Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Iain Cameron

multi-piece travels rods
« on: 15/12/2006 at 09:37 »
hi all

just booked flights to go and fish in argentina/patagonia from from boxing day till mid jan. just a little bit excited...!!!  it is also summer there... ;-)

i'd like to take a 2nd  rod -- anyone recommend (or sell!) a multi-piece travel rod, 5-weight-ish, 9 foot? Would need to be 28inches max length when packed away to fit in my case. under 150quid.

i'll be based in San Carlos de Bariloche, which readers of this month's Fly Fishing & Fly Tying may recognise as the place in which the amazingly light fly reel reviewed by Magnus Angus is built... anyone want one bringing back!? ;-)

cheers
iain

wildfisher

multi-piece travels rods
« Reply #1 on: 15/12/2006 at 12:37 »
Take a look at "March Brown". I reviewed 2 for Fish Wild.

http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php?database=1&getpage=tacklereviews&pid=8

They are nice rods – 7 piece and come in various lengths

Iain Cameron

multi-piece travels rods
« Reply #2 on: 15/12/2006 at 14:03 »
Quote from: "wildfisher"
Take a look at "March Brown". I reviewed 2 for Fish Wild.

http://www.fish-wild.co.uk/index.php?database=1&getpage=tacklereviews&pid=8

fred, thanks for that, look great. i won't have time to try out and evaluate so i'm relying on good recommendations -- and pleased to read your opinion in your article that you need 2 travel rods in case of breakages in the wild... i was wondering if I could get by with just the one...

cheers
iain

Sandy Nelson

multi-piece travels rods
« Reply #3 on: 15/12/2006 at 15:24 »
Iain

Mikes' 4pc Otter is 27" when apart, he still has some.
He also has a Lureflash quattro for sale pretty cheap, not sure on the line weight though.

If you ask nicely he might let you take one of the prototypes with you, it would be good to get one tried out in a completely different enviroment.
Plus we could add tested in patagonia to it list of merits :z16

Wish i was coming too.

Sandy

Iain Cameron

multi-piece travels rods
« Reply #4 on: 15/12/2006 at 16:46 »
Quote from: "spiderman"
Iain

Mikes' 4pc Otter is 27" when apart, he still has some.
If you ask nicely he might let you take one of the prototypes with you
Sandy

hi sandy, i did use a 4#wt otter the other day, when considering buying it. It's slightly faster than my "relaxed" casting style (used in the loosest sense of the word) allows, and since it wasn't giving me an experience a million miles away from my usual 5# rod, i decided it wasn't necessary for me. Mike had previously offered a prototype for the patagonia trip, which was very generous of course.

I now have two rods sorted for the trip
-- a 4-wt, 4-piece Bloke XL50
-- a 5-wt, 7-piece March Brown Hidden Water
(thanks Fred for the tip; uk website is http://www.marchbrown.co.uk/  -- i ordered one today, and it was despatched 27 minutes later...!!!)
plus assorted random rods my pals there own.

I will exclusively use Barrio Fly lines and Troutcast, of course! ;-)
cheers
iain

wildfisher

multi-piece travels rods
« Reply #5 on: 15/12/2006 at 16:59 »
Iain,
I recall  that Magnus tested the Hidden Water for FF+FT and liked it, Allan Liddle has used one too and liked it. They are good rods and reasonably priced. Did you order from the US?

Iain Cameron

multi-piece travels rods
« Reply #6 on: 15/12/2006 at 17:09 »
Quote from: "wildfisher"
Iain,
I recall  that Magnus tested the Hidden Water for FF+FT and liked it, Allan Liddle has used one too and liked it. They are good rods and reasonably priced. Did you order from the US?

no, ordered from the .uk site, having first phoned to check delivery estimates; rod is already en route by courier, could have had it tomorrow (though picked monday and delivery via my work address)

iain

Jim Eddie

March Brown
« Reply #7 on: 15/12/2006 at 19:35 »
Iain

I have had a 9ft 5#  March Brown for about a year now. IMHO you have made a good choice.
Saying that rods are very personal things , one mans meat etc

:z18

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com