Fishing The Fly Forum, based in Aberdeenshire,  Scotland

Jim Eddie

Fedderate Resevoir
« on: July 13, 2009, 20:17:08 PM »
I fished Fedderate Reservoir on Saturday  , itís a reasonable size body of water a couple of miles south of New Pit Sligo . Its controlled by the Fraserburgh  angling association . Permits are £10 keep 3 fish if desired then catch and release, it has stocked Rainbows and wild Brown Trout , the Brownies grow to a decent size.

Its bank fishing only (pity as its an ideal tubing water) , its never very crowded and most days you will be lucky to meet another angler (or unlucky as the case may be )  itís a horse  shoe shaped loch with a small burn running into each arm. I find the arms are the best  fishing.

It was ideal fishing conditions warm , overcast with an incredible hatch of Olives and midges , its one of the few times that they live up to the name buzzes as  you could fairly hear the buzz, lucky I had repellent and a midge net with me or I would have been eaten alive.

The fish were rising every where feasting on the olives , it turned out to be a really frustrating day , chucked every thing but the kitchen sink at them but they were fixated on the olives,  got one on a dry Greenwells , but that was my lot , twice I was broken off due to my own bad knots , which made it even more frustrating . Still if it was easy every time it would not be so enjoyable when we did  get it right. 

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1298949

:z18
Jim
"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

Barry Robertson

Re: Fedderate Resevoir
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
Looks and sounds like a nice place, definately be giving it a go before the end of the season  :z16
Cheers for the wee write up  :z18

Goolager

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Jim, I'm in the throws of organising a date.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 13:19:21 PM »
Hi Iain,
          Give us a shout if you fancy a date  :wink
Paul.

ythanfisher

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 19:51:39 PM »
Hi.

Fished it regularly 50 years ago when I was a teenager, locally it was known as Bonnykelly Dam.

The thing I remember most vividly was the huge hatches of white caenis that appeared in the summer evenings, when fish were moving everywhere but were difficult to catch.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 19:57:03 PM »
Hi Ythanfisher

50 years ago , you even make me feel young  :z4 Its also know as Loch Riach (not a lot of people know that)  :wink

It was also where the last Osprey in Aberdeenshire was shot in the 1920's when they became extinct :mad prior to being reintoduced.

Jim

"Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing what they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion."

phil slessor

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 08:40:51 AM »
A group of mates & i are going to fedderate dam on the 26th
should be a good day out  :cool:
Flytyerís Eye (Oculusitis mosca):  A condition whereby the sufferer finds it impossible to pass anything furry, feathery, made of wire, glass or plastic without wondering whether he or she can make a fly out of it.

Euan123

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 20:57:59 PM »
Me and some guys from work fish up there every second friday,

Some days its a battle to say the the least then you can have fish take one after the other,

Damsels are the best pattern up there to use,

Euan.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 21:07:02 PM »
Euan

You are correct , it can be dour or it can be spectacular, you just have to catch it on the right day. I suppose that go's for all fishing though  :wink

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 22:28:00 PM »
A group of mates & i are going to fedderate dam on the 26th
should be a good day out  :cool:

How did it go may have been a bit wet in the morning :?

I'm thinking of going this coming Sat not fished there since i was a loon wi the worm, used to cycle all the way from Rosehearty can't see me doing that now :!

Dave

James Wark

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 13:26:58 PM »
Does anybody know where to get day permits for the fedderate?

Thankyou in advance,
James :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 16:18:24 PM »
Seem to recall Fraserburgh AC had that all tied up, try emailing the club secretary James Watson mrjdwatson@sky.com

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience ;)

Dave Mundie

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 20:43:37 PM »
Last i heard they were available in local shop in Maud. Lets know what you find out from the club.
Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 23:18:41 PM »
Day tickets are available from the POst Office in New Pitsligo
Fishing its head of by the way so well worth a go

Jim

† Forum moderators : Mike Barrio - Hamish Young - Sandy Nelson

Barrio Fly Lines, designed in Scotland ... Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines - www.flylineshop.com - At the heart of your fishing ..... lies a great fly line!

Please click here to read our cookies and privacy information before using our website forum

All content on this website is © copyright www.fishingthefly.co.uk