Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Re: Whats on your vice this winter?
« Reply #75 on: 03/02/2010 at 21:25 »
I wouldnt dare look through yer window paul, god knows what i might see  :z4
The bottom flee is Mini Uv straggle with a badger hackle!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #76 on: 03/02/2010 at 22:20 »
Knocking out some spring flies so that I've got a few to give away to friends...

A nice wee monkey decided it looked really good with a red head on it tied on a 1" alumnium slipstream tube

A Snaelda, i got the tail proportions a wee bit wrong on this one, its a half inch tungsten tube with a bit of medium eumer tubing to extend it

An ice maiden tied on a 1" copper tube

An a posh tosh tied on a 1" aluminium tube with a large eumer tungsten cone on it

Time to tie some trout flies soon, honest...

Cheers

Matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #77 on: 03/02/2010 at 23:00 »
Mucking about with 19mm Eumer Gold teardrops and a (very loose) Cascade theme

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #78 on: 03/02/2010 at 23:17 »
Hi Matt,

Nice flies as always, the Snaelda interests me.....   Tie one on a 1.75" tube in baby pink, has accounted for two springers (including a 15lb fish) and a rake of kelts over the last two days, total fly length of about 3.5"

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #79 on: 04/02/2010 at 08:15 »
Hi Matt,

Nice flies as always, the Snaelda interests me.....   Tie one on a 1.75" tube in baby pink, has accounted for two springers (including a 15lb fish) and a rake of kelts over the last two days, total fly length of about 3.5"

Cheers

Ben

very interesting news there Ben.  Have you got any of those ready tied in the shop? I don't have any pink bucktail and I'll have to raid my granny's sewing box to find some pink wool!

Cheers

Matt

Hamish Young

« Reply #80 on: 04/02/2010 at 09:46 »
I saw the pink 'thing' in action on opening day on the Dee, very interesting indeed and when I'm next in front of the vice I'll be tying a couple up.
As I commented at the time, white and pink Kynoch Killers were once very popular on the Tay in early season in clear and slightly coloured water conditions. I used them a lot when trolling for salmon (and big troots)on Lochs Tay and Shiel so there's no reason that I can see that those combinations wouldn't work very well on a tube fly - clearly, in pink alone, it works well so I have to tie a few in fluro pink and white to see what happens...... chuck a turbo disc on the front and you've got pretty much a spinning lure anyway  :z7
Might also be worth re-visiting the contents of my trolling/spinning lure box to see othe colour combinations that have worked well and incorporate them into a fly or two. Just for the hell of it, you understand.

I'll get my coat  :wink

Hamish  :z3

Matt Henderson

« Reply #81 on: 04/02/2010 at 10:57 »
the Snaelda is very similar to a red francis in style.  Just with the hackle moved up to the head of the tube.  Stands to reason given that shrimpy things in the sea are pink or orange that this attracts them.  Much the same way as a sunray shadow imitates a sand eel. 

Barry Robertson

« Reply #82 on: 04/02/2010 at 21:32 »
Chartreuse j/c buzzer

Iain Goolager

« Reply #83 on: 05/02/2010 at 00:01 »

Matt Henderson

« Reply #84 on: 05/02/2010 at 07:31 »
nice flies lads but they appear to be going in the wrong direction?

Paul Rankine

« Reply #85 on: 05/02/2010 at 14:46 »
Hi All,
          Nice flies All.

Iain that's a good wee variation , dressing a wee tail on the double. Also means you can mix and match colour combos too.

Baz,
         "I wouldnt dare look through yer window paul, god knows what i might see " . True ,  true ..........

Paul.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #86 on: 05/02/2010 at 15:05 »
Hi Matt,

Cheers

Ben

a bit like one of these perhaps?

I couldn't find any pink bucktail despite visiting Orvis and Somers.  The best I could get was some very nice pink crystal flash at orvis and flouresecent pink bucktail in somers.  Just need to use a slightly smaller tube and a neaten up the head.  Oh and steal some of the OH's pink nail polish! One aside is that the krystal flash in orvis is really nice compared to the veniards stuff. 

cheers 

Matt

Irvine Ross

« Reply #87 on: 05/02/2010 at 17:41 »
I don't have any pink except some Ice Dub shrimp pink dubbing so I used that over floss to make the body. I used white over red  arctic fox for the tail and white over red for the hackle.

Will it work?

I'll have to ask a passing fish.

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #88 on: 05/02/2010 at 17:46 »
I don't have any pink except some Ice Dub shrimp pink dubbing so I used that over floss to make the body. I used white over red  arctic fox for the tail and white over red for the hackle.

Nice work Hare's lug.

The original dressing of a Snealda is bucktail rather than artic fox but I can't see it making that much difference.  Also the example that I saw in the orvis shop today was pink over red so I'm sure that the white over red will be similar.  They had done the same with the body it looked like pink dubbing over red floss. 

I bought some pink chenille rather than pink dubbing.  I should have got pink dubbing really.  Oh well next time.

cheers

matt

Barry Robertson

« Reply #89 on: 05/02/2010 at 18:31 »
Where all the troot flies  :z8  :wink
Nice flies chaps Iam sure the tourists will love em  :z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com