Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

ColinC

whats a booby fly?
« on: 09/09/2009 at 00:10 »
Since im rather new to fly fishing, what is a booby? As some places forbid them, not sure why but have read it on the rules. Anyone care to enlighten?

Cameron deBoth

Re: whats a booby fly?
« Reply #1 on: 09/09/2009 at 08:09 »
Type of fly, never used one myself but heres an example stolen off the google

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 09/09/2009 at 08:31 »
Its not so much the fly that is the problem, its the method.

One way of fishing them is to use a very short leader, perhaps a foot or two, on a very very fast sink line, fished static on the bottom. Along comes the fish, takes the fly, the angler picks up the rod and winds it in. The fish is normally hooked at the back of the throat whish means it could not be released of if it breaks the line, will possibly die.

On the other hand, the booby can be fished on the point with a couple of buzzers and it becomes a very effective top water tactic.

Barry Robertson

« Reply #3 on: 09/09/2009 at 22:21 »
Not so much the method but the angler  :z6
A great fly when used correctly but the reason they are banned is not all anglers use them correctly and when fished the wrong way they can end up right down the fishes neck!
A must have fly in my opinion and on its day produces great results  :z18

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 10/09/2009 at 10:09 »

I was trying to be more subtle ;)

ColinC

« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2009 at 01:05 »
cheers for the info guys

Dave Mundie

« Reply #6 on: 15/09/2009 at 19:08 »
A great fly when used correctly but the reason they are banned is not all anglers use them correctly and when fished the wrong way they can end up right down the fishes neck!
A must have fly in my opinion and on its day produces great results  :z18

So whats the correct way then Baz?

Dave

Barry Robertson

« Reply #7 on: 15/09/2009 at 20:03 »
Well it has to be fished for a start and not left alone or fished static!
I was at rescobie today and nothing moved all day and the water was green with algae, i fished a single booby on a fast sinker with varied retrieves to get my fish today  :z6
Not my prefered method but i tried nymphs/buzzers/cormorants/traditionals the lot so the booby is always my last line of attack  :z18
Also a very usefull fly to put on the point of a midge tip line or a slow intermediate when drifting to keep the flies in the top 3ft of the water :z13

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com