thread so i thought i'd wait until someone else did first  :z7

Great though =]

Jay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #4 on: 12/11/2009 at 20:26 »
Well done Irvine,

I've just had the briefest of squints at your SBS and must say that that has set the standard for photographic quality.
Well done again

Iain

Jay Scott

« Reply #5 on: 12/11/2009 at 21:15 »

Here's my SBS... decided to go something simple yet effective.

'Cocktail Blob'

Dressing
Hook - Scorpion Competition Heavy sz 10
Thread - Uni 8/0 Fire Orange
Tail - Pearl Flashabou
Back Body - Yellow Standard Fritz
Front Body - Orange UV 15mm Fritz

Materials and tools used

1- Lock the thread and wind down the shank until you meet the bend of the hook.

2- Select four strands of the flashabou

3- Secure the flashabou with a few turns of thread

4- Double the flashabou back and cover with a layer of thread, this gives you a tail that will not be pulled off.

5- Prepare the fritz by pulling off a bunch of fibres to reveal the core (I used orange for demonstration purposes)

6- Secure the yellow fritz and wind in touching turns up the shank until half way pulling the fibres back as you go to allow a tidy body.

7- Follow on with the orange fritz until you meet the eye of the hook. Form a head and tie off.

Apply varnish and its ready to fish!  :cool:

Cheers,

Jay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #6 on: 12/11/2009 at 21:28 »
Great stuff Jay :cool:
First a Deer Hair Emerger, then a Cocktail Blob ....... excellent variety :z16

And all the photos so far are the right size for forum use!

Thanks for posting
Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 12/11/2009 at 22:01 »
The Executioner

Dressing:
Hook: a salmon double size 8 - 12
Silk: red
Tag: Fine oval silver tinsel
Tail: yellow golden pheasant topping
Butt: Red silk floss
Body: silver holographic tinsel
Rib: fine oval silver tinsel
Throat hackle: black cock hackle
Wing: black artic fox
Cheeks: jungle cock eyes
Head: red varnish

Wind the silk from the eye down to just before the bend, locking in the silk to keep it tightly bound

Tie in the silver oval tinsel and make four turns back towards the bend, take the end between the two halves of the hook and bring it back towards the eye before tying it down, trim off the excess

Tie in two golden pheasant topping fibres and tie them in over the tag, making the tips go just past the end of the hook.

Take the silk forward to catch in the stubs and help to keep the body a similar size

Tie in the rib, then take the silk back to the eye and tie in some red silk floss

Take the floss down the end of the shank and then back up to the eye leaving room for tying in the wing

Tie in some silver holographic tinsel, take it back down the body leaving the floss butt showing and then bring it back to the eye. 

Rib the body winding in the opposite direction from which the tinsel was tied in.

Tie in some black cock hackles as a throat hacle,  I like to leave them attached the hackle and pull the hackle back until the fibres just touch the points of the hook

Trim off the excess and select some black artic fox for the wing, give it a good brush out to get rid of the guard fur

Tie in the artic fox so that its just ever so slightly longer than the tail, moisten and twist the excess to make a nice clean trimmed end to bring the silk down over

Select two jungle cock eyes and tie them in either side of the head.  Whip finish, give it one coat of clear varnish to seal the silk, followed by one coat of red varnish and a further two coats of clear varnish.  Et voila

Cheers Matt  :z18 :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 12/11/2009 at 22:05 »
Another cracker, nice one Matt.
Was thinking along the Salmon fly line myself.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 12/11/2009 at 22:43 »
Great stuff Matt  :cool:
Nice to see a salmon fly step by step  :z16

Thanks for posting
Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 17/11/2009 at 23:37 »
Materials;
1” Copper tube
Power Silk
Gold Mylar Tinsel
Gold Angel Hair
UV Hot Orange Ice Dub
Fine Oval Gold Tinsel
Schlappen Black feather
Schlappen Orange feather
2 x Junglecock feathers
Orange Templedog
Black Arctic Fox
Orange Krystal Flash

1)   Set tube in vise (I’m waiting for a proper tube holder so have held it in this manner temporarily) and I’ve set it to approx where the plastic hook sleeve will terminate. Wax thread and apply a few wraps.

2)   Catch in Gold Mylar Tinsel and wrap down the tube. I’ve opened the wraps along the BODY section but closed the wraps where the TAG will sit. Bring the thread back up to the tag tying off point, still in close wraps.

3)   I apply a touch of ZAP-A-GAP along the tag area and wind the on the Mylar tinsel. Hopefully a little neater than this! Tie off the tinsel.

4)   Tie in a few strands of Angel Hair. This should be done by taking a length of fibres, approx. half the amount of strands required and tying them in at their midpoint. Folding back and locking down the forward facing fibres will make up the volume and ensure that they are secure. Cut fibres to desired length.

5)   Bring the thread back to where the wing will be tied in and tie in the Oval Gold Tinsel. Rotating the vise allows the tinsel to be tied along the underside of the tube reducing the bulk at the top of the dressing. Bring the tinsel down to where the body dubbing will begin.

6)   Wax the thread and spin on a decent rope of UV Hot Orange Ice Dub.

7)   Dub the body and secure with 4 turns of the Oval Gold Tinsel. Unwinding the Gold outer layer from the inner core allows the tinsel to be tied off with less bulk.

8)   Tie in a wing of Orange Templedog ensuring the underfur is removed to reduce bulk.

9)   Tie in 4 strands of Orange Krystal Flash using the same ‘doubling over’ method as used for the Angel Hair. Cut to desired length.

10)   Tie in a decent length of Black Arctic Fox over the Templedog underwing again remove any underfur to reduce bulk.

11)   Select a suitable Black Schlappen feather for the secondary hackle and tie in. Holding the stem of the feather at an angle to the tube allows the fibres to be stroked backwards and upwards which is required to form a nice hackle (I’m still trying to perfect this) also wetting the fingers helps to keep the fibres facing in the right direction.

12)   Make 3 turns of hackle, continually stroking the fibres backwards and tie off. Trim excess.

13)   Perform the same steps with the Orange Schlappen primary hackle.

14)   Tie in another 4 strands of Orange Krystal Flash. Length is to personal preference.

15)   Select 2 suitable Junglecock feathers and remove the fibres from along the stem leaving only the eye sections. Tie them in symmetrically along the centre of the tube. Fold over both stems so that they are backwards facing and bind down. Cut off excess stems.

16)   Select 2 Peacock Herl fibres from the feather and run your thumbnail in an arc along them, this will give the curve that allows them to follow the profile of the wing. Tie them in at the head and bind down securely. Remove excess at head & tail if necessary. I have no preference as to whether the natural tapered tip of the herl reaches the tip of the over wing or if the herl is cut abruptly at that point.

17)   Apply a drop of superglue to the thread and finish off head. I have coloured the white thread with a red marker as I’ve run out of Black Power Silk & can’t find my Black marker??? but I think it makes for a nice finish. I apply a coat of Sally Hansen HAN just to finish off.

18)   Some previous samples. I think this is a basic but versatile fly, tying them in Black & Orange, Black & Yellow, Black & Green will, I’m sure cover a few angles for you.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 18/11/2009 at 14:49 »
Some nice flies there lads :z18

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 18/11/2009 at 17:19 »
Materials;
Gold Mylar Tinsel
Schlappen Black feather
Schlappen Orange feather

Nice tube that.  Although have you not splashed out on an HMH vice adaptor yet?  Only about twenty quid, I think eumer do one too. 

And what exactly is schlappen?

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 19/11/2009 at 00:03 »
Hi Matt,

I'm waiting on the needle tube fly vise/ adaptors from Greys of Kilsyth - hopefully it'll be good for this type of tube. I still like my Hakans needle type thing for regular stuff.

Schlappen feathers have longish mobile and webby fibres and a fairly thin and flexible stem so are ideal for Salmon stuff. Apparently they are from the centre of the chickens' tail?
Iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #14 on: 19/11/2009 at 09:29 »
Apparently they are from the centre of the chickens' tail?
Iain

Sort of...only from the Cockeral. My Cockeral has some beautifully large ones, which have a deep bottle green sheen to them, he has to be a fast runner or they will be gone!!!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com