Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Which hooks?
« Reply #15 on: 09/10/2009 at 01:05 »
Hi Sandy

All sorts of Partridge and Shakespeare products appear to be disappearing off the shelves :wink

Cheers
Mike

Yeah, Pure Fishing have discontinued the Partridge brand, there is no longer a distributer for Partridge in the UK.  I have heard a few rumours about folk taking it on but nothing concrete.  Bit of a pain for me as it has become a struggle getting hold of Partrige Salar salmon hooks and a few of the flashpoint trout series were seriously good hooks.  To my knowledge Mustad are still making all the partridge range of hooks they are just not available in the UK,

Cheers

Ben

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 09/10/2009 at 08:09 »
Yet another British company gone to the wall  :roll

I have had to order my Ad Swier Pike fly hooks from Holland or Germany for quite a while now :( I hope they dont stop making them :(

Peter McCallum

« Reply #17 on: 09/10/2009 at 08:30 »
What would you use for F Flies peter?

Probably B400's cos the partridge L3A's I've got from the hook mannie in Aberlour are not consistant in small (16&18) sizes I tie F flys in

Alex Burnett

« Reply #18 on: 09/10/2009 at 09:57 »
Talking of hooks what do you all use for F flys, barbs in tact obviously  :z18

Hi Baz

I normally tie my F-flies on Kamasan B401's, believe I get a better hook-up than with
the B400's  :wink but as with most things in Fishing, hook choice, is a personal thing.

Alex

Derek 365

« Reply #19 on: 09/10/2009 at 12:54 »
Just squash them down...no pinging :)

I used my fly vice for flattening all my barbs just before i tie a pattern , do anyone else do this ?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #20 on: 09/10/2009 at 18:39 »
Any reason why you dont just crimp the barb down on a normal hook that you like?

I like the wee bump it makes, working on the principle that it helps the hook hold a little better when a fish jumps, open mouthed, gills flared.

This a very true statement , i too think when using de bearbed hooks the wee nub made when the barb is flatened actually acts as a mini barb if you know what i mean  :z13

Dutchfly

« Reply #21 on: 09/10/2009 at 19:41 »
I have had to order my Ad Swier Pike fly hooks from Holland or Germany for quite a while now :(

Hi Rob,

Partridge hooks not available in the UK? Can't believe what I'm reading here! If you need them, I can send Ad Swier Pike Fly hooks to you, no problem.

CU

Jeroen

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com