Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jay Scott

Whats on your vice this winter?
« on: 04/11/2009 at 21:46 »

Hi Guys,..

Well with the river season now drawn to an end im sure  a few of you will be spending a lot more time at the tying bench especially with the early nights rolling in and the recent weather we've been having  :shock. Just wondering what everyone is tying? a couple variants of your most productive salmon fly for the season?.... a couple bright lures for the forthcoming cold weather?.. and i'm sure a few of you will be stocking up for some winter Pike trips  :z7.

I usually try to set a goal for my winter months... nothing too hard, i dont want it to effect my enjoyment but usually just a wee guide instead of variety of random choices which often result in my vice area looking like a bomb site  :z4, Going to try build up a larger armoury of more natural patterns this winter and hopefully improve on my technique.. i say hopefully with great enthusiasm  :wink.

So anyway would be nice to hear what everyone else is tying up and hear if anyone else has goals they wish to acheive this winter.. Hopefully we might get a good selection of photos too, would nice to see a large variety!

:z16

Jay

Peter McCallum

Re: Whats on your vice this winter?
« Reply #1 on: 04/11/2009 at 22:01 »
Depends if FF&FT bring back the tying league. If not I'll fill my boxes with too many flies if they do I'll not get my boxes even to fishing level!! :z4 :z4

Hogs, Hares ears, Sculpins, zonkers, Dun wing duns are some of the necessary medicine.

Jay Scott

« Reply #2 on: 04/11/2009 at 22:09 »

I saw on the Fly Forums that they will be bringing it out start of 2010... should be details in next months issue.

Jay

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 04/11/2009 at 22:58 »
I have a list as long as my arm to tie up for next season, here are just a few of the things i will be tying:

Traffic light buzzers
Traffic light cormorants
Diawl Bachs
Traffic light Diawl bachs
2 tone blobs
Deer hair blobs
Bibio snatchers
Bibio Hoppers
Bibio Hooper Boobys
The list is endless  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #4 on: 04/11/2009 at 23:19 »
Woolly Buugers in Black, & Brown
Madonnas in Black, Yellow & Brown
Butt Monkeys
Klinks in various sizes in Tan, grey, black, brown & various olive shades
Paraduns as above
GH GRHE's
black bead biot nymphs
Poly winged spinners in various shades
and spiders, lots and lots of spiders!!

Salmon stuff will be Golden Gunn tubes, gold cascades on tubes & doubles, Allys Shrimps, Stoat & Silver Stoat variants.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #5 on: 05/11/2009 at 13:39 »
Any more nights like last year Ben? they were very useful.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #6 on: 05/11/2009 at 20:25 »
Currently restocking on elk hair caddis and DHEs then on to half hogs, buzzers, damsels and anything else needed to fill the holes in my boxes.

Ben

Madonnas, Butt Monkeys  ?????? :z8

I'm falling behind the times. Any pictures to give us a clue?

Irvine

Matt Henderson

« Reply #7 on: 05/11/2009 at 21:47 »
still salmon flies at the moment.  I'm currently tieing a selection of Kylie patterns for a friend, medium doubles, small doubles, plastic tubes in a templedog style and conehead varients.  Then I'm going to start on some dry flies.  My plan is to try and avoid buying any flies every because once I buy flies I favour the bought flies over my own ones. 

I'll post some photos once I get going. 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #8 on: 05/11/2009 at 21:58 »
Currently restocking on elk hair caddis and DHEs then on to half hogs, buzzers, damsels and anything else needed to fill the holes in my boxes.

Ben

Madonnas, Butt Monkeys  ?????? :z8

I'm falling behind the times. Any pictures to give us a clue?

Irvine

Think big, hairy and dead rabbit Irvine  :z4

Cheers

Ben

Ben Dixon

« Reply #9 on: 05/11/2009 at 22:00 »
Any more nights like last year Ben? they were very useful.

Hi Peter, Yes there will be, thinking about doing the streamer stuff someyime towards the end of November, when I get a date set I will post something.  Hoping to cover not just the flies but how & where to fish them.

Cheers

Ben

Jay Scott

« Reply #10 on: 05/11/2009 at 22:05 »
Hi Peter, Yes there will be, thinking about doing the streamer stuff someyime towards the end of November, when I get a date set I will post something.  Hoping to cover not just the flies but how & where to fish them.

Cheers

Ben

That sounds superb Ben was thinking about trying streamers on the river  :z16

Jay

Peter McCallum

« Reply #11 on: 06/11/2009 at 01:22 »
Book me a place

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 06/11/2009 at 21:50 »
me....

Slight incident this evening, I must remember to put the spare hook on the double at the back rather than at the front.  A few minutes with some pliers and gritting my teeth sorted it out. 

Still managed to get two kylies done on low water doubles and one larger kylie shrimp....

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 06/11/2009 at 21:51 »
Ouch  :shock

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 06/11/2009 at 22:55 »

Hey Matt

AH! I see, the hook was in the vise when it happened.

Silly Billy!

A few Lambruscos' should ease the pain  :z4

Iain

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com