Busy stocking up on the 3 tone Montrose Dry flees  :wink
Messy work, my carpets covered in deer hair  :shock

Tightlines,
Baz :z18

Iain Goolager

Re: Whats on your vice this winter?
« Reply #46 on: 09/01/2010 at 20:42 »
Hey Bazmeister,

I appreciate the tying involved and that they do catch fish but I'd need a glass or two of Port before I plucked up the courage to throw one of them.................having said that I'm keen to try a few new concepts this season (like barbless Salmon flies) so perhaps you can take me to one of your reservoirs this year and we'll fish flies of that type.  :z6 :roll

Iain

p.s. get the hoovering done - or you'll be dyson with death  :z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #47 on: 09/01/2010 at 20:51 »
Seriously speaking Iain, i would of been lost without that flee last season!
Fished on a midge tip it held my nymphs/cormorants up perfectly and pulled past rising stockies at speed proved a real winner!
Also fished well on an intermediate as a top dropper with 2 cormorants chasing behind it!
Everyone to there own but most waters are filled with stocked rainbows true, stocked rainbows like blobs! :z13
Deer hair blobs just fish that bit differant but in a good way, i see lots of companys like fulling mill and caledonian flies are already starting to sell them in shops  :wink
We will get a good day out this year as both times we went out the conditions were against us  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #48 on: 09/01/2010 at 20:55 »
Hi Paul,
No it's not Aero Wing or Niche polyprop yarn (both excellent materials & I use them both a lot). As for the TPI, don't think so but I'll find out.

As for the lack of hackle, it's purely a simplicity decision plus the fact that they don't need it for floatability or stability and the fish don't seem to mind it being legless.

I was toying with adding a turn or two of hackle and snipping flush undeneath but maybe I'm just tinkering to beat the ice blues.

:z16 Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #49 on: 09/01/2010 at 20:58 »
Do any of you lads use FABSIL on any of your dries or flies you wish to float??

Iain Goolager

« Reply #50 on: 09/01/2010 at 21:01 »
Baz,

There is no desputing their effectiveness and popularity It makes obvious sense for companies to stock them and all their variants  'cos it's money in the till.

Guess I'll have to buy some Airflo DI lines  :z6

:z16  Iain

Kevin Muir

« Reply #51 on: 09/01/2010 at 22:51 »
Hi Iain / Paul,

The material Iain used for the wing of his flies is very similar to a product that Davy Wotton introduced at one of the "Partridge Tying Days" many years ago.  He had a ball of synthetic yarn and cut a small section off and tied a fly he called a "Dun Wing Dun".  The fly did not have a hackle and he said the fly fished much better by not having a hackle.  Several of us who attended the demo day got a sample of this yarn from Davy to take home and tie a few flies with.  I liked the flies and I bought more yarn from him when he started to sell it in his shop.  I will dig out a packed and post a photo of it.

The big thing that Davy was stressing with this fly was the fact that the fly floated in the film rather than on it, the fly is only suitable for the smoother glides and calmer streams, it will get swamped in the very rough water.  The thing that impressed me about this fly was how easy it was to loose your fly in a hatch, (therefore very similar to the natural), providing you don't take your eye off the fly when you cast above a fish it is ok.

The fly is a very quick tie and if you loose a dozen when fishing on branches etc, it is no big deal to fill the spaces in your box, all in all a great no nonsense fly.

Since Davy sold up and moved to the USA, I have not seen Dun Wing Yarn for sale in the UK, you can use Poly Yarn, the TMC Aero Yarn would be great and the new Trigger Point fibres also work well.  I hate the hanks Trigger Point fibres come in but that is just me. Not user friendly in my opinion.

If Iain can't get his camera sorted, I could post a rough step by step, though I would rather defer to Iain if he can get his camera sorted.

I tend to use grey squirrel body fur dubbing for the thorax and pick it out well, it is a 3 or 4 minute fly at most and can be tied in the smallest sizes very easily.

Just a great pattern.

I will find out if it is possible to post the original article that Davy had published in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying here as it gives a good background to the fly.

Kev.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #52 on: 10/01/2010 at 15:21 »
Good photo baz :z16

I've just sent off another wee shoal of fish to the Czech republic for another Flyswap :shock.
The vice is good tonic in the jungle

Sandy

Barry Robertson

« Reply #53 on: 10/01/2010 at 16:42 »
Good photo baz :z16

I've just sent off another wee shoal of fish to the Czech republic for another Flyswap :shock.
The vice is good tonic in the jungle

Sandy

How long did they take to tie  :shock
Nice looking flies anyway  :z18
 :z16

Paul Rankine

« Reply #54 on: 10/01/2010 at 17:13 »
Hi Kevin,
              Thanks for that .

I tend to use the Aero Wing but is it a bit dear . How do you find the TPI for floatability ? I have,nt tried that yet.
Also, since your'e on (!) have you discovered a cheaper (been in Aberdeen too long) sub for Watershed ?

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Bit of a wee thaw in Ellon today . Roll on the Spring !!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #55 on: 10/01/2010 at 17:18 »
Skip water shed Paul, FABSIL is awesome!
Spray your material with fabsil and it will float forever  :wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #56 on: 10/01/2010 at 17:19 »
Hi Kevin,
              Thanks for that .

I tend to use the Aero Wing but is it a bit dear . How do you find the TPI for floatability ? I have,nt tried that yet.
Also, since your'e on (!) have you discovered a cheaper (been in Aberdeen too long) sub for Watershed ?

Cheers,

Paul.

PS: Bit of a wee thaw in Ellon today . Roll on the Spring !!
Still not found anything better than Aero dry wing.  Floats so well that with small patterns it is enough to float a fly on it's own and I like the range of colours but is is rather dear.

Not thawing here Paul, not got above -3 all day, -9 at 09:30.

Ben

Paul Rankine

« Reply #57 on: 10/01/2010 at 18:39 »
HI Baz,
             Fabsil , where do you get it ?
HI Ben,
             Agree re Aero Wing , it's amazing . Temp. here been plummeting since last observation . I now have very large ice formations on my guttering and it's bl---y  Baltic outside. It's a bit of a baptism for your first winter here  eh ? Are you going down to the Tweed bash in March ?

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #58 on: 10/01/2010 at 18:47 »
 A company called grangers Make it and i got it in a huge spray tin from an outdoor shop in forfar

Here are a couple of links
Not tried this one but looks the bizz  :wink
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Granger's-Fabsil-Universal-Silicone-Waterproofer-125ml_W0QQitemZ130325210165QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=1b3d91af11d0a0aad321bb41ffa32dd6

This is the tin i use and i spray it on completed flies or tying materials prior to tying!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Granger's-Fabsil-Universal-Silicone-Waterproofer-400ml_W0QQitemZ200413636356QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=1b3d91af11d0a0aad321bb41ffa32dd6

Best stuff i have ever used, i use this on my klinks alot.

Peter McCallum

« Reply #59 on: 10/01/2010 at 19:23 »
Hey it was +6 in montrose today....... where's my sunscreen?? :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com