Rob Brownfield

Re: 2nd Rod Build Project - CTS Affinity Plus DH 14’ #9/10
« Reply #15 on: 02/11/2009 at 15:50 »
WOW.....fantastic!!!!!

Mike Barrio

« Reply #16 on: 02/11/2009 at 22:14 »
Cammy

Finally got home from my travels & have managed to dry fit my new handle set up for my next build.

Alex
That looks great Alex ...... I'm looking forward to seeing it and finding out what it feels like in your hand :z16

Between this handle and Cammy's feather inlay, I'm amazed at the stuff you guys are trying with your custom rods, this is fantastic!

Best wishes
Mike

stickleback

« Reply #17 on: 03/11/2009 at 22:48 »
Alex

What an absolute belter of a handle  :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16

Have you got any pics showing how you went about it - you MUST let us in on your secrets !!  :wink

:z18

Cammy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #18 on: 03/11/2009 at 22:56 »
Alex

What an absolute belter of a handle  :z16 :z16 :z16 :z16

Have you got any pics showing how you went about it - you MUST let us in on your secrets !!  :wink

:z18

Cammy

Hi Cammy

Handle & Reel Seat were imported from the US from 2 different people, took me quite a bit of time finding exactly what I wanted, now I just need to find the time to get the rod built.

This handle is made of Fancy Lace Redwood Burl & beautifully figured Tiger Maple Burl, accented with Bloodwood & White Ash

Actually took it in past Mike today to let him see it in the flesh - so to speak!!! :z16

Alex

stickleback

« Reply #19 on: 03/11/2009 at 23:14 »
This handle is made of Fancy Lace Redwood Burl & beautifully figured Tiger Maple Burl, accented with Bloodwood & White Ash

It certainly sounds as nice as it looks  :z4  Good luck with your build - it will be great to see your final rod.

Cammy

Alex Burnett

« Reply #20 on: 12/11/2009 at 00:28 »
Hi Cammy

Thought I would post some pictures once I got everything glued up & a Whipping Check fitted.

Off to start whipping Black on Black :z5 :shock :z5

Alex

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #21 on: 12/11/2009 at 08:25 »

Off to start whipping Black on Black :z5 :shock :z5

Classic :) One thing you might want to consider, and that is putting a single strand tipping on the whipping of a dark, metalic gray/gunmetal. It will match your reelseat, but be really subtle. Looks really smart :) BUt, being a custom build means you can do what the hell you like :)  :z18

Mike Barrio

« Reply #22 on: 12/11/2009 at 12:27 »
The wood is looking great Alex :z16

Custom building can be so much fun once you get in to it :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Matt Henderson

« Reply #23 on: 12/11/2009 at 13:04 »
I quite fancy the idea but I'm not really sure where to start.  I know if I was going to make a rod it would be a 5wt trout rod but I'm not sure in terms of where to get a kit from etc.  Any pointers out there for a starting point?

cheers

Matt

Alex Burnett

« Reply #24 on: 12/11/2009 at 13:30 »
I quite fancy the idea but I'm not really sure where to start.  I know if I was going to make a rod it would be a 5wt trout rod but I'm not sure in terms of where to get a kit from etc.  Any pointers out there for a starting point?

cheers

Matt

Best place to start would be a cheap kit off Ebay or something like that as if anything goes wrong you have not destroyed an expensive blank, then I would look on the internet, several Blank suppliers out there just type in "Blank Fly Rod 5wt" into your search engine & you are sure to find several from 2pc kits to 7pc kits.

Alex

Mike Barrio

« Reply #25 on: 12/11/2009 at 13:53 »
Sandy and I were at the point of expanding on the Barrio 3wt kits just before he found out that he was moving to Brunei :z6

That's why Sandy produced the step by step guide for building them for the website, but I haven't put it online.

Doing these in a #3, #4 and #5, plus some other specials would have been such a great idea, as the kits had all the suitable components worked out for you and some options like different wood inserts etc would be easy to incorporate in to the kits.

One of the beauties of course, was that you could try a finished rod before you bought the kit ..... and if you came to Haddo you could actually see the components before buying :wink

I couldn't get this up and running overnight, but it would not take me long ....... if you think products like this would be popular, I would certainly be very keen to set something like this up, as the whole rod building thing is so much fun :cool: and one or two of you have already found that being able to go somewhere local to find a winding check to fit your blank or whatever can be useful :wink

So ........ What do you think guys????

Best wishes
Mike

Alex Burnett

« Reply #26 on: 12/11/2009 at 14:15 »
one or two of you have already found that being able to go somewhere local to find a winding check to fit your blank or whatever can be useful :wink

Best wishes
Mike

:oops :oops :oops Yes I certainly have :oops :oops :oops

I think it would be an excellent idea,  :z16 I am certainly enjoying the new challenge and I am sure anyone else who gave it a go would find the same, the end result of catching a fish on a rod you have built yourself is even better than catching a fish on a fly you have tied yourself.  :wink :wink

Alex

Matt Henderson

« Reply #27 on: 12/11/2009 at 16:27 »
I for one would buy one and knowing that there was somewhere to go for a little after sales advice afterwards would be a definate plus. 

Bronzebommer

« Reply #28 on: 12/11/2009 at 22:59 »
Sounds good to me. It was nice to try my 5# before I bought it (I would have bought it anyway). As it is often said "Try before you buy".

stickleback

« Reply #29 on: 13/11/2009 at 00:09 »
Alex

That handle really does look the dog's danglies.  Well done.   :z12

Did the supplier ream it out to your request, or did you have to do it yourself ?  I would imagine trying to ream a proper wood handle to fit your blank would be a pretty painstaking experience - regardless of how you got it done it certainly looks the business.

Cheers

Cammy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com