Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: November "step by step" fly tying competition entries
« Reply #15 on: 20/11/2009 at 20:11 »
From the cockrel? righty o then.

My Cockeral has some beautifully large ones, which have a deep bottle green sheen to them

Rob, If you can't get a turkey for Christmas I can use the bottle green feathers :wink

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #16 on: 21/11/2009 at 21:05 »
Chartreuse Cruncher Variant

Materials
Hook - size 10 Fulling Mill short shank special
Thread - UTC Fl Chartreuse 70
Rib - UTC Med mirage opal tinsel
Counter rib - x small Chartreuse Wire
Body - 2 strands of natural peacock herl
Tail - Feather fibres from a dark coloured Hen cape
Hackle - Dyed Chartreuse Jungle cock tip

1. Place hook in the vice and catch in the thread, catch in fibres for tail and tie in untill the thread hangs in line with the point of the hook.
 Return thread back up to just behind the eye.

2. Tie in the counter rib first ( Chartreuse wire) and run down to the point of the hook again, return thread back to just below the eye. Tie in the main rib ( Mirage tinsel ) and run down to the point of the hook again, return thread back to just below the eye.

3. Tie in 2 strands of natural peacock herl at the eye and run down to the point of the hook again, return thread back to just below the eye.

4. Spin the 2 strands of herl close together all the way up to below the eye to form the body, secure with thread.

5. Rib the body firstly clockwise with the mirage tinsel to below the eye and secure tinsel with the tying thread.

6. Rib the body anti clock wise with the X small Chartreuse wire to below the eye and secure with tying thread.
 This in time will save the fly from falling to bits once its pulled out a few of Mikes troot  :wink.

7. Select a piece of dyed Chartreuse Jungle cock tip from your cape. Remove one side of the hackle to keep it from getting over hackled and it will cloak the fly nicer.

8. Tie the hackle in as follows, then cut off the wee tip above the eye of the hook.

9. I normally give it 1 and a half turns of the hackle, then secure with the thread.

10. Whip finish fly and apply some Sally hansen to the head and job complete.

Tight lines
Baz.
 :z18

Jim Eddie

« Reply #17 on: 21/11/2009 at 21:55 »
Nice flee there Baz  :z16 I'm sure that will be a hit  :cool:

Just send me up a dozen  :wink Barbless mind  :z13

:z18

Jim

Mike Barrio

« Reply #18 on: 22/11/2009 at 17:49 »
Hi Baz :cool:
Nice Cruncher and step by step ...... great stuff :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #19 on: 23/11/2009 at 18:47 »
So who else is going to take part?
Surely it's not to much of an ask to take part in the tying section just once a year  :z4, plenty of views on the tying threads but just the usual suspects posting!
Lets be having some more :wink

Peter McCallum

« Reply #20 on: 23/11/2009 at 21:57 »
Maybe a bit basic for most but here goes.

Black Spider

Hook      Wet fly    12-16  in this case a Kamasan B170
Body       Black tying thread
Hackle      Black hen

1) Place the hook in the vice

2)Catch on the thread, take several touching turns towards the bend and snip off waste

3) Wind the thread, in touching turns to a point approximately above the barb then back to about 2-3mm from the eye

4) Select an appropriate hen hackle with fibres which reach approximately to the hook barb when wound. Strip the flue away from both sides of the hackle.  

5) Then pull the fibres at the front of the hackle forward and offer up the hackle to the hook

6) Pinch and loop the hackle onto the hook

7) Secure with three or four wraps then cut away waste hackle.

8) Trap hackle stalk in pliers  

9) Stroke the fibres back

10) Then wind one turn of hackle

11) Repeat step 9) & 10) twice more, secure the hackle & snip waste  

12) Form a neat head & whip finish

Et Voila the black spider, the simplest of flies but deadly on any water.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #21 on: 23/11/2009 at 22:06 »
Excellent SBS and pattern Peter. :z16

Is that purple backdrop your bedroom wallpaper?  :shock

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #22 on: 23/11/2009 at 22:10 »
Nice step by step peter, and must agree the wallpaper makes a great background  :z4

Peter McCallum

« Reply #23 on: 23/11/2009 at 22:23 »
Excellent SBS and pattern Peter. :z16

Is that purple backdrop your bedroom wallpaper?  :shock

Iain

No its purple craft foam. My wife would have a fit if I suggested purple wallpaper :shock :shock :z4 :z4

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 23/11/2009 at 22:40 »
A deep purple black spider ....... it's bound to rock :z16

Thanks for the great step by step Peter :wink

Best wishes
Mike

adambrain

« Reply #25 on: 24/11/2009 at 07:49 »
So who else is going to take part?
Surely it's not to much of an ask to take part in the tying section just once a year  :z4, plenty of views on the tying threads but just the usual suspects posting!
Lets be having some more :wink

im just getting going with tying and so far most things i tie dont look like they should but they do actually catch fish surprisingly, i will try to steal a camera from work and give it a go for comedy value. :z12

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 24/11/2009 at 21:14 »
im just getting going with tying and so far most things i tie dont look like they should but they do actually catch fish surprisingly, i will try to steal a camera from work and give it a go for comedy value.

Adambrain,

People look for different things from their fishing and its various spin offs - tying something that catches fish has to be the primary objective so your well on your way. :z16
Like everything else there are guys (& dolls) who wish to take their tying and representation skills to the n'th degree, that's a never ending journey but awesome when you see the results.
I think a large percentage of tyers are happy to work on the functional techniques and produce a nice pattern as displayed in the magazines.
There is a wealth of easy to follow and informative instruction on modern DVD's, Youtube, forum SBS's, magazines, etc. but If you don't have anyone critique your flies then progress will be slower.

There are some excellent experienced, helpfull, tyers on here and it's an opportunity missed if you don't use them.

Coming to the Orvis night?

Iain

adambrain

« Reply #27 on: 25/11/2009 at 06:59 »

There are some excellent experienced, helpfull, tyers on here and it's an opportunity missed if you don't use them.

Coming to the Orvis night?

Iain
[/quote]

Thanks goolager
I have been thinking about coming to one but finding the time is rediculous, havent even been out on the water for months. ive been on you tube and DAVE CAMMIS I find is very good for your basics.
I'll give this a go and be sociable ha ha.
Thanks again.
adam

David

« Reply #28 on: 30/11/2009 at 04:41 »
Materials  for Snatcher Variant
Kamasan B100 size 12
Olive Dun 8/0 uni thread
Fine wire olive
Peacock herl (2 strands)
Grizzle olive saddle hackle
Partridge neck feather dyed olive
Jungle cock (2 eyes)
Superglue

Step 1.Catch in the thread and wire.

Step 2.Wind the thread and wire down round to the bend and (remember to :oops)remove the thread tag.Wind the thread back up to where the peacock herl will be tied in.

Step 3.Take 2 strands of peacock herl and tie down to the wire and wind the thread back up.

Step 4.Carefully apply a small amount of superglue to the thread where the body will sit.(don't go past where the thread is hanging)

Step 5.Twist the 2 strands of herl together to form 1 herl.

Step 6.Wind the herl up in touching turns and tie down.Remove waste herl.

Step 7.Select a saddle hackle and strip the fibres from 1 side.(ps. background supplied by bt)  :wink

Step 8.Tie in the hackle and remove waste end.

Step 9.Wind the hackle down to the wire in (4 or 5) open turns.Cross the wire over the hackle and counterwind back up through the hackle to the thread.Tie down and remove waste wire and hackle.

Step 10.Select a partridge hackle.

Step 11.Tie in the hackle.

Step 12.Wind the hackle round once.Tie down and remove waste end.

Step 13.Select 2 jungle cock eyes and tie 1 down either side.

Step 14.Cut off the waste ends of jungle cock.Whipfinish and varnish the head.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #29 on: 30/11/2009 at 15:39 »
A great first step by step David, well done  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com