Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Derek 365

New fishing programme for TV
« Reply #60 on: 21/01/2007 at 19:42 »
Wendy ,

Anybody who has tied a daddy long-legs knows that doing those :mad: legs are the most fiddley and time consuming part of the whole pattern. If you ever do it again i recommend you try the Foam Daddy version as it floats alot better and has a more realistic silohette.

stickleback

« Reply #61 on: 22/01/2007 at 19:13 »
Wendy

Go for it and try tying your own flies.  I'm self taught starting off with simple patterns from articles on the internet like Spiderman's  :z14 spider patterns http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93

I also got myself the book "Fly Tying for Beginners" by Peter Gathercole which I found very useful.

But, the best idea is to go to a demonstration or class.  I went to a demonstration a couple of weeks ago and learned more in 3 hours of watching and chatting than I did bodging away on my own for the last 2 years. :oops:

Catching a trout on a self tied fly adds something extra to the experience.  But watch out - it's damned addictive  :z4

wendy

« Reply #62 on: 23/01/2007 at 22:04 »
Well how funny was that tonight  :lol:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #63 on: 23/01/2007 at 22:07 »
Hi Wendy.

Had to go out tonight so missed it, but my sons recorded it for me and I hope to be able to watch it soon, real soon.  :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Hamish Young

« Reply #64 on: 23/01/2007 at 22:14 »
Bloody typical - the presenter gets the 'fish'  :z6

Quality though - quality  :cool:

wendy

« Reply #65 on: 24/01/2007 at 07:57 »
I was embarresed with it :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

What they didn't show was that the other guys didn't want to swap over and let us fish the River so i sneaked away and found it :lol:  i also caught 4 fish in that River but it only showed me getting the one that "came to mama" hahahaha

wendy

« Reply #66 on: 24/01/2007 at 08:43 »
oh i almost forgot here is the link incase anyone missed it

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=8962106545017153392

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #67 on: 24/01/2007 at 09:12 »
Hello Wendy.

If you ever visit the NE of Scotland, give me a shout and the lads and I will take you coarse fishing in some of the most amazing scenary you can imagine for some of the biggest Pike and Perch you will ever see  :grin:

Thats a cracking Perch by the way, especially from a canal. I was brought up fishing the rivers, canals and pits around east london and Essex and a fish of that size would have been a rare beast indeed.

As for fly fishing for Pike, you should try it. A canal is the perfect place to start out as many of the fish lay under nearside bushes etc so no long casts. Also, because they dont tend to gro so big an 8 weight rod is fine. If you are fishing for Pike that grow big, then really you should be using 10 weight gear to get them in quick.

Perch on the fly is great fun too and that can be done with standard trout gear, a sinking line and fish shaped/coloured flies upto about 4 inches long.

Anyway, I am sure if you headed up this way you would be made very welcome by these baby eating Scots  :lol:

Regards
Rob

sightbob

« Reply #68 on: 24/01/2007 at 09:23 »
nice one wendy, loved the dive :z4
did they let u keep all the gear u were using or did u have to buy it before u went? just curious.
brian.

wendy

« Reply #69 on: 24/01/2007 at 17:37 »
Rob thanks for the offer i'll bear that in mind  :wink:

We got to keep the clothing and waders but never got to keep a rod reel or any flies it would have been nice to have been given a fly tying kit or something but nope just the clothing...

I really must get out fly fishing again soon i really did enjoy ya know it was so much fun! I think i will go get some flies this weekend and have a go.

Jay Scott

« Reply #70 on: 24/01/2007 at 18:00 »
Wow! nice fish wendy, love the show, i missed it on Tuesday but i watched it on the link you sent, thanks a lot great show.

Jay

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #71 on: 24/01/2007 at 20:41 »
I've just watched too, still good.

Amused by the "not as coloured as I thought" comment.

Nice reels  :grin:

Sandy

Mike Barrio

« Reply #72 on: 24/01/2007 at 22:52 »
Hi folks

I watched my recording this evening too, still great stuff and I enjoyed it like the previous ones. Beautiful place to fish  :cool:

Wendy

Yes, nice side stumble, quite normal wading practice that ........ I've done it myself sooooo many times and got an awful lot wetter than you did  :z4

In fact I fall in on far too regular a basis for my liking  :oops:  The last cracker was when I went to release a fish from the bank at the fishery with 10 new anglers in front of me in the boats .......... I kneeled on some grass that had no bank under it and proceeded to roll in head first with legs and arms going in all directions. Right under the water, let go of the fish and then stood up with my waders "ballooning full of water! Must confess I thought it was just as funny as my customers did  :z4   :z4   :z4

Best wishes
Mike Barrio

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #73 on: 26/01/2007 at 12:24 »
Mike,
Can you do it again for those of us that missed it!!..lol

PDScott

« Reply #74 on: 26/01/2007 at 16:26 »
"In fact I fall in on far too regular a basis for my liking "

I seem to remember you telling me that you did something similar in a float tube, Mike -ever thought of writing a book about your mishaps! Hope to see you in the not too distant future (weather permitting).
All the best
Peter

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com