Iain Cameron

Re: making my own leaders.
« Reply #15 on: 20/05/2009 at 07:35 »
If you had the following spools of mono nylon in your tackle bag:
(a) 3 lb at 0.18mm
(b) 4 lb at 0.20mm
(c) 5 lb at 0.22mm
(d) 6 lb at 0.25mm[/color]
How would you make up DIY tapered leaders from these? and how would you make them up for the different type of flies that you fish?

I would be happy with that set -- that's pretty much the range of mono that I carry for river & stillwater (with occasional beefin up to 8lb)

My fave set-up is quick, easy, versatile. For me, the benefits of *simplicity* outweigh the possible presentational advantages of a more finessed set-up.

I use a tapered leader, about 9-12ft, tapered down to about 6lb or so at the point.
To that goes on a silver tippet ring. great wee things.  That's my starting point.

To this I can add...
- 6 foot of mono, weight appropriate to fly/conditions. usually 3 or 4lb or 6lb depending on location, and a single fly. if turnover is a prob, trim back to 4 feet.
- for buzzer/nymph teams,  tie a dropper (4-6lb) to the ring, then a single nymph on point, or water knot in an extra dropper.
- for stillwater dry, sometimes a wee spider on the ring dropper helps keep the leader under the surface in flat calms
and so on

advantages that I like? tapered leader stays on the line for weeks (OK, probably months); only have to change/discard the tippet length; droppers can be snipped off/added to ring super fast. if changing flies a lot, then the shortened tippet bit just gets replaced with a longer bit, simple

The range of mono weights mike mentioned are light enough to match the end of the taper, and enough for tying in droppers as needed too. ideal.

but... i think i will experiment and tie up a taper myself, and do a wee comparison...
cheers
iain

Mike Barrio

Re: making my own leaders. New
« Reply #16 on: 22/05/2009 at 00:11 »
Great stuff Iain  :z16

paavo

« Reply #17 on: 22/05/2009 at 10:56 »
I

I use a tapered leader, about 9-12ft, tapered down to about 6lb or so at the point.
To that goes on a silver tippet ring. great wee things.  That's my starting point.

Hi Iain,

That silver ring sounds like a good idea. I have never used a silver ring in my tapered leaders. It’s not common here in Sweden to use such a ring in the leaders. How small are the rings that you are using?

//Harri

Iain Cameron

« Reply #18 on: 22/05/2009 at 13:44 »

That silver ring sounds like a good idea. I have never used a silver ring in my tapered leaders. It’s not common here in Sweden to use such a ring in the leaders. How small are the rings that you are using?

//Harri

hi Harri

3mm. They are light and don't seem to affect the floating/sinking properties of the whole leader. My experiences with the wee leaders rings has been very positive; perhaps others will have different opinions.

I think these are the ones I currently use:
http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/shop/br_othermakers/ty_293-leadersnylon-tippets-and-casts/1855-riverage-leader-rings.html
{i'm not recommending the web site; this is just to show you them}.

Best tied on at home... not on hte river bank/float tube. they're easy to lose... :-)

when tying leader to them, I always slip a large hook/fly, point first, through the ring -- this give you something to grip and pull when tightening hte knot.

cheers
iain

paavo

« Reply #19 on: 22/05/2009 at 18:30 »
    :z18     for the info Iain. I’ll check on my local store, and will try the ring next time out.

//Harri

Dutchfly

« Reply #20 on: 13/07/2009 at 18:01 »
Iain,

A simple sollution is to 'hang' the rings in a safety-pin. Make the knot before you open the pin and hey presto!

But be warned: don't attach the safety-pin directly yo your vest. There's allways a chance that you'll lose all your rings (been there...  :cry). Better to use a second safety-pin for that job.

CU

Jeroen

Peter McCallum

« Reply #21 on: 13/07/2009 at 18:11 »
Iain,

A simple sollution is to 'hang' the rings in a safety-pin. Make the knot before you open the pin and hey presto!

But be warned: don't attach the safety-pin directly yo your vest. There's allways a chance that you'll lose all your rings (been there...  :cry). Better to use a second safety-pin for that job.

CU

Jeroen

Sneaky!!! I like it :grin :grin

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com