Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Conehead

Grayling
« on: 20/10/2009 at 20:29 »
Hi All

Have never been grayling fishing and hope to rectify this soon. Hoping that someone out there can give me some pointers, with regards to places to go and best times to go etc. Usually only fish rivers for salmon, so a lot to learn.

Thanks in anticipation
 :z18
Geoff

Jim Eddie

Re: Grayling
« Reply #1 on: 20/10/2009 at 20:46 »
Geoff

Nothing really local , closest would be the Dean at Forfar, used to get a season ticket at the Spar shop in Meigle, It used to be £10 a season , best spot was the confluence with the Isla.
http://www.fishing-uk-scotland.com/htm/tayside1.htm#meiglink

The Isla at Cupar Angus is also worth a chuck , not sure about where to get tickets , used to be the barber shop in the square.

Paul and I had a go onthe Earn  last year with no sucess, its just south of Perth , It was a cracking bit of water, its on the Dupplin Estate http://www.fishingnet.com/beats/earn/Dupplin_Estate.htm

Jim

Jim       

Ben Dixon

« Reply #2 on: 20/10/2009 at 21:32 »
IMO, the best grayling fishing is on the border rivers.  Annan, Tweed, Teviot, Clyde and the Eden in Cumbria are all excellent.  Intended to get to the Dean last winter but never got round to it, is the one thing I miss since moving up here, no grayling.

Geoff, grayling are truly fantastic fish and they fight extremely well.  Best time to fish for them is when the water has cooled a bit and they have started to shoal, when you hit a shoal you can take a good number of fish before they wise up.  The biggest problem can be locating them.  On some of the warmer winter days you will get them on dry flies, the rises can be hard to spot, very gentle an little water disturbance.

Cheers

Ben

Peter McCallum

« Reply #3 on: 20/10/2009 at 23:12 »
maybe a wee trip for grayling through the forum??

Steven Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: 21/10/2009 at 01:26 »

Id be up for this provided I was at home! :z16

What sort of tackle is preferable? I would assume my 9' 9'' 4weight would be about right for nymphing?  Or would the leaded bugs I have read about being used suggest slightly beefier(sp) tackle?

Steven

Noel Kelly

« Reply #5 on: 21/10/2009 at 06:37 »
Jim doyle is the man for grayling days :z18

Jim Doyle

« Reply #6 on: 21/10/2009 at 12:50 »
I,m a bit late in getting sorted out this year. I will be doing my usual taster days on the Earn at kinkell Bridge.  These are not serious days but there are some good anglers turn up ad are happy to give advice.  the day is about £6 and theres usually food on the go.  I will get intouch with sandy and see what I can come up with.  The fishing methods are down to each angler.  jim

Andy Wren

« Reply #7 on: 21/10/2009 at 22:48 »
Any one down in the south of england I have a few days late december and January
on "my2 bit of the kennet ,been fishing there since the mid 70s and its a lovely spot .
3 or so miles of wee carrier waters ranging from jump across(young and fit not to mention stupid) to 25 ft wide and a 100 yards of the main river .
Fish here can be seen and fished for with tiny leaded bugs and round midday the drys will work .
Just love fishing for these wild unstocked fish ,I rarely catch biggies best for twenty years has been 2,5lbs ,but some of the guys I have on my days have done 3+

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 22/10/2009 at 08:55 »
For me you cant beat the Isla or the Tay at Stanley.Had some monster fish from both...but mainly on the float. Having said that, this winter I will be Czech Nymphing for them :)

Its very very expensive though :( I paid 50p for a ticket on the Isla at Meigle...and a whole £2.50 closer to Blairgowrie!! Outrageous!!!!  :z7

Duncan McRae

« Reply #9 on: 22/10/2009 at 10:04 »
Hi folks

Is there reason why Grayling could't be introduced to one of our North East streams?

I would love to be able to fish for them locally.

Duncan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 22/10/2009 at 11:48 »
Hi folks

Is there reason why Grayling could't be introduced to one of our North East streams?

I would love to be able to fish for them locally.

Duncan

Yes, because Salmon are held in a higher regard than anything else so anything that competes with Salmon for food would not be allowed. It is only until very recebt times that Grayling have been widely recognised as a prize game fish rather than vermin and thrown up the bank. There are rumours of Grayling in several local and not so local waters up here.

« Reply #11 on: 22/10/2009 at 15:00 »
I could be wrong but i thought it was an offence to introduce non-native fish species.  I am assuming that if a fish species has not been present in a system before then it is non-native.

Robbie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #12 on: 22/10/2009 at 15:26 »
Robbie,
The issue just now is the definition of "native". The powers that be seem to be extremely inconsistent in the application of the rules.

Mike can offer much better advice on the stocking of Rainbows, but it seems some areas you now need permission from the Scottish Parliament, others you can just stock, no questions asked (I dont believe this is the way its meant to be).

At the end of the day the only Trout in the UK that is native is the Brown Trout. All others are alien species.

There are many many fish that are truely native to mainland UK (Roach, Bream, Pike, Perch etc) yet they are not allowed to be stocked North of the border in new waters, but other fish, such as those from the aquatic trade, can be stocked in a garden pond (When does a pond become a loch?), right next to a river without permission.

The "green paper" was a great idea, but without an independent body to advise/enforce it seems a bit of a free for all in some areas.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #13 on: 22/10/2009 at 15:51 »
There are rumours of Grayling in several local and not so local waters up here.
There was a dead Grayling found on the banks of The Don a few years ago. Cant remember what beat but I remember it was estimated to have been about the 3lb mark.
Anyone know any more about that?

« Reply #14 on: 22/10/2009 at 16:06 »
Rob I know the issue of stocking can be a bit of a can of worms, as you say when does a pond become a loch etc.  However if we only consider grayling and rivers, if there have never been grayling in a river i would have thought they could safely be considerd a non-native species to that water.

I don't think the lack of stocking of Grayling is simply down to Salmon being held in higher regard as a sporting fish.

Robbie

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com