Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Mike Barrio

Herons
« on: 02/07/2009 at 23:23 »
Hi folks :cool:

Is it my imagination, or is this the year of the heron? :roll I don't remember seeing so many young ones before ..... they are even fighting for space on the water :shock

Anybody else noticing this? They are hungry too and trying to attack anything that moves, including young ducklings and goslings :shock

Cheers
Mike

Mike Barrio

Re: Herons
« Reply #1 on: 02/07/2009 at 23:33 »

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #2 on: 03/07/2009 at 08:09 »
I have seen a good few around Dunecht, just standing in the midle of certain fields. I am presuming they are after frogs or newts in marshy areas? Although I have heard they are partial to snakes too...so maybe its Grass snakes they are after?

Duddingston Loch in Edinburgh is absolutaly mobbed by Herons this year. They look so comical trying to land in the trees when the tree is already full of them. The fishing for smaller fish has drastically fallen on the loch over the last few years, but I think thats more down to the cormarants that are there. You often get squabbles breaking out between them and the Herons.

Mike Barrio

« Reply #3 on: 03/07/2009 at 08:39 »
Hi Rob

Funny you should say that ..... there is also an explosion of wee ( puddocks? ) in the grass this year, tiny little frogs or toads :z3

Cheers
Mike

j.r fartley

« Reply #4 on: 03/07/2009 at 09:19 »
i was thinking that myself, just the other week there was 8 herons sitting on the island below don bridge!

Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: 04/07/2009 at 22:04 »
We normaly just have the one. But lately we have being having a lot of squabbling with two or three herons.
Last night i had to get the revolver out as the osprey was going for the heron.( Ospreys favorite tree) A few blanks were shot and all quiet.

Jonathan

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #6 on: 06/07/2009 at 08:26 »
Last night i had to get the revolver out as the osprey was going for the heron.(

:shock :shock Can you do that in relation to the Firearms Act??

Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: 08/07/2009 at 20:01 »
Hi Rob
        Thats just to scare them away. I have a few of them at the moment.
Did you ever get that orvis ?

Jonathan

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com