Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Noel Kelly

Dummies guide to salmon fishing
« on: 09/10/2009 at 13:37 »
Thinking of having a first ever attempt at fishing for salmon tomorrow and looking for some advise.
I have a roving ticket for the Don so thats Alford, Kintore and Inverurie to choose from.  
What sort of water should I be fishing?
How should I fish it, upstream, down?
Types of retrieve?
Fly suggestions?
I know thats pretty broad but any hints at all would be great.
I will be using a 7 weight 9 ft 6 and have the usual basic lines to choose from eg floater, sink tip, inter, di3 and di5. Basically where about,s should I be trying to present the fly?
Cheers :z18

Jim Eddie

Re: Dummies guide to salmon fishing
« Reply #1 on: 09/10/2009 at 14:55 »
Noel

I'm sure there are more knowlegable guys on the subject on this forum but here's my tuppenceworth,

You are looking for water wher the Salmon will lie up, where the current is not to fast. also behind obstructions etc
Across and down , its cast then step cast then step tail you get to the tail of the pool.
You do not generally retrieve when Salmon fishing , just let it swing round in the current after an upstream mend , when its swung round just let it hang for a moment they ofetn take then , do not strike into a Salmon, just lift the rod (easier said than done for a trout fisher)
Flies , you pays your money etc Ally's shrimp , Cascade , Willie Gunn, tubes and waddingtons if you want to go deeper.

:z18

Jim     

adambrain

« Reply #2 on: 09/10/2009 at 15:46 »
Hello,
            I to want to try my hand at salmon fishing and thought id have to buy some new kit, is the 7wt 9 ' 6" your talking about your trout gear or is it a salmon rod?

cheers Adam.

Noel Kelly

« Reply #3 on: 09/10/2009 at 15:55 »
Hello,
            I to want to try my hand at salmon fishing and thought id have to buy some new kit, is the 7wt 9 ' 6" your talking about your trout gear or is it a salmon rod?

cheers Adam.

A retired trout rod :grin Dont see why it wouldnt do unless I hooked into something massive  :shock and even then what,s the worst that can happen :z4

adambrain

« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2009 at 16:18 »
Ah thats good to know, and sorry for butting in on your post. Let us know how you get on tho.

Good luck

Iain Goolager

« Reply #5 on: 09/10/2009 at 17:09 »
Hi Noel,

Hopefully the wind will be in your favour tomorrow as a single hander today would have been a tall order at times due to the wind

As for the venue? I'll drop you a pm

I'm off to paint a room in the house and if I can get finished off I'll try and grab a few hours with you tomorrow.

There are fish in the river but I'd say it needs a good 6 inches (cheeky) to help things along.
* Cover as much water as you can
* Don't go light on leader breaking strain (I typically use 19.5lb)
* Flies??? I think mobility and depth are more inportant, Black and Green, Black and Orange, Cascade, Black Red & Yellow, Yellow & Black?????? who knows?
* Jims' description of lies are as good as any.
* As is his note on not striking. It's hard not to lift straight into a fish if it takes when the flies on the dangle but if a fish takes on the 'swinging across' point it's not such an issue as the rod is usually held in a leisurely 'lazy ghillie' manner.

I was out today on one of the ADAA waters and was fortunate enough to hook 3 and even managed to land 2 of them (safely returned).  What did I say about Green, Gold & Black? the dogs danglies!

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #6 on: 09/10/2009 at 17:13 »
Oops, and here's the man fish

TROUT-SALMON

« Reply #7 on: 09/10/2009 at 17:50 »
 :z16Nice fish Iain what beat was u fishing any one els get one . what size were they well done  :z18 :z16 :cool:

Jay Scott

« Reply #8 on: 09/10/2009 at 19:05 »

Nice fish Iain  :z16.... Couldn't help but notice the reel though :cool: had to stop myself salivating. :z7

Is it a Loop Opti?

Jay

Noel Kelly

« Reply #9 on: 09/10/2009 at 19:47 »
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Jim  :z16 sound advise as always.

Iain :shock ya dirty dog. Very well done, I'm beginning to think that you have an idea of what you,re doing :cool:
I hope to be out first thing tomorrow and will only manage a few hours.
In fact I am supposed to be taking a mate out trout fishing tomorrow, have had no luck getting in touch to postpone so river may not happen for me at all :z6
Give me a call if you are heading out.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #10 on: 09/10/2009 at 19:49 »
Aye nice fish Iain , been in the river a wee while though  :wink

The short rod v the Traditional Scottish 13 to 15 footer, in the States they would think nothing of fishing for Salmon on a 9ft rod probably 9# though. I think its really about having more control over the line with a longer rod rather than the power to control and land a fish, also if you want to chuck out big tube flies it helps, but in reality there is nothing intrisically wrong in fishing for Salmon with a single hander.

:z18

Jim          

Barry Robertson

« Reply #11 on: 09/10/2009 at 20:00 »
Good fishing Iain, glad to see you getting some sport  :z18
Thats a nice flee also  :wink
Is that a Guideline rod your using  :shock

Conehead

« Reply #12 on: 09/10/2009 at 20:05 »
Hi Noel

Sink tip would probably be a good bet, you will find it quite difficult to cast the bigger salmon flies often used at the back end with the single hander. Should be okay with doubles or trebles down to size 8 with long tails, or use a smallish conehead or aluminium tubes. If water is lowish make sure you dont overlook the throat of the pools and also give the last third a good going over, especially if there is good depth and rocks etc.
Good luck any way Noel, remember that you can come over to the Findhorn next season any time, plenty of gear to lend you.

regards Geoff

I know where you can get a lovely Vision gt 4 8/9# double hander cheap :z4

Iain Goolager

« Reply #13 on: 09/10/2009 at 20:13 »
Aye nice fish Iain , been in the river a wee while though
What you talking about Jim, a bar of silver so it is! :grin

Is that a Guideline rod your using

No Baz, it's a Henrik Mortensen VII

Is it a Loop Opti?
That it is Jay, but I hate it and want to give it away to someone who'd appreciate it, interested? :z4 :z7

Give me a call if you are heading out.

I'll send you a text int morning Noel.

Jay Scott

« Reply #14 on: 09/10/2009 at 20:29 »

:shock Whats wrong with it?

.....and how much? :P hehe

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com