Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

New fishing programme for TV
« Reply #15 on: 09/01/2007 at 20:45 »
I reckoned it was extremely brave, to put a flyfishing lesson on prime time TV. Well Done.
I thought they dealt with it pretty well for the layman.
Well presented in gorgeous scenery.

However:shock:

NO GLASSES!!!!!! except for one guy and the 3 with glasses on their head (no much bloody use there :roll: )
If we are to educate people properly then glasses are paramount.

Apart from that and Mr Hancock's dry hand and barbed hook!!! :cry:

I thought it was very good.Hopefully it will maintain the quality, and perhaps a few more folk will fancy giving it a go.

Again Well done :z16

Sandy

Jay Scott

« Reply #16 on: 09/01/2007 at 20:50 »
Well, he did have his glasses on until Nick Hancock told him to take it off and stop looking like a poser :z4  but not that i can comment about glasses, but i do have somewhere.

Jay

Peter McCallum

« Reply #17 on: 09/01/2007 at 22:02 »
Yup, Glasses were a real howler, particularly for novices.

Overall though it looks like a well thought out series, hope it continues like this.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 10/01/2007 at 10:45 »
Mixed thoughts from me to tell the truth....

Felt sorry for the chap who caught the brownie...poor sod did not even get a chance to see the thing before Hancock released it back.

Not sure they have the right presenter for this...i know they have chosen him as he is recognised from They Think its all Over etc etc..but all the same, I don't think he has the correct attitude to present something like this..bit of a bully I think.

Also felt that they did not talk enough about tackle and costs. Ok, it may have not been shown due to programme constraints, but I would have thought it was inportant to tell the audience, some of which might be wanting to get into fly fishing, what they were using, why, and how much it would cost.

But I did like the fact that there were 2 new Discos and 2 new 110 landrovers to oogle over.. :lol:

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 10/01/2007 at 15:03 »
Sad Bugger :lol:

Mike Barrio

« Reply #20 on: 10/01/2007 at 19:09 »
Hi folks
I enjoyed watching this very much and thought it was great  :z16 am looking forward to seeing the next one soon  :z12

Great stuff
Mike

stickleback

« Reply #21 on: 10/01/2007 at 21:35 »
Overall, definitely a positive step IMHO.  

Did you see the enthusiasm oozing out the pores of most of the "students".  I can't wait to see them progress.

And what a setting to start them on their journey - magnificent.  

Only minor negative in my opinion was the dry hands handling of the trout (but forgivable due to the excitement of the first catch and returning it to the water extremely quickly - I'm sure we've all done the same at some time).

Well done to Mr H for introducing it in the pissing rain and saying he enjoyed the weather. :grin:

Jay Scott

« Reply #22 on: 10/01/2007 at 21:45 »
I thought it was a great programme but i think they could have chosen a better presenter to be quite honest. I didn't think Hancock did as well as i expected, the dry hands was one of the main points but i've noticed matt hayes doesn't do it oh so often either. The glasses i should wear glasses and allways need a gentle reminding but to people new to the sport and are just trying to pick it up as they go along it could pose a problem, there wasn't a lot of information about the tackle length of nylon, what to look for in a rod ect ect.. but i recon next week may be a wee bitty better.

Jay

Mike Barrio

« Reply #23 on: 10/01/2007 at 23:23 »
I picked up on a couple of things as well

Yes, of course, there will always be one or two things that we would have done differently .......... but if I personally were to make a TV programme, I'm sure that others would find things that they felt I should or shouldn't have done too  :wink:

It is just grand to see some fishing on the telly and I got the impression that this one is going to be interesting to follow  :cool:

Best wishes
Mike

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #24 on: 11/01/2007 at 08:52 »
Mike

I suppose you have a point, but remember its on a prime time TV slot, so all these things should have been thought about before.Especially as Jon Beer was involved, i love his articles and he adds a real "proper fishing" angle to the programme.They might of course get it right next week, but as i said originally i take my hat of to them for making an difficult subject very watchable.And as old 3 spines says Enthusiasm is everything, especially for the viewer.

Sandy

spiros

« Reply #25 on: 11/01/2007 at 18:28 »
Thought the programme was pretty good and like jay said maybe more info on setting up ur leader and cast would be good but all in all for the first episode it was better than i expected with Mr hancock presenting and it will probably get better as it goes along.Plus now its on council telly i can watch it upstairs and the wife not pee'd off with me hogging the Sky.Rob said he was not sure he liked the presenter so who would he have picked?I quite liked Botham when he did Botham on the fly on discovery channel,what is everyone elses thoughts on a presenter then?

Jim Eddie

Presenter
« Reply #26 on: 11/01/2007 at 19:34 »
Thought Nick Hanncock did OK , he was not as annoyong as i thought he might be.

:z18

Jim

Hamish Young

« Reply #27 on: 12/01/2007 at 08:12 »
It got off to an "OK" start IMHO - looking forward to the next episode. I like the fact that it was filmed in the highlands and not somewhere more manicured or a specimen pond somewhere in darkest England-shire  :z3
This bodes well for future episodes  :cool:

postie

« Reply #28 on: 13/01/2007 at 14:46 »
Thought they did well and the enthusiasm was spot on. :grin:

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #29 on: 14/01/2007 at 20:58 »
Quote from: "spiros"
Rob said he was not sure he liked the presenter so who would he have picked?

Melinda Messenger..no doubt about it...lol

Seriously..I like Nick Hancock, but I just felt he was a bit too bullish. If he was a first class fly fisher, then fair enough..but he is not any better..and in some cases worse than many of the folk on this website.

To talk authoritatively on a subject you really need to be pretty knowledgable (imo that is  :grin: )..so someone like Charles Jardine, Peter Cockwill, even Bob Church maybe..orrr..since it was fishing in the Highlands..Bruce Sandison... :shock:

Still..did a better job that I ever could have :)

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com