« Reply #30 on: 27/11/2009 at 20:50 »
Mike,

SBS of Nymph coming soon

Iain

Jim Eddie

Re: Whats on your vice this winter?
« Reply #31 on: 27/11/2009 at 20:53 »
Just trying out how to post a picture Mike.... :z18

Nice fly David , youve cracked it how to post them now  :z16 Mind and get one of those waterproof pouches for the camera this time  :z4

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

« Reply #32 on: 01/12/2009 at 22:22 »
Laugh away  :z4

I give you the flexi cat, lots of movement and a good flee in the winter  :wink

Tighlines
Baz.

clark

« Reply #33 on: 03/12/2009 at 16:29 »
Do these actually catch fish BT ? I've seen them before but thought it was a case of the fly catching the angler  :z4 how would you go about fishing it ???

clark

Barry Robertson

« Reply #34 on: 03/12/2009 at 18:32 »
I wouldnt be tying them if they did not catch, best cats whisker i have in my box  :wink
Intermediate point fly and a blob on the top dropper and pull :wink

Matt Henderson

« Reply #35 on: 03/12/2009 at 20:02 »
A czech nymph that I took a step by step of for the competition will work that out later on

And then a few comets which are tied on a plastic eumer tubing, I might tie some on a metal tube for the spring.

cheers

matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #36 on: 24/12/2009 at 09:37 »
I've been tying flies for a Flyswap with some of the Ozzies on a Satwater fly forum out here :z16
The first attempts were a bit questionable, but with the aid of photos and the internet, i was able to get a great flytying lesson online
and have managed to crack the style.

The fly is called openshaws ghost and the idea is it has no sparkle to it except for the red throat (hotspot :wink) and in the water it looks almost transparent much like the bait fish it is meant to be.
Tying transparent actually takes a lot of practice, the idea is to tie very sparse but still retain some shape.
The body is tied Hi-Style like a polar minnow, but using Slinky fiber. This version is tan over white, the original is grey over white , but i dont have grey :roll.

The other trick is the eyes and epoxy :z6 took some practice too, they kept coming out with big fat heads :roll however i found that if you put the epoxy on the back of the eyes and some on the wraps and then mount the eyes and push them together so a tiny amount of epoxy comes out around the eye then it looks very neat and is light and nicely proportioned :z18

Not sure if the fly would be any use anywhere but in clear saltwater, but if you go on holiday then it is apparently a very effective pattern on the flats :z16

Sandy

Its a 3/0 hook by the way :z6

Iain Goolager

« Reply #37 on: 24/12/2009 at 19:49 »
Nice fly Sandy,

I can just imagine how good it looks good being pulled through crystal clear shallow water  :z16

Have a good one.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #38 on: 07/01/2010 at 00:00 »
Thoughts of Hatches in April.....................

These were for my January SBS but my camera has just been float tested in the lavatory!

Panasonic here we come.

Iain

Mike Barrio

« Reply #39 on: 07/01/2010 at 00:18 »

These were for my January SBS but my camera has just been float tested in the lavatory!

Hi Iain ........ did it pass the test? What were you doing with it there anyway? :z4

Nice flies :z15 and it feels good to be thinking of April :cool:

Cheers
Mike

Iain Goolager

« Reply #40 on: 07/01/2010 at 10:21 »
Hi Iain ........ did it pass the test?

No Mike,
no toilet was frozen  :z4

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #41 on: 08/01/2010 at 21:27 »
Some MB dries

now for some Waterhen Bloa & MB spiders

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #42 on: 08/01/2010 at 21:41 »
Hi Iain,
                       What are the wings in the MB,s ? CDC ?

In the Olives I like to splay the wing down with my finger nail to spread them  before finally tying off and super gelling . Hey, that's just me though.

Nice quill bodies.

Paul.

Iain Goolager

« Reply #43 on: 08/01/2010 at 22:25 »
Paul I can't remember the name of the stuff but it's synthetic not CDC, Davy Wotton something or other, perhaps Kev Muir would like to comment (indestructable & high floating).

Maybe not the best angle to see how the wing looks in a real situation but it's a fair trout pleaser

The wing shape can indeed be altered at the tying in stage & a forward facing wing can also look nice (and be effective).

Iain

Paul Rankine

« Reply #44 on: 09/01/2010 at 19:36 »
Hi Iain,
             Is it Niche polypropylene yarn or maybe Tiemco Aero Drywing ? The latter stuff is the berries for floatibility if a mite expensive. http://www.flytyingboutique.com/store/Details.asp?ProdID=71&category=5

Or this stuff  from the same website . Looks good stuff
Trigger Point International Fibres

This from their ad .

The Trigger Point International range of winging products has been specifically designed by Enrico Puglisi of the USA and renowned Australian fly tier Mick Hall to compliment the natural wing colours found in the insect world.

Their objective was to be able to get as close to nature as possible, and they believe that they have achieved that goal.

- There are 16 specifically selected TPI colours, some are unique blends and others are solid colours.

- With the TPI range you can select or create your own blends. In fact you can match just about any wing colouration found in the insect world, Mayflies, Stoneflies, Caddis, it is endless.

- A key feature of most of the TPI colours and another first is that they have a subtle amount of black fibres threaded throughout the blend to specifically represent the wing venation.

- The TPI fibres are unique in that they are non-matting and so fine and delicate that they allow you to use them on just about any size hook.

- The total TPI range is marking pen friendly; you can simply add a fore-edge to your wings or create your own wing pattern.

- Another unique feature of the TPI range is that it has been pre-treated with “Water Shed” floatant. There is now no need to fish with wings all messed up with floatant.

For the full "Trigger Point International" story and more information, take a look at Mick Hall's web site:

www.kossiedun.com.au

I notice (now) also that you don't bother with a parachute hackle .
Is that to get the fly sitting right in the surface film as in the photo ?

Paul.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com