Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Barry Robertson

Black & Silver Humungus
« on: 12/10/2009 at 22:37 »
Please excuse  the dodgy camera work  :wink and the amateur tying skills but here goes a black and silver humungus step by step my way  :lol:
Materials are as follows:
silver bog chain eyes
Fulling Mill comp heavy weight size 8 hook  
Black thread UTC 70
Fine silver wire
Black Marabou
Natural Grizzle hackle
Solid silver tinsel 6mm
D Downie Silver/Pearl sparkler flash

Tie in the eyes and tin in some flash for the under tail.

Tie in some balck marabou for the tail and some fine silver wire for securing the hackle later.

Tie in the solid silver tinsel behind the tail and wind up to below the eyes.
Tie in the natural grizzle hackle.

Give the hackle a full turn at the head then a further 4/5 turns down the body and then secure hackle with wire and counter rib the wire back up to behind the eyes.

Snip of whire and whip finnish fly, apply some sally hansen to head and fly complete.

Not the best step by step but iam sure you get the jist of it.
Great fly for pulling for browns and rainbows and a fly i like to have a few of in my box,
Tight lines,
Baz
 :z18

Iain Goolager

Re: Black & Silver Humungus
« Reply #1 on: 12/10/2009 at 22:44 »
Nice!............ Jazzclub!

Good to see a SBS Baz, takes a while eh?   & a very popular fly too.

Iain

Jay Scott

« Reply #2 on: 12/10/2009 at 23:10 »

I like the smaller one you tied up there... it looks like it could be more effective  :z2

Jay

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 13/10/2009 at 10:36 »
I like the smaller one you tied up there... it looks like it could be more effective  :z2

Jay

Small ones are for girls Jay  :wink
They do work ok but find for these flies, the bigger the better  :shock

Mike Barrio

« Reply #4 on: 13/10/2009 at 16:38 »
Small can be cool, Jay is currently on the loch, fishing spiders and buzzers and has just over 30 in the net ...... while others fishing WSW damsels and other bigger stuff are struggling to get half a doz! :wink

I do notice that on small stillwaters, mini type lures produce more fish than larger ones. Of course this could be very different on larger stillwaters.

Cheers
Mike

Barry Robertson

« Reply #5 on: 13/10/2009 at 17:28 »
I think maybe if someone caught 30 fish on the lake of menteith or Carron valley i might be impressed!
Small fishery statistics mean nothing as there is so many fish in the one place, i reckon you could catch 30 fish with the ugliest lure in the world if you fished it at the correct depth and speed the fish wanted  :z6
Just my opinion anyway   :z6
Probably a controversial opinion but i hey ho, we cant all support the same team!

Barry Robertson

« Reply #6 on: 13/10/2009 at 17:30 »
Small can be cool, Jay is currently on the loch, fishing spiders and buzzers and has just over 30 in the net ...... while others fishing WSW damsels and other bigger stuff are struggling to get half a doz! :wink

I do notice that on small stillwaters, mini type lures produce more fish than larger ones. Of course this could be very different on larger stillwaters.

Cheers
Mike

Alex (catman) Always does well at your fishery through the winter and if my memory serves me correctly he uses big lures alot!
I would have a guess that his olive alex and olive cats were his best fish taker in last years winter league!

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 13/10/2009 at 19:20 »
30 fish from anywhere is excellent angling :z16 Only times I have ever got anything like that number it has always been wild brownies.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #8 on: 13/10/2009 at 21:26 »
The whole "big stillwater" / "small stillwater" thing is fascinating! :z4

There aren't any waters in Aberdeenshire that one would call a big stillwater, so local anglers tend to do most of their fishing on our local small stillwaters and rivers. But they do venture further afield sometimes too, fishing the likes of Menteith, Leven, Northird, Lintrathen, Carron Valley etc, where in my experience they enjoy their fishing very much. There are also a fairly good number who venture down the road to take part in some of the bigger competitions on the likes of Rutland, they certainly seem to enjoy their fishing on these waters too and frequently do well in the competitions :wink

I think one of the funniest ( although worrying :shock ) things that I have had to deal with this year, was one of the days I had two visiting anglers on the water who appeared to be experienced enough, they had boat boxes, badges on the back of their vests and they had two rods set up each with different lines etc, they showed me boxes and boxes of all the latest flies that they had tied and they certainly were not beginners. They had taken the 6 hour fishing session, but came storming off their boat after less than 4 hours, proceeding to raise their voices and swear about the fishing on small fisheries like this one being far too easy and they would not be back. Now, one had caught 3 fish and the other had caught 4, so what was all that about? ...... and they wouldn't give me their names for the catch return sheets either, off they went, back to their cars, never to be seen again :roll

A couple of the regulars had been doing rather well that morning and one of the juniors had netted around 20 fish before they left, so yes, three anglers were enjoying some good sport ....... but just why this should annoy the two visiting anglers is totally beyond me :z6

There are far too many opinions and preconceived ideas about "big stillwaters, small stillwaters, wild lochs, wild rivers" etc etc .......... forget them .......... and enjoy your fishing!

Best wishes
Mike

lenap

« Reply #9 on: 14/10/2009 at 13:39 »
good morning bigtroot
                               as i watch you close in on the seal bugger type of flies that denny rickards ties ,i thought that this site ,would be helpfull in description and pictures.http://stevenojai.tripod.com/sealbugger.htm  denny is one of the very best at stillwater fishing. a lot of the tying i do is based on his insight. have you tried tying any egg sucking leeches? on your next big body fly use a tying loop filled with marabou and a little sparkle ice dub . brush this out and your fly will breathe in the water. let me know .pete

Alex Burnett

« Reply #10 on: 14/10/2009 at 14:03 »

Alex (catman) Always does well at your fishery through the winter and if my memory serves me correctly he uses big lures alot!
I would have a guess that his olive alex and olive cats were his best fish taker in last years winter league!

You would be right "Bigtroot" however I would not really concider them Big Lures as I only tie them up on size 12 B401s.

They are also doing quite well this season as well :wink (41)

Alex

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com