Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Rob Brownfield

Re: My New Fly Rod
« Reply #15 on: 11/11/2009 at 08:29 »
Rubbing Alcahol from the chemists (where do you get it from?)

You answered your own question :)..It has to be ordered though. I got mine from Michies in Banchory, 3 day turn around.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 11/11/2009 at 08:34 »
I was wondering about that, but as I'd be making a two piece handle for a Spey rod,

Have you seen the "skeleton" reel seats made especially for Spey rods?

http://www.meadowfishery.com/prods/680.html

Rou can have a cork insert as in the picture or have a wood one turned to fit. The cork ones are extremely light and really look nice.

stickleback

« Reply #17 on: 11/11/2009 at 18:57 »
Insted I recessed the cork myself using an apple corer!  :shock

Excellent - it's amazing the 'tools' you find lying around your home that allow you to improvize  :z4 :z4

Re the "rubbing alcohol".  That's a term used mostly on the American websites / forums but as I found out when I went round local chemists, it's not a term used on this side of the pond.  I think most of the female members of staff thought I was a jakey perv massage artist until I explained what I wanted it for  ;D ;D.  What you have to ask for over here is isopropyl alcohol.  As Rob says, the chemist will probably have to order it in for you - I was lucky and got the dregs of a bottle for a couple of quid.  Alternatively it's readily available on Fleabay.  The bottled stuff is pretty potent and degreases / dries out your skin so if anyone is going to use it I'd recommend they wear gloves to protect themselves.  The wipes sound a great idea and would probably be a weaker less harmful strength.  I read somewhere that the bottled stuff is supposed to be good for treating midge bites.  By dabbing it on the bite it apparently "sucks out" all the moisture/bacteria and prevents the usual itch but I haven't yet tested it in this way. 

stickleback

« Reply #18 on: 11/11/2009 at 19:03 »
Have you seen the "skeleton" reel seats made especially for Spey rods?

http://www.meadowfishery.com/prods/680.html

Rou can have a cork insert as in the picture or have a wood one turned to fit. The cork ones are extremely light and really look nice.

Yes, I'd seen them but don't have a scooby how to fit them  :oops :oops  That's why I was thinking of turning an uplocking seat round - I'd sort of have a bit of a clue what I was doing !!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #19 on: 12/11/2009 at 00:17 »
Yes, I'd seen them but don't have a scooby how to fit them  :oops :oops  That's why I was thinking of turning an uplocking seat round - I'd sort of have a bit of a clue what I was doing !!

I like your style Cammy  :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #20 on: 12/11/2009 at 08:22 »

Its actually easy...I take the insert, and araldite the fittings to it (its obvious when you get the bits). From there you just fix it in the position/orientation you want, much like a normal reel seat...and glue. Sorted

But, you can also turn a normal seat around :) There are plenty on the market that do not have the recessed hood bit.  :z16

Bronzebommer

« Reply #21 on: 25/11/2009 at 20:33 »

I just tried steaming out the chuck marks on the butt cork with the kitchen kettle and it worked a treat! :z4 One to remember. :wink

Matt

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 25/11/2009 at 20:50 »
I just tried steaming out the chuck marks on the butt cork with the kitchen kettle and it worked a treat! :z4 One to remember. :wink

Matt
Excellent :z16

Speaking about kettles, mine's a coffee please :wink
Cheers
Mike

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #23 on: 26/11/2009 at 12:37 »

Matt

Glad it gave you the result you wanted.

Have you tried the rod in anger yet? Mine is stil sitting waiting to be built  :cry

Bronzebommer

« Reply #24 on: 26/11/2009 at 18:38 »
Just put the last coat on last night, hope to get it up to Mikes in the next few days. :z16 Cant wait. I just need to but my new black reel to match. Call me a tackle tart but going to all that bother to keep all things sliver off the rod I couldnt well salp a silver reel on it. :z7
Im going for the Vision Koma, should look the buisness. Now if I could only find my black ninja suit......

Matt

wullie42

« Reply #25 on: 06/12/2009 at 22:21 »
Hiya All

I will supply photos of my finished rod in the near future  :z16

Bronzebommer

« Reply #26 on: 07/12/2009 at 12:05 »

Have you tried the rod in anger yet? Mine is stil sitting waiting to be built  :cry

I had it up at Mikes about a week ago. I took my Hardy Demon out in the boat as well with the full intention of using it as well, I shouldn’t have bothered, I just used the new build all day, it cast really well with a double taper line on it. I’m really happy with it. :z16

stickleback

« Reply #27 on: 07/12/2009 at 19:32 »

I just used the new build all day.......... I’m really happy with it. :z16

Sounds like mission accomplished to me  :grin  And I bet you were grinning from ear to ear when you landed your first troot on it  :z16

Bronzebommer

« Reply #28 on: 07/12/2009 at 21:05 »
Were you there? :z4 Yeah it was gerat, on a parr with my first Don brownie. Cant wait to get back and catch some more.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 07/12/2009 at 21:27 »
There you go Matt .... I think this was the first one :wink

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com