Re: Whats on your vice this winter?
« Reply #15 on: 06/11/2009 at 23:15 »
A little bit of this and that

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #16 on: 07/11/2009 at 21:57 »
another few knocked out. 

First is a pot belly pig tied on a 17mm eumer crayfish tube with a silver medium cone.  I also used a mini marabou hackle at the tail which looks like it will swim very nicely. 

Second a Kylie shrimp - tieing these for a friend. 

An emerald stoat conehead varient, in green and black especially for Goolager this one...

I've also tied a few shuttlecocks but haven't got photos of them. 

Right time for a beer I think..

Jay Scott

« Reply #17 on: 07/11/2009 at 22:10 »

They look good mdh!  :z16

Notice you used marabou on the first fly... haven't seen a lot of salmon flies tied with that.. does it work well?

Jay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #18 on: 07/11/2009 at 22:10 »
Nice ones Matt :z16

Iain

Ben Dixon

« Reply #19 on: 07/11/2009 at 22:46 »
Very nice Matt, I'd fish with them  :grin

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #20 on: 07/11/2009 at 23:08 »
They look good mdh!  :z16

Notice you used marabou on the first fly... haven't seen a lot of salmon flies tied with that.. does it work well?

Jay

Jay,

I watched the Frodin "make em swim" dvd last night, and he uses lots of marabou and ostrich herl behind the turbocones.  It's very easy to tie in just like a normal hackle and even easier to double. 

To the critics is the pot bellied pig long enough or would you have tied the tail longer to put it further past the hook?

cheers

Matt

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #21 on: 08/11/2009 at 06:54 »
I've been tying up a few fish and shrimp patterns too :grin

Still trying to master the epoxy :z6 have some ideas for some squid up my sleeve, will be tying them on these cold
winter days :z10

Not quite spiders, but i'm sure i can come up with some of them too :wink

This is EP fibres/Dna

Same again but slightly smaller.

A glass shrimp, still needs some work , maybe some more legs, but i think minimalist is good.

This is made of DnA and angel hair, despite its size it casts really well on my light weight rig (7wt :shock)

Still trying to simplify but they do catch fish, thinking of which i still have to get a waterproof camera and get some fishy shots.
So far i have yet to catch anything worth photographing, but i'm on the hunt for some barramundi :z12

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #22 on: 08/11/2009 at 10:07 »
Like the Glass Shrimp Sandy :z16

Looking forward to those photo's

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #23 on: 08/11/2009 at 12:49 »
Sandy,

Those are amazing.  Any chance of a wee step by step on how to tie flies like that?

cheers

Matt

stickleback

« Reply #24 on: 08/11/2009 at 20:49 »
Nice - I like that glass shimp too - how do you make the body ?  Also, is that a weed guard you've tied in made from mono ?  It must have been hard going getting it to sit completely in line with the barb.   

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #25 on: 09/11/2009 at 01:51 »
Hmmmm.

Step by steps, i'll see what i can do. The glass shrimp is copied from a pattern i picked up in the US.
The weed guard is Mono and it takes a bit of practice to get it to sit in the right place, will try to work out how to describe it.
The body is Pearl mylar tied tight to the hook with a built body of Z-poxy. It looks pretty cool but is tricky to keep the right shape.

Will have a go at trying a SBS for it

Must confess to enjoying learning how to make these kinds of flies, just wish the water here was a bit clearer, it would make flyfishing far better.
In the meantime im planning for OZ. there are some nice flats out there.

Playing with poppers too :shock will post one or two when im happy with them. (they are for the big gun :z6)

:z18

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #26 on: 12/11/2009 at 21:57 »
A little bit of Orange & Black today

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #27 on: 27/11/2009 at 15:26 »
a selection of kylies.  Kylies in a turbo conhead templedog style, kylies on a 1" brass tube, kylie shrimps on a size 12 double and klies on size 16 doubles.

thats my first commision out the door, got another lot to work on and still haven't made a start on filling my own fly box for next year...

cheers

matt

David

« Reply #28 on: 27/11/2009 at 19:16 »
Just trying out how to post a picture Mike.... :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #29 on: 27/11/2009 at 19:37 »
Nice fly to try it out with David :z16

Cheers
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com