Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

Re: Whats on your vice this winter?
« Reply #105 on: 19/02/2010 at 09:38 »
silver stoat variants.  I prefer gold ribbing with a silver body i'm not really sure why but I like the colour contrast.  And a wee bit of blue schlappen for the throat oh and artic fox rather than stoats tail for the wing. 

off to start my step by step shortly..

cheers

matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #106 on: 19/02/2010 at 22:27 »
Nice Matheus :z16

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #107 on: 19/02/2010 at 22:31 »
I like them Matt :z16

have you ever tried putting one full turn of the schlappen feather on the collar before the wing.
It gives you a full hackle which looks a bit like a spey style fly and then with the wing over the top, the hackle kicks the wing up in the hair so the fly moves more in the water (great for faster water). Give it a try if you haven't, but dont use any more than one full turn of the hackle. See if you like it :z18

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #108 on: 20/02/2010 at 16:02 »
Sandy

Is this the kind of thing you mean? This one is not schlappen just the big end of a Chinese cock cape. I used a turn of grizzle over two turns of black, I think.

Irvine

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #109 on: 20/02/2010 at 16:14 »
Now that's my kind of salmon fly :z16

love it

sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #110 on: 20/02/2010 at 16:38 »
Sandy

I've been tempted to tie a few without the wing, just a big spider, but I haven't had the courage to part with convention yet. Anybody out there tried it?

Irvine

Barry Robertson

« Reply #111 on: 20/02/2010 at 17:04 »
Cracking fleee Irvine  :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #112 on: 20/02/2010 at 18:06 »
I like them Matt :z16

have you ever tried putting one full turn of the schlappen feather on the collar before the wing.
It gives you a full hackle which looks a bit like a spey style fly and then with the wing over the top, the hackle kicks the wing up in the hair so the fly moves more in the water (great for faster water). Give it a try if you haven't, but dont use any more than one full turn of the hackle. See if you like it :z18

Sandy

Sandy,

I did some earlier on and the schlappen is too soft and doesn't stand up enough.  I reckon a normal hen or cock hackle would do the job nicely.  I'll post a few pictures later on.

Irvine I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Matt

Matt Henderson

« Reply #113 on: 20/02/2010 at 21:49 »
Okay so its not the same fly but very similar its an emerald stoat this time

With a turn of schlappen

With a turn of cock hackle

And a few other flies chosen at random from my big book of Salmon flies

A leslie Peters

A Goldie/Gold Kenny's Killer

and a Red Pearl Ally's Shrimp

cheers

Matt  :z16 :z15

Barry Robertson

« Reply #114 on: 21/02/2010 at 00:20 »
Nice flees Matt, photos are great also  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #115 on: 21/02/2010 at 01:35 »

Please don't tell me the hackle is too long, it's 01:34
 :z10

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #116 on: 21/02/2010 at 02:04 »
Really love the flies Matt

Especially the Kennys killer one, it looks awesome.
I like way the schlappen sits nice and soft, if you tie a couple of turns of thread behind the hackle when you tie it down, like i do with spiders, it will kick up and then do the same with the fox hair and it kicks up too, and you get an effect similar to Kenny's you have there, but with the longer hackle.

Please don't tell me the hackle is too long, it's 01:34
 :z10

Iain

Iain - your hook is too small :wink
You have the right idea though, the hackle is sitting beautifully :z16 This fly will catch fish, especially when there are B.W.O's on the go.
Might even be a bit to sparse with the mole, if that is possible :shock Far better than being to heavy though :z18

Love it :z3

Sandy

Iain Goolager

« Reply #117 on: 25/02/2010 at 10:18 »
Lots of Spiders.

Scared to post photo's as they just seem to be a source of ridicule (you know who you are Superman) and my Mum says to steer clear bullys.

Nah, the battery on my camera has now departed - see what I can do with the other really crud camera.

Iain

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #118 on: 25/02/2010 at 10:33 »
Wuss!
 :z4 :z4 :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #119 on: 25/02/2010 at 11:41 »
Sandy

I've been tempted to tie a few without the wing, just a big spider, but I haven't had the courage to part with convention yet. Anybody out there tried it?

Irvine

I haven't Irvine but I know a man who has.  Will who sometimes posts here fishes an endrick spider as a searching pattern for trout and hooks a lot of salmon on that.  Really irritating, he ties them with lots of Cu wire under the body for weight so they look like a nice spider that has eaten one to many McDonalds, ugly chunky fly but they work!!

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com