Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

New Fishery opening at Maud
« on: 03/10/2009 at 16:57 »
I see there is a new fishery opening at Maud , its Brown Trout only and a bait pond for kids with Rainbows. Its due to open at the start of next season.

I think they will have a hard job with Brownies only , but I wish them all the best  :cool:

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: New Fishery opening at Maud
« Reply #1 on: 03/10/2009 at 17:19 »
What like a size is it Jim  :?

Jim Eddie

« Reply #2 on: 03/10/2009 at 18:50 »
Not sure Baz , there a an article in the P & J today , it said it was 25,000 square feet , not sure how much that is in real money  :wink

:z18

Jim

Bronzebommer

« Reply #4 on: 03/10/2009 at 21:17 »
0.4935701 Acre if that helps  :wink

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 04/10/2009 at 17:20 »
0.4935701 Acre if that helps  :wink

I think my garden pond is bigger than that then!  :roll

Iain Cameron

« Reply #6 on: 05/10/2009 at 09:47 »
there a an article in the P & J today , it said it was 25,000 square feet , not sure how much that is in real money

i cannot picture what 25000 feet sq looks like, so...

25,000 sq feet would be a pond of about 158 feet x 158 feet, or about 53x53 yards (assuming a roughly square-shaped pond).
if for argument it was about 30 yards wide, then it could be about 90 yards long, 90 feetx270 all roughly speaking.

a classic double decker london bus is about 30 feet/10 yards long according to google.

which means that some of guys playing with Mike's competition line have been casting about the length of four buses. cool! 

Yes, I am that bored. been stuck at home with sciatic nerve pain for last 4 weeks or so and going stir crazy!

cheers
iain

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 05/10/2009 at 13:12 »
Is there "room", and I use that term loosly, for another "fishery" in the north east? I cant see the Brownie afficianardos going to fish it when you have the Don and Devron a few miles away plus Fedderate and other natural brown trout waters just down the road.

It sounds a very small hole in the ground, with "family" facilities and a bait pond making it sound more like a tourist attraction than a fishery???

Any thoughts anyone?

Barry Robertson

« Reply #8 on: 05/10/2009 at 13:41 »
The term a very small whole in the ground is getting all to common these days, i cant believe you have the likes of federate on your door step but people opt for a the smalll whole in the ground where fish jump onto hooks  :z4
I think the wee places are a good place to start off to give confidence but at the same time also give the new angler a false sense of fishing and in turn expect fish all the time.

Bronzebommer

« Reply #9 on: 05/10/2009 at 14:35 »
 Too many people have no interest in 'Fishing' and just want to take up 'Catching'. Unless they are gaurenteed a fish they dont want to know. Sad but true.  :z6

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #10 on: 05/10/2009 at 15:52 »
Just re read my post..rather negative. Dont mean to be..sorry.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com