Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Monkey for next week
« on: 11/10/2009 at 20:13 »
Just had an hour or so at the vice.....

Dropped a lot of fish yesterday so left the tubes long on these in the hope that I will get a better connection next time I am out.  Also gone for a red throat, red is supposed to be a a productive colour for autumn salmon, anyone got any evidence or theories on why this is the case?

Ben

Jay Scott

Re: Monkey for next week
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2009 at 20:20 »

That looks a cracking fly Ben! What length tube did you use?

Jay

Conehead

« Reply #2 on: 11/10/2009 at 20:46 »
Ben..like the look of fly

Always use a lot of red in my patterns this time of year myself. Do I catch fish because I'm using red or is it because the fish prefer red this time of year : :z8. I have heard theories suggesting that it may have something to do with the cock fish colouring and reddish colours triggering fighting insincts.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #3 on: 11/10/2009 at 21:02 »
Tube is 1 7/8" with the body tied to 3/4", overall fly length is 4 1/2", used the liner tube from Veniard Scandi tubing to keep it slim and will prbably just tie a large knot on the double hook and fit the knot into the end of the tube to secure it. 

Would be nice to be in a place with sufficient salmon visble to put some of the theories to the test to see just how many of them actually hold true.  I usually do quite well at this time of year on Red Allys or cascade variants where the orange is substituted for red but could not possibly know if the same fish would have taken a standard Allys or Cascade.

Cheers

Ben

Matt Henderson

« Reply #4 on: 12/10/2009 at 17:31 »
whats the underwing ben?  I tied a money up last night but with an orange underwing of artic fox with angel hair then another layer of orange artic fox then the same with the goat and angel hair.  Tried it briefly today but it was on a metal tube and my rod wasn't fit for it.  Still may I suggest an emerald stoat?   :wink 

Ben Dixon

« Reply #5 on: 12/10/2009 at 19:16 »
whats the underwing ben?  I tied a money up last night but with an orange underwing of artic fox with angel hair then another layer of orange artic fox then the same with the goat and angel hair.  Tried it briefly today but it was on a metal tube and my rod wasn't fit for it.  Still may I suggest an emerald stoat?   :wink 

Hi Matt,

Underwing is racoon, and a bit of flash, overwing is Colubus Monkey hair, long goat will also do.  Tie on Aluminum or plastic tubes and fish on a sink tip, a SH 7wt lone should chuck them O.K, if a strugle then chop a few inches off the front taper.
Had a few on a Silver Stoat last week too.
Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 12/10/2009 at 19:47 »
Nice fly,
I'll have to tie some on longer tubes, meantime I'll need to tie up some flies in Red.
Will do some tubes later.

mdh,
a picture's always nice (of your fly I mean - not a school photo) :grin

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #7 on: 12/10/2009 at 19:51 »
Red Shrimpy thing.

Jay Scott

« Reply #8 on: 12/10/2009 at 20:02 »
Nice fly Iain  :z16... what did you use for the throat? I have been using squirrel for that sort of thing but was planning trying other materials :?

Jay

Iain Goolager

« Reply #9 on: 12/10/2009 at 20:10 »
On the money Jay - black Squirrel :z16

Matt Henderson

« Reply #10 on: 13/10/2009 at 15:38 »
Iain,

As per your request

My take on the monkey.  For some reason I can never get the peacock herl to lie flat along the body.

A silver and emerald stoat which have given good results with trout and sea trout. 

cheers

matt

Iain Goolager

« Reply #11 on: 13/10/2009 at 23:19 »
Thanks Matt,

Nice flies, what do you think of the Eumer teardrops? I've only just started using them but can see me boosting the Finnish economy in the future.

Emerald Stoat you say.....Green & Black  :wink............nice colours :z16

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #12 on: 17/10/2009 at 18:33 »
Thanks Matt,

Nice flies, what do you think of the Eumer teardrops? I've only just started using them but can see me boosting the Finnish economy in the future.

Emerald Stoat you say.....Green & Black  :wink............nice colours :z16

Iain

Iain,

I thought they were a bit fiddly to begin with.  The liner tubes wouldn't fit all the way through and then struggled to get them to stop spinning.  So a wee soak in hot water sorted out the liner problem and then super glued the needle to the tube and then just break it out afterwards with a pliers.  However I've splashed out on the HMH adaptor for tieing more.  I also forget to take into account the length of the hook etc when buying them so they are a wee bit longer than I would have liked but I'll know for next time. 

Yeah funny you mention the colours I saw your post on the importance of colour and went through the book I have looking for something black and green that could be tied on a size 16 low water double and the emerald stoat was what I came up with.

cheers

Matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 17/10/2009 at 19:05 »
I use the Eumer tube fly vice for tying tubes.  Is absolutely the very best flytying toy I have ever bought, I actually enjoy tying tubes now, no spin at all regardless of the type of tube.

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com