Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

8524gavin

Cleaning equipment after Norway fishing
« on: 15/07/2009 at 20:12 »
I have just returned from a fishing trip in Norway, which was great.  Fished for both salmon and trout - didn't catch salmon, but next time!
Just wanted to know if I have to clean my fishing gear any special way before fishing again in the Don. Let me know guys.
Cheers
Gavin

Rob Brownfield

Re: Cleaning equipment after Norway fishing
« Reply #2 on: 16/07/2009 at 09:51 »
Orvis in Banchory and Somers both have the correct "dips" etc for cleaning gear.

Having said that, the best way is to leave the gear to dry completely in bright sunlight..the UV from the sun kills just about everything.

Hamish Young

« Reply #3 on: 16/07/2009 at 16:02 »
Have to pick you up on that one Rob.... leaving in the sunlight for extended periods (ie - days.... in Scotland at least) is one way of getting rid of the wee bar-stewards, but not the best method - which remains the treatment of all equipment by a certified/competent body by chemical treatment.

Freezing is also acceptable, but certification is the key thing and that can only be achieved by going through a vets or approved agent. I think it would be misleading of us to suggest anything other than that.

Hamish  :z3

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #4 on: 16/07/2009 at 16:20 »
Hamish,
I hear what you are saying but unfortuantly most of these "wonder dips" are useless.

Only reason I know this is because Cass works with Biocides etc every day, even tests them on "critters" in there labs over on the Orkneys. I often get lectures about there "efficientcy" etc  :cry and how the concentrations used are no where near enough to be called "effective". She often quotes dip times of several days to get the desired effect.

I don't argue with her since she has acess to said Biocides ;)

As for the sun..yes, a bit scarce just now, but totally dry equipment that has been exposed to UV rays will be safe.

To be safe..I would do both..get dipped then totally dry in the "sun"...no point in taking risks.

salar35

« Reply #5 on: 17/07/2009 at 18:57 »
Hamish,
I hear what you are saying but unfortunately most of these "wonder dips" are useless.

Sorry Rob, but with all due respect to Cass's expertise, I would hardly think that the Dee biologists would tolerate Somers / Orvis / various local vets offering a disinfection service which was not effective on GS.  Provided that dilution rates are responsibly adhered to, talk of using other methods such as drying-out in sunlight, is frankly rather reckless......how can one categorically tell, for example, when thick felt soles on wading boots are dry to the point where any parasites are actually killed, especially where they are to be re-used fairly soon in Scottish waters?

If a certificated dip in the recommended fluid does fail, then God help our salmon in the river in question.

On the home-made front, a prolonged dip in strong common salt solution will kill GS and may be Gavin's answer here.  Dave

8524gavin

« Reply #6 on: 18/07/2009 at 13:46 »
hi there
thanks all for the advice , have taken kit to somers for cleaning   :z16
cheers
gavin

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #7 on: 20/07/2009 at 08:33 »
I would hardly think that the Dee biologists would tolerate Somers / Orvis / various local vets offering a disinfection service which was not effective on GS. 

I hear what you are saying 100% but I have a strong distrust of disinfectents having seen several fisheries down south fall victim to disease because "dips" as recommended by various govenment bodies did not work.

GS canot survive away from a host for more than 7 days in the wet, 5 days being the norm. 2 days of drying at 20 degrees will kill it dead. One hour at 60 degrees will also do the same.

It also cannot survive a strong salt solution as already pointed out. If anything, salt would be the most effective control of it.

The problem I have is that the disinfectents recommended are Virkon, which although being effective against the likes of blood bourne pathogens, such as HIV, Hep B, TB etc, it does not appear to have been tested for parasites. ..it is purely a Virus/Bacteria/Fungi killer....and the other is Wescodyne..which is a "general" disinfectent which is recommended for cleaning hospitals etc.

The recommendation is to "mix" the above disinfectants then add salt and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) to the mix. Out of that lot, the salt will kill it, the Caustic soda will rot your gear and the two disinfectants will kill bacteria but not the parasite.

I would personnally use the salt or the drying, preferably both as both are proven methods not just in fishing but in fish keeping and aquaculture for the removal and destruction of all sorts of parasites.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com