Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Sandy Nelson

Whats with pink?
« on: 11/12/2006 at 20:49 »
It seem that every Mag this month seem to have a bent towards pink flies.
Whether its spider, nymphs or dries.
Personally i've never had much to do with pink flies apart from the odd Blob for my sins :roll:
However all this talk and suggestion about using pink flies has me intrigued.
has anyone else got some good pink stories/patterns they wish to share?
I might just tie up some of the spiders for a laugh.

Sandy

stickleback

Whats with pink?
« Reply #1 on: 11/12/2006 at 21:14 »
At the start of the season I tied up a couple of soldier palmer variants using 'red' ice yarn, which was more pink than red.  I tried them several times and caught sod all.  :oops:  

As a 'control' experiment I also tried 'normal' red soldier palmers and usually caught.  :grin:

I'll try them again next season before reaching a firm opinion.

Graham Ritchie

Whats with pink?
« Reply #2 on: 11/12/2006 at 23:09 »
Seems to be more of a grayling thing, although rainbows are a bit partial to pink flies at times.

Derek 365

Whats with pink?
« Reply #3 on: 12/12/2006 at 07:48 »
For almost a year now i've have great success with a pink app's bloodworm , but over the last month it's caught me very little... coincidence or what.For those who haven't tied it here it is....
Hook - Size 8
Tag - Neon Magenta Floss(Glo-Brite#2)
Body - 6 Pink Seed Beads
Legs - Shrimp Pink Flexifloss

Rob Brownfield

Whats with pink?
« Reply #4 on: 12/12/2006 at 08:32 »
In the summer I use a large pink "fly" for the Pike. Its an EP pattern, dressed about 6 inches long with a pink "wing", splash of red for gills and pink tinsel stuff as a flash. Does very well for me but come this time of year it seems to stop working. Maybe it is because the waters are so clear so the pink is a bit too much, but more nattural patterns such as Perch work better...although yellow seems to be good as well.

whats with pink
« Reply #5 on: 12/12/2006 at 13:49 »
try this one sandy kamasan b110, small gold head, fire orange 6/0 tying thread ,glue gold bead, touching turns thread from bead good bit round the bend of hook, tying in wee bit of marabou ,a piece of small oval gold. Take thread back touching turns back round the bend then build up thread so its just  smaller than the gold head, then take oval gold up to the head and tie in .  i super glue mine then varnish for durabilty as i was going through some hooks and i gave few away trying to help folk catch afish they were not disapointed they caught for about 6 weeks thenwent quite that was the G-- fly  :oops:        It caught afew doubles young andrew got his first double at haddo in his bag of ten.it caught on all fishiers i was on        why ido not no. its busserish with a pink tail  .have you any  :idea:  why         the waterbouys     :lol:

Hamish Young

Pinkies
« Reply #6 on: 12/12/2006 at 16:36 »
When there used to be Sea Trout on the west coast lochs I used to use a pink muddler for the wee silver fishes of joy at dusk and into the night  :wink:  Not sure if the pink was really all that important to be honest.... more the bloody great wake they left behind (size 4 l/s hook  :shock: ).
Have also used a large pink Teeny Nymph to good effect on the Dee for Salmon and the odd Sea Trout :cool:
I've never tried a pink blob - yet, anyway  :wink:

Whats with pink?
« Reply #7 on: 13/12/2006 at 10:53 »
i have a wee story about a BIG pink Zonker type thing.

was at a fishery (shocking already eh?) and a chap with arthritis was catching regularly without seeming to do much just a twitch every minute or so. being nosey and not liking not catching as much as others i watched him for a bit but couldnt fathom it so i asked.

he had a size ten long shank hook with gold bead, pink mini fritz body, and pink zonker strip tied in over the back of the body. this was tied to four feet of 8lb flourocarbon and then to his floating line. he cast it off the dam wall ( bout ten yards) and then commenced the twitch a minute routine and got a take almost every cast. i tried similar with white rabbits and black zonkers and orange and then yellow but got nothing (didnt have pink) he reckoned probably correctly that the fish were feeding between the stones on the bottom but only the pink was catching for him.

i tied two of them up that night and went back for a couple of hours the next day and managed to catch 9 in two hours and this was all on the pink one compared to getting 17 the day before in 8 hours fishing just about everything in the box to find some consistency.

so to sum up, the pink seems to have its moments.

thats a lot of typing for for these two fingers :lol:

give it a try guys it certainly seems to have its moments :!:

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com