Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

tight lines today
« on: 31/10/2009 at 10:42 »
morning all,

Lovely sunny morning here today, so I hope a few of you were out on the river and not biding at home watching Matt Hayes' Total Fishing and dreaming...

Been frustrating, not being able to get out fishing the last two months or so of the river season; I think my last outing was mid-august... :-(

However, thanks to everyone's reports I've been able to enjoy some fishing action by proxy. Keep them coming. The report from Stockholm today was great!

And wasn't a bad old year, fishing wise - thinking of some of the other posts on this forum recently, I've fished in a few different styles/locations this year, and caught rainbows, blues, browns, sea trout, finnock, smolts, perch, pike, tench, carp, roach, rudd, pollack, mackerel, bass and, most bizarrely, a couple of foul-hooked sprats while fly fishing an estuary. 

Salmon is the notable absence from the list, the end of the season just passed me by, but maybe time to hunt a grayling before the year's out.

cheers
iain
ps, my ska band, aka-SKA are playing the Lemon Tree tonight for our 4th annual Skalloween, support from Pama International. Facny dress optional, come wearing your waders and I'll personally refund you the cost of the ticket! :-)

Iain Goolager

Re: tight lines today
« Reply #1 on: 31/10/2009 at 14:26 »
That's still an impressive list of species for one so handicapped Iain  :z16

I went down to the Don @ Kintore with the loon for a wander, seen one guy lose a nice silver fish and spoke to some other guys that had lost fish at the bank, all in all it looks like there will be a fair few fish caught today - pity I've used up my all of my 'Bad Dad' tokens.

Sorry I will not be attending your Ska evening Iain, please don't consider it Bad Manners :z6

Iain

Rob Brownfield

Re: tight lines today New
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/2009 at 20:03 »
most bizarrely, a couple of foul-hooked sprats while fly fishing an estuary.

Are you sure on the identification Iain? I am wondering if you have not in fact hooked something a bit special...an Allis or Twaite Shad?? I know they have been caught at Granholm.

This is an Allis...if it was one of these..you are a very lucky man as they are pretty rare.

and a Twaite shad..even rarer in UK waters...

Jammy sod ;)

Iain Cameron

Re: tight lines today
« Reply #3 on: 05/11/2009 at 11:01 »
Are you sure on the identification Iain? I am wondering if you have not in fact hooked something a bit special...an Allis or Twaite Shad?? I know they have been caught at Granholm.

Jammy sod ;)

Had a wee google this morning- haven't really found anything definitive. I don't have a photographic memory, so all I really know was there were shoals of them, very distinct bright blue/silver flanks (think of the Abu Toby in blue/silver) and as I caught a couple, they were all around the 7-10cm range (2.5-4"). Most likely wee herrings or sprats. Definitely not conger eel though, even I could tell that one apart.

Should have said that all the fishing I did this year was within a couple of hours drive of Aberdeen, we do have lots of variety.

As as for "Jammy sod" - to paraphrase some golfer or other, the more lines I chuck, the more jammy I become....

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com