Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Irvine Ross

Re: Grayling
« Reply #60 on: 30/10/2009 at 10:10 »
Adapt to what the area gives and just go out and enjoy your fishing.

I'll second that.

I'm beginning to wonder if "cerbfan" isn't our old friend "Dwight David" back again in new guise. He certain seems determined to push all the contentious buttons and hijack this thread.

Irvine

Jim Doyle

« Reply #61 on: 30/10/2009 at 10:12 »
So anyone coming grayling fishing???? :z13 :z13 :z13

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #62 on: 30/10/2009 at 10:49 »
I really struggle with the attitudes of some anglers up here. There seems to be some kind of "fear" about coarse fish and coarse anglers, some of it is undoubted snobbery, and that cannot be denied, some of it is misguided beliefs, much of it just heresay. (Pike for example)

I most certainly do not want to see the Don or Dee stocked with coarse fish as I understand that both rivers have a very important place in game angling history. With scientists telling us the weather patterns are changing, how viable will these rivers be in 10/20/30 years time? I fully support the conservation of Salmon however I sometimes wonder if man is playing a game it cannot win.

Pauls comment:-

"It depends whether we want to keep our trout and salmon fisheries as trout and salmon fisheries or let them deteriorate into mixed salmonid/coarse fisheries . "

Well, this is exactly what I am talking about in my first paragraph. How can you say the river has "deteriorated" in to a coarse fishery? You are saying coarse fish are inferior and so are the anglers. The economy certainly does not agree with you. EFTTA has consistantly said over the last 5 years or so that coarse fishing brings 4-6 times the amount of money into the economy than game angling does.

I have fished the Test, the Wye, the Frome, and even the Tay..all fantastic game and coarse rivers. I most certainly do not think these rivers have deteriated, quite the opposite infact. (was the Tay not the venue for the World championships ?) Some may argue that since coarse anglers have been let onto these rivers the game angling has improved due to more food going in (maggots etc), and less pressure on the game fish as game anglers try there hand for other species. There is also the cross learning that goes on. Coarse anglers have always returned there fish, and many game anglers have learnt correct fish handling and catch and release from coarse anglers/coarse angling programs on tv etc. Lastly on this point, there is an unfounded fear that coarse anglers will take trout and salmon for the pot. Go down to Loch Awe in the summer and see how many trout anglers are using bubble floats and maggots and taking acrrier bags full of trout away with them. The coarse anglers are not wanting the trout.

As for a coarse fishery up here, why not? I consistantly bump into game anglers who fancy trying for something different. I work with guys from england that switched to game angling when moving to scotland, but would love to sit and watch a float for a few hours (as did I). There is a very large population of anglers up here that come from a coarse background or who watch the likes of Matt Hayes, John Bailey or even John Wilson on TV and who would like to fish for something different every now and then.

Actually..i have just re read all of that..and I cannot believe in this day and age that this conversation is even taking place.  :z8 ???

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #63 on: 30/10/2009 at 10:52 »
So anyone coming grayling fishing???? :z13 :z13 :z13

YES!!  :z18

Noel Kelly

« Reply #64 on: 30/10/2009 at 17:07 »

Actually..i have just re read all of that..and I cannot believe in this day and age that this conversation is even taking place.  :z8 ???

I agree, and even worse taking place again.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #65 on: 30/10/2009 at 18:12 »
My first grayling day on the earn this year is the 15th nov. Its a social day that allows folk to have a go with out being under pressure. The cost is £6 this includes breakfast ,lunch and afternoon snacks. Its a good day I thinl ian can confirm this.  If any one wants more details drop me a pm .  jim

I will be joining you this year jim, anyone else intrested?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #66 on: 30/10/2009 at 18:23 »
I'd Like to but its a bit of a trek from the Blue Toon  :roll

Paul Rankine

« Reply #67 on: 30/10/2009 at 18:27 »
HI,
       Rob , I,ve stated my thoughts  and most folks on this Forum know exactly , by now, where you are coming from on the subject. No further comment as it will undoubtedly be a waste of my time.

Jim,
      Could you put me down as well for the 15th November please . Thanks.

Jedi Jim , If you can get to Ellon I'll take you down and back . I think it must be my turn !

Peter,
         Sorry if I caused you any offence . None intended mate.

Ben,
       Well put.

Paul.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #68 on: 30/10/2009 at 19:29 »
Look forward to seeing you both on the 15th Paul and Jim  :wink

Jim Eddie

« Reply #69 on: 31/10/2009 at 21:39 »
OK sounds like a plan , see you then Bazil  :z16

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com