Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Re: What if?
« Reply #15 on: 24/09/2009 at 00:32 »
This is great guys :z18
keep it coming, giving me lots to think about
I expected a few different takes on this.

So do you think that a custom build on a "label"
blank is going to be a better product?
Or is it all in our heads,due to marketing
power :z6

cheers

sandy :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #16 on: 24/09/2009 at 08:58 »
Ok, am I missing the point?

Bespoke rod made in Scotland from custom mandrels and cloth - David Norwich - also have the ability to get small runs of your own blank run off.

Bespoke rod made in Scotland from custom built cane (Bamboo) - Clan Rods - will build you EXACTLY what you want..but its expensive. (also do carbon, greenheart etc)

Rod designed, manufactured, built and marketed in Scotland - Daiwa - massive range in both cost and quality.

Custom built on a "label" blank - numerous builders from small, " a dozon a year" to the likes of Alba Rods that do hundreds a year.

So what is the uniquness of it? Where is the niche? You can get Scottish built, from the ground up, rods from £100 to £10,000 already.

Not trying to be obnoxious, just trying to work out what the finished product is and what would be unique about it and therefore why would people want one?

Ben,
You mention about carbon technology etc...there is one UK blank manufacturer that can and does take on the US companies, but unfortuantly its not interested in fly rods. I would even go as far as saying that the technology this company has will feed out to the likes of the US companies as its primary role is the development of military compositse. ie, helicopter blades etc. extremely advanced stuff that they are now using in there carp and sea rods.

Irvine Ross

« Reply #17 on: 24/09/2009 at 14:06 »
I expected a few different takes on this.

So do you think that a custom build on a "label"
blank is going to be a better product?
Or is it all in our heads,due to marketing power

Sandy

Are you trying to tell me you know enough to make a blank that is as good as a Scott S4, an Orvis Helios etc? Even if you do, will you be able to compete with their products in 5 years time? If your blanks are not that good then the Ben Dixons of this world won't buy them, so what is your market sector?

Building on another maker's blank is a low risk business. Your only investment is a few rod turning machines and you can rent a small working space. Up front capital investment, almost nil. The maker provides the warranty on the blank. Cost to you - nothing. You can also cater to a wide range of customers by selecting the blank to suit their budget.

On the other hand, what is the cost of a blank rolling plant, how much time will you have to spend building and testing prototypes? You will be in a narrow market with only your own limited range of blanks to build on. What do you do if a customer comes back and wants a rod for bonefish?  It's a high cost investment in capital and time into a narrow market sector so it's high risk.

How much are you willing to gamble?

That's my business head talking. Maybe I'm too cautious but at least I'm still in business.

Cheers
Irvine

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #18 on: 24/09/2009 at 15:57 »
The maker provides the warranty on the blank. Cost to you - nothing.

Not always the case. Most manufacturers make it very clear that the warrenty is for the "original owner"..that being the builder as they buy the blank then sell the blank on, thus making it "secondhand".

It is possible to get a "warrenty" on a custom rod from the original manufacturer, but the only one I know in the UK is Simpsons of Turnford, in Kent. That is with Sage. Simpsons make a big deal about them being the only place in the UK allowed to offer this.

I am lucky in that I have not had a rod break for a customer (thats tempted fate), but if that happens, there is little I can do besides getting a replacement section amd making it at cost.

However, I have been assured that IF that happens to me, the supplier will sort cheaply..but there is still a cost to pass on.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #19 on: 25/09/2009 at 00:56 »
Ok, am I missing the point?

Yes, read the very first post again, particularly the second paragraph :z16

Not trying to be obnoxious

Never thought you were.  :z7

just trying to work out what the finished product is and what would be unique about it and therefore why would people want one?

And this is what i was doing too :z6

I'm going to be here for at least 4 years (probably longer), so starting something  in UK is not likely. It was more  a game of lets pretend to see what people might actually want from the market. Besides a lot can change in 4 years :wink
I was kind of expecting you to want a "Browning Special" carp blank with some sort of secret ingredient that others have missed :wink

:z18
Sandy

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com