Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

What if?
« on: 21/09/2009 at 01:37 »
Hello Gents

What would you expect to pay for a completley Scottish Made flyrod that would compare to a Sage or Orvis, but be higher build quality and Partisan in flavour .

Would you buy one?

What type of one would you want?

Before you start i know such a thing already exists, but pretend it doesn't :wink and humour a bored Builder :z6
I'm thinking Carbon as well as cane so am open to all ideas.

:z18

Sandy

Hamish Young

Re: What if?
« Reply #1 on: 21/09/2009 at 07:26 »
It would have to compete on price, depending on who built such a thing build quality would have to be exceptional.
Would I buy one? Probably......
What type :? Hmmmmmm. That's tricky, market seems short of a really good loch drifting rod in the 11ft range for a 5/6wt. So my first hunt would be there as, to be fair, I have almost a good collection of rods in other sizes and weights.

Definately not a cane rod though, lovely to look at and works of art but not my personal 'bag'.

My two cents  :wink

:z3

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 23/09/2009 at 02:18 »
Cheers H

I suppose the idea is the blanks would be made in house, so almost anything could be made.
One wonders at just how economically you could produce truly bespoke rods.
and whether they could be made for the same sort of money as high end off the shelf products.
I reckon they could if you understood the material and lay-ups well enough, that opens up a lot of possibilities.

All theory of course, anyone else got any ideas!!!!!!!!

Sandy

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 23/09/2009 at 09:40 »
Am I not correct in thinking we have a scottish builder that can build a bespoke rod already...?? Infact, two builders..David Norwich and Clan rods?

I think one of the biggest problems for such a scheme would be peoples attitude. For some reason people think that the best custom rods are made in the US (I think this is based on cost..its more expensive so it must be better). Place a Sage and a Harrison blank on the table and I bet 99.9% of folk would want the Sage. However, there are quite a few builders in the UK using Harrison blanks, Mick Bell being one of them, to build there own custom range, and people pick the rods up and say its the best rod they have ever used!

Using an American term...go figure :)

I really cannot think of very many custom builders that actually roll there own cloth..I have spoken with David Norwich at length about his process and the guy understands fishing rods as does Dr Harrison, although Harrisons are would famous for there carp blanks, very few have seen or used there fly rods.

At the end of the day I dont believe its the cost of the materials that would knock up the price, it would be the manufacture of the mandrels and the time and effort spent getting these right that would prohibit rods being made at a reasonable cost.

Lastly, manufacturers like Sage, Loomis, Daiwa etc have access to amazing facilities and materials that your average rod builder would never see. This means they can build lighter, faster, stronger rods than Joe Bloggs in his shed..but, it does not always mean they build better "fishing" rods :)

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #4 on: 23/09/2009 at 10:09 »
Very interesting thread that I have no chance of contributing too haha

« Reply #5 on: 23/09/2009 at 11:26 »
In my opinion being made in Scotland would be a nice to have in a rod but would not be a major factor in rod choice, definitely would not be prepared to pay more just because a rod had been made in Scotland.

A higher build quality would justify a higher price but it would be difficult to quantify this without some comparison of the goods.  From the Orvis rods I have looked at the build quality was very good, not sure that an improvement on this would justify a significant price increase.

It would seem that the target market would be quite niche, aiming at people wanting a rod that is a little bit special and have some money to burn.

Robbie

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #6 on: 23/09/2009 at 13:21 »
Rob

Interesting response, not really much to do with the question :z6 but an interesting response.
With one or two largely missinformed statements- i'll leave you to discover them  :wink one day :wink

Robbie

I was kinda thinking that price would at most, equal that of the high Orvis/Sage hopefully undercut them, not the other way around.

What i wanted to know was what type of rod would you like, if you could have anything and would you be willing to pay a decent price for it
assuming it did not exceed that of a high end  Sage/Orvis, (should you have the means to be looking at one).
And being honest chaps, would you buy one? genuinely :z8 Or would you go for off the shelf because what you want is there for the taking? even if you could have something a little more exclusive for the same kind of readies

Sandy

« Reply #7 on: 23/09/2009 at 13:36 »
Sandy,

When you mention high end Sage / Orvis I assume you are talking about around £600 rods.  I don’t think I could get a purchase like that past the financial controller.  I am a tackle tart and if I was in a position to buy such a rod, something more exclusive would be a temptation.  :grin

I have a 9ft #4, which is my go to rod, and a 10ft #7 for any heavier work.  I have been toying with the idea of a shorter light line rod for use on a couple of small over grown streams.  I thought the Orvis superfine 6ft #2 might be an option.  This is all pie in the sky just now.

One thing that would affect choice would be the ability to try before you buy, especially when purchasing a higher end rod.

Cheers,

Robbie

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #8 on: 23/09/2009 at 13:59 »
Sandy,
Please elaborate rather than just take the p!ss.

You asked what people would pay, I replied I dont think they would as they would rather buy American. Did that not answer your question?

You highlighted Made which I took as you meaning from the ground up..which is already being done.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: 23/09/2009 at 16:03 »
You highlighted Made which I took as you meaning from the ground up..which is already being done.
never said it wasn't :grin yet

You asked what people would pay, I replied I dont think they would as they would rather buy American. Did that not answer your question?

:z8
I'm confused, someone must buy them.

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #10 on: 23/09/2009 at 16:07 »
Robbie

cheers for that I was thinking more around the £400 mark though
especially if the rod was a standard ish size.

Sandy

Irvine Ross

« Reply #11 on: 23/09/2009 at 17:41 »
Sandy

I already have a high quality rod, a Winston BIIx built in Scotland by some dude by the name of Nelson. What are you going to do to beat that? The only thing you would be offering would be the cachet of the blank being made locally. I can't see how one small operator could compete with the development and testing facilities of the likes of Scott, Orvis, Sage, Hardy etc. combined.

Also once you have made them, you have to market them so the costs of advertising, attending demonstration days etc. spread over a small number of rods is going to bump your costs up even further.

Stick to the building. You can offer customised rods at competitive prices and let someone else deal with the costs of replacing breakages.

Maybe my outlook is tainted by years of being self employed but there's my tuppence worth.

Orrabest

Irvine

Paul Rankine

« Reply #12 on: 23/09/2009 at 20:41 »
Hi Sandy,

1) What would you expect to pay for a completley Scottish Made flyrod that would compare to a Sage or Orvis, but be higher build quality and Partisan in flavour .

2) Would you buy one?

3) What type of one would you want?

Answers for me,

1) £200-£400
2) Yep.
3) 8ft 8" 4wt

Why do you ask ? Have you got some spare blanks salted away !! :z4

Paul.

Irvine, maybe  part of Sandy's point is that he can (has) utilised exactly what you mention in terms of the big name rod (blank) manufacturers capabilities ie they do the development nitty gritty .
 He selects exactly what the buyer wants to build on , ( or  he's come across a blank  makers factory for sale ! )

:wink

Ben Dixon

« Reply #13 on: 23/09/2009 at 22:49 »
Few good points there, I think any potential UK builder would have to do a bit of resaerch and find a niche or several to fill and then set about working on the best strategy to fill them.  The big companies will always have access to better banks and technology, the fact that they are big already means that they are able to go buy the latest technology or at least someone who can give it to them.  I would say that there probably is a market for a made in Scotland rod but it would need to be marketed correctly and it would have to compare to the very best out there in the same price bracket. We have world class fishing here so I think that rods made here would, or could do well even outside of the UK.  Build quality would not be an issue if the rods were made on a small scale by one or a handful of builders and, with a clever build and the right components it is possible to make a blank into several very different "rods".  I would think that, unless it was cane then the price would have to be £400 or less, once above this the builder would be marketing the rod against Orvis Helios, Sage G5, or Angel 2 carbon technology, all of this is serious stuff and no matter how good the build was the blank and carbon would have to be up to the same spec to command the same price.  I may be a bit different, I want a rod for how it does the job of fishing and casting, if it is sh!t hot I do not really care about having to pick a bit of epoxy off the rings but I do like good cork on a rod at any price, finish and origin certainly would not be the deciding factors for me purchasing a rod or not.  The question for me is always, is this the best performing rod out there for what I intend to use it for at the price I want to pay?

Cheers

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #14 on: 23/09/2009 at 23:03 »
Sandy,
the only rod that immediately springs to mind is something in the 10' 6" - 11'  3-4wt camp (4wt I think). A nice softish action in Olive with copper trimmings & a slim half wells handle. Reel seat would be up for discussion. I've a wee tributary where, although narrow, would benefit from the control that such a tool could give due to serious bankside vegetation.
 :wink

ALSO the rod bag and tube would have to be stylish - maybe it's just me but I think for a bespoke rod these things are important.

Cost? remembering that I'm skint, £250 to £300 pounds? OK so I'm cheap! :z7

Take it easy
Iain  

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com