Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Lintrathen?
« on: 26/09/2009 at 22:40 »
It was a cracking day today, with a lot of forum members fishing on various waters :cool:

How did the Lintrathen trip go guys?

Best wishes
Mike

Jim Eddie

Re: Lintrathen?
« Reply #1 on: 26/09/2009 at 22:58 »
Well Mike it was a wonderful day :z13, the weather that is  :z4 the fishing was not as good as the weather but a but a good day out all the same  :z16
We will have to plan it better next year so it does not clash with a tubing day  :oops It was good to put names to faces of a few guys I have not met before.

I also got the heavy artillery out 9# and some cracking Pike flies supplied by Goolangler but the Pike were not playing either  :roll

Never mind I've a day off work on Monday and heading up the Ythan after the Silver Tourists  :z16

:z18

Jim

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 26/09/2009 at 23:25 »
How did the rest of 'The Dirty Dozen' fair?
 :roll
Was it flat calm? too hot?

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 26/09/2009 at 23:33 »
Between 10 rods today on the water only 3 bows were taken, plenty of browns also.
Water was last stocked on the 1st of August and with 16 cormorants on site it was always going to be a hard task.
It was bright all day and the wind was up for most of the day, like Jim said it was fine to meet some new faces.
Next year i think we should have a day early season then another at the start of August, i will maybe see about booking dates early on and getting 5 boats for each day.

« Reply #4 on: 28/09/2009 at 13:53 »
Hi guys,

Thanks for the day out on Lintrathen and all those involved in organising it.
Although I rarely post on the forum I do keep an eye on it and it was good to see some of the faces of the more regular users. Thanks to James as well for fashioning my flies so well in the boat :oops
While the Bow was a good fight (while it stayed on) and the Perch were no where to be seen the brownies did not disappoint me. :wink

Rob.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #5 on: 29/09/2009 at 13:20 »
Hi All,
         Just thought I,d mention the amount of green (blue-green ?) algae in the water . It was like pea soup. Some of the sheltered bays had bright green slicks . Not good this ,given it's a public water supply .
I wonder if SW are aware of it ?

Anyway that's my excuse . :wink

Paul.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #6 on: 29/09/2009 at 20:00 »

Noel Kelly

« Reply #7 on: 29/09/2009 at 21:39 »
I know they alone wont be the cause but the amount of geese and swans on the water wont be helping much.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 29/09/2009 at 21:42 »
I don't think you are far off the mark Noel , on a lot of waters it would be fishing in the summer and wildfowling in the winter, does not seem to happen as much thaese days though.

Mind you there were a pair of Sea Eagles keeping the geese numbers down at St Fergus last winter , I'd like to see them in action 8ft wingspan !!!

:z18

Jim

Paul Rankine

« Reply #9 on: 30/09/2009 at 13:08 »
Hi All,
        Dunno why but I just pictured sea eagle flying off with a recently plucked from the surface  float tuber  ................

:z4

Barry Robertson

« Reply #10 on: 30/09/2009 at 13:11 »
Lay off the mushrooms paul please  :z5

Paul Rankine

« Reply #11 on: 30/09/2009 at 18:04 »
Hi Baz,
         Is that a sea eagle coming up behind you in your Avatar ? It's that pink hat I tell you !
Jim,
      Yeah, most local authorities in Scotland have a BG Algae watch on the go via their Environmental Health departments. I,m surprised that there were no warning notices up at Lintrathen given the extent the Loch was affected.

Noel,
       Most of the nutrients driving algal growth come from nutrient enrichment from fertilisers throughout the summer months. There's nae doot however that this enrichment can be considerably enhanced by birds , particularly  large flocks of overwintering geese in some places. Strathbeg eg.

At this time of year the stuff is starting to die off releasing microcystin toxins among others. Should be at least some notices warning of this and to WASH YOUR HANDS. Although human side effects are not well documented BGA toxins are known to be responsible for the deaths of some animals , notably dogs which have been encouraged to swim by their owners.

Paul.

Conehead

« Reply #12 on: 02/10/2009 at 21:05 »
My first trip to Lintrathen, a bit dissapointing from the fishing side of things but the company was good. Thanks to those that organized trip. Hoping to go back sometime as I feel it owes me now.... :z8

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com