Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Goolager

Re: Dummies guide to salmon fishing
« Reply #15 on: 09/10/2009 at 22:33 »
not for sale, young fellow me lad! :z7

Ben Dixon

« Reply #16 on: 09/10/2009 at 22:35 »
The short rod v the Traditional Scottish 13 to 15 footer, in the States they would think nothing of fishing for Salmon on a 9ft rod probably 9# though. I think its really about having more control over the line with a longer rod rather than the power to control and land a fish, also if you want to chuck out big tube flies it helps, but in reality there is nothing intrisically wrong in fishing for Salmon with a single hander.
 :z18

Jim          
Spot on Jim, use a rod that suits the water and flies you are throwing.  

I do 95% of all my Don salmon fishing above Kemnay with a single hander, usually a 9'6" #6 saltwater rod.  I am very comfortable with this rod and it has not struggled with anything I have caught so far, it has now landed several double figure salmon however, I am not recommending that everyone gets out the 6wt and goes chasing salmon a 7 or 8wt would probably be more appropriate when there is the chance of hooking anything other than small fish or grilse.  The suitability of the tackle depends upon angler experience and the individual outfit.  Another advantage to using a short rod is that it is much easier to land / net a fish  if you are fishing alone, I have lost fish trying to net or beach them on long DH rods.  
In terms of casting, I prefer to Spey cast copper or tungsten tubes on a Spey line and DH rod but there is no reason that with the right line most salmon flies including Sunrays cannot be cast on a heavy trout rod.

Cheers

Ben

Jay Scott

« Reply #17 on: 09/10/2009 at 22:54 »
not for sale, young fellow me lad! :z7

Tut tut... destroying a young man's hopes and dreams  :z4 :z7

:z18

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com