Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: Flytying Night @ Orvis Banchory
« Reply #15 on: 24/11/2009 at 16:58 »
I'll be there with two guys.  Thanks again Ben.

Michael Buchan

« Reply #16 on: 26/11/2009 at 08:31 »
Thanks Ben,  Had a good night, tyed an orange conehead black wolly bugger first thing this morning so roll on March to give it a dunking.  Hopefully have a bash at the zoo cougar tonight as it looked really fishy.  Good seeing everyone look forward to the next one.

Michael

Barry Robertson

« Reply #17 on: 26/11/2009 at 10:28 »
Thanks again for last night Ben, another really enjoyable night.
Again i took home a few new ideas to play about with and was great to put some faces to forum members  :z18
Look forward to the next one  :wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #18 on: 26/11/2009 at 10:33 »
Great night and great to hear about the tactics involved too. 

Thanks Ben.

Stuart Smith

« Reply #19 on: 26/11/2009 at 12:06 »
thanks ben

it was an intresting night.ive been looking into streamers for a while but had no joy.

looking forward to the next night

stuart

Iain Goolager

« Reply #20 on: 26/11/2009 at 12:40 »
Another great evening, thanks Ben,

Always good to put faces to names,

Got a good few ideas & materials for streamer patterns but was busy last night tying new nymphs on Dihatsu hooks to replace the ones tied on Knapeks :mad

Looking forward to some pic's of streamers soon.

Iain

Irvine Ross

« Reply #21 on: 26/11/2009 at 14:01 »
Thanks to Ben for another great evening out. It gave me a lot to think about and some new patterns to try.
Hmmm now I need a fast sinking shooting head, running line, another spool for the reel - will it ever end :z12

Good to meet some new folks and put faces to names to the forum.

Here's to the next time

Irvine

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:35 »
Michael,

are you going to post photo's of the streamers that you brought along last night? - they were quality ties.

Iain

Paul Garrigan

« Reply #23 on: 26/11/2009 at 21:27 »
Yeah thanks Ben for a good night. Was good to meet you all. I will be tying up some wooly buggers at the weekend!

Will def be at the next one. :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #24 on: 26/11/2009 at 23:11 »
Sorry I couldn't make it again this time Ben :oops hopefully next time :wink

Good to see that everybody enjoyed themselves :z16

Cheers
Mike

Michael Buchan

« Reply #25 on: 27/11/2009 at 13:26 »
Iain,

I will try post some pics of the flies and do a SBS soon, still waiting on the docking staition of the camera coming back ,wife left it in South Africa when she was over getting training a mth or so ago it hasnt turned up yet, will splurge on a new one if it doesnt appear in a week or so.  It will be good try a sbs show you guys how not to tie a zoo cougar as last nights attempts didnt look like Bens thats for sure, Will use the rolly poly retrieve with them so fish wont have time to laugh at them to much.

Michael

Ben Dixon

« Reply #26 on: 27/11/2009 at 21:00 »
Many thanks to all who attended, pleased you found it worthwhile.  Not sure when the next one will be, I have sort of done my river trout fly boxes now but I am sure that I can put something together  :grin

I think we should get Peter & Kevin deer hair addiction Muir to do a night on patterns for loch fishing or maybe Hamish will do a night on dapping flies next time he is in the area.

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #27 on: 27/11/2009 at 21:05 »
It will be good try a sbs show you guys how not to tie a zoo cougar as last nights attempts didnt look like Bens thats for sure,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Is it the head you are struggling with?  Is the hardest part of the fly.  The hair needs to be packed really tight and use a lot of it, I did not use enough on the fly I tied and when looking at it again today the head could have been more solid.  The reason that I tie in bunches of hair around the hook rather than tying in a bunch and spinning around the hook is that I find I can get a more dense head using the bunches, same goes for the conehead Madonna and anything I tie with sculpin wool.  GSP really helps as you can hammer own on it.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #28 on: 28/11/2009 at 00:55 »
Many thanks to all who attended, pleased you found it worthwhile.  Not sure when the next one will be, I have sort of done my river trout fly boxes now but I am sure that I can put something together  :grin

I think we should get Peter & Kevin deer hair addiction Muir to do a night on patterns for loch fishing or maybe Hamish will do a night on dapping flies next time he is in the area.

Cheers

Ben

Any time Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #29 on: 28/11/2009 at 23:13 »
Ben what was the material you used for the head on the Butt Monkey? its escpaed my memory.

cheers

Matt

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com