Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Winter Fly Tying Competition 2009 / 2010
« on: 08/11/2009 at 00:12 »
Hi folks :cool:

I have been putting some thought in to this year's Winter Fly Tying competition :z3

This year, we'll keep things online :z17 and the competition will be based on "Step by step" fly tying posts :wink

I'll start a new thread each month and those who wish to enter can post one entry post for each month. Marking will be based on the fly obviously, but will also take in to account the quality of the "step by step" instructions and the photos etc.

The prize for the winner each month ...... will be a fly line of your choice from the Barrio Range, or a boat for two anglers for a day on Haddo Trout Fishery.
I hope this proves to be good fun :z16

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Mike Barrio

Re: Winter Fly Tying Competition
« Reply #1 on: 08/11/2009 at 00:17 »
I guess it might be a good idea to ask ..... What makes a good "step by step"?

Give us some feedback on this question here and this will hopefully prove useful for the entries :wink

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

Re: Winter Fly Tying Competition 2009 / 2010
« Reply #2 on: 08/11/2009 at 10:06 »
Really good concept Mike,

I took photo's for a SBS on Friday and was unhappy with most of them so quality of photo is important. As for what makes a good SBS, I want one of your lines too badly to assist the competition :z7 :wink.

I'm assuming (if I've understood correctly) that no actual flies have to be sent?
Good, now how do you work Photoshop again?! :roll

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 08/11/2009 at 16:56 »
Really good concept Mike,

I took photo's for a SBS on Friday and was unhappy with most of them so quality of photo is important. As for what makes a good SBS, I want one of your lines too badly to assist the competition :z7 :wink.

I'm assuming (if I've understood correctly) that no actual flies have to be sent?
Good, now how do you work Photoshop again?! :roll

Iain

Hi Iain
Thanks for the feedback :z16

Yes, I see no reason to ask for the flies, I would only do this if I didn't trust folk to use their own work and this is not going to be a problem on our wee forum :wink

My initial thoughts are that I will choose the winner each month :z17 This will allow Hamish, Sandy and Ben to join in too, rather than them being roped in to help with the marking :z3 If a step by step catches my attention I can choose it to be the winner, if I have problems choosing a winner ....... I can always add a voting poll for that month if I wish :wink

As always, this is just a bit of fun. I am not necessarily looking for complicated flies, I am more interested in how helpful the step by step might be for other anglers ..... be that an angler who ties really well already, or perhaps a complete novice fly tying angler. So for example a black IPN fritz step by step may well fair better than a complicated pattern :shock

Let's try November and see how it goes ................

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 09/11/2009 at 22:06 »
Mike,

What a cracking idea. Looking forward to doing a step by step and entering.

Cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2009 at 23:26 »
Cool :z12

Are we doing themes? or is it just a case of pick what you like?

I take it we post the SBS on this thread? so we get to see them all, or do we send them to you and then you post the winner and the rest?
If so what format do we send them in?

I know a lot of questions, but i think its a great idea :z16 and am looking forward to entering for a change :z6

Cheers

Sandy

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2009 at 23:28 »
Do'h :oops

Just noticed the next post on the list :roll Sounds like the best idea to me :z16

Will try to look more carefully next time :roll

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 10/11/2009 at 23:50 »
Hi Sandy :z16

I see you've answered most of your questions :z4

Yes, just pick whatever fly you would like to do. I can always introduce themes for a future month if I feel it would be more interesting. For the moment ...... let's keep it simple! :wink

Hope you enjoy taking part
Best wishes
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #8 on: 20/11/2009 at 20:17 »
Mike,

Is there a limit to the amount of photo's that can be uploaded in a SBS?
As you will have noticed I reduced my photo's to the smaller size just in case I'd added too much and was also conscious of timing out when uploading the numerous pic's.

I didn't intentionaly make the photo's smaller so that the poor tying could be masked. :grin

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #9 on: 20/11/2009 at 20:23 »
Just a wee tip lads, if you do your Step by step on a word document then cut and paste it across it saves running the risk of timing out  and also lets you play about with it more :wink

Iain Goolager

« Reply #10 on: 20/11/2009 at 20:31 »
A1 Baz :z16
fortunately someone told me that a while back and it is the way to go.

where's your SBS?

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #11 on: 21/11/2009 at 00:01 »
Hi Iain :z16

No, there is no limit on the number of photos. Just use as many as you feel your SBS needs in order to explain or demonstrate the tying procedure well :wink

Great stuff
Best wishes
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #12 on: 01/10/2010 at 21:37 »
Its now October  :shock, how this year has flown by eh!
Any plans for a winter tying compy Mike??

Mike Barrio

« Reply #13 on: 01/10/2010 at 22:13 »
Hi Baz :z16

I thought the SBS were great last year ....... do you fancy doing these again this year?

Cheers
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #14 on: 01/10/2010 at 22:23 »
I was at the vice last night. I would be more than happy to take part again this year!

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com