Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

No longer a virgin !
« on: 22/07/2009 at 09:18 »
I am no longer a float tube virgin !!!!!!

Went to North Third reservoir, four miles outside Sterling, with Englander...First lesson - Englander, being a young fit lad blew his Shakey tube up in about 2 minutes....I started to inflate my Sparton and realised it was going to take me two hours ! (memo to self: buy a pump !) fortunately a kind soul in the car park took pity on me and produced an electric pump from his boot - job done !!!!!

North third is about 140 acres, very picturesque with two dam walls to the North, 300 foot high cliffs to the East and lots of heavily wooded islands. The water is peaty and looks like a rich malt whisky 

We launched in a temp of about 13 Deg. C. Strong gusty SW wind and rain showers. I pootled around for a while whilst Englander finned over to the islands as if he had a motor fitted  I had threaded my Sparton pile comforter onto my tube shoulder straps and found no problem in shifting my position or moving the comforter.

After a few tentative bites and me falling in whilst landing to go to the loo, my ghillie, Englander, suggested we try his home tied sparkly Damsel thingie on size 10 barbless hooks (he took the first fish of the day on a boobie washing line with a light damsel on the dropper)

We fished from 10 - 5pm (£20 ticket with a 10 fish limit) and ended up with 5 very fit rainbows, all about 2 1/2 lb.

The final score was:
Englander; 2 for 4 1/2 lb. One small brownie released, hooked and lost a good rainbow and missed about 6 gentle bites.
Brit in Bahrain; 3 for 7lb and three missed bites.

My thanks to my ghillie, Englander, for a great day out 

Nigel

Iain Goolager

Re: No longer a virgin !
« Reply #1 on: 22/07/2009 at 10:19 »
Good stuff Nigel,

I had threaded my Sparton pile comforter onto my tube shoulder straps and found no problem in shifting my position or moving the comforter.

Do you leave the carrying straps on when afloat? or did I pick you up incorrectly?

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #2 on: 22/07/2009 at 10:45 »
Nice report and glad to hear you got off to a great start in the tube  :z16

Jim Eddie

« Reply #3 on: 22/07/2009 at 13:00 »
Thanks for sharing that with us BiB, good to hear other peoples experiences and new of other venues.

:z18

Jim

« Reply #4 on: 22/07/2009 at 22:36 »
As Englander says, man's greatest invention !

Iain, perhaps I didn't express myself very clearly when I mentioned the carrying / shoulder straps....I used the shoulder straps to carry the tube to the water, threaded on my Sparton pile comforter (just to ensure it didn't float away) and then sat on both it and the straps then after my maiden voyage I just picked up the tube - with the pile comforter still attached, slipped the straps over my shoulders carried the tube up to the car, dumped it and then made a frantic dash to the port-a-loo ! (just made it, you will be glad to know !)

Had a great day and am now planning my next tubing trip to target pike - landing one in a tube (if I get that lucky) will be a whole new learning experience !!!!!!!!

Nigel

Just out of interest - my 'kit'.

Sparton tube
Cabella 5mm neoprene stocking foot chest waders
Typhoon divers rock boots (brilliant wading boots !)
Force fins
Snowbee deep wading jacket
Seago manual lifejacket (not that I felt there was the slightest chance of me having to swim for it !)
10 foot 6/7 Sonic rod
Sierra Avalanche reel
Floating line

« Reply #5 on: 24/07/2009 at 11:37 »
Well, trip number two. Went to a wild Loch in Central Scotland after pike. Conditions were windy - like 30 mph from the south.

Didn't catch anything (not even a bite) but finned 1/2 mile upwind and then got a free -rocking horse- ride back amidst the whitecaps !

Thoroughly enjoyable in spite of blanking.

Nigel

p.s. Slept well last night after all that finning !

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com