Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Fedderate Resevoir
« on: 13/07/2009 at 20:17 »
I fished Fedderate Reservoir on Saturday  , it’s a reasonable size body of water a couple of miles south of New Pit Sligo . Its controlled by the Fraserburgh  angling association . Permits are £10 keep 3 fish if desired then catch and release, it has stocked Rainbows and wild Brown Trout , the Brownies grow to a decent size.

Its bank fishing only (pity as its an ideal tubing water) , its never very crowded and most days you will be lucky to meet another angler (or unlucky as the case may be )  it’s a horse  shoe shaped loch with a small burn running into each arm. I find the arms are the best  fishing.

It was ideal fishing conditions warm , overcast with an incredible hatch of Olives and midges , its one of the few times that they live up to the name buzzes as  you could fairly hear the buzz, lucky I had repellent and a midge net with me or I would have been eaten alive.

The fish were rising every where feasting on the olives , it turned out to be a really frustrating day , chucked every thing but the kitchen sink at them but they were fixated on the olives,  got one on a dry Greenwells , but that was my lot , twice I was broken off due to my own bad knots , which made it even more frustrating . Still if it was easy every time it would not be so enjoyable when we did  get it right. 

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1298949

:z18
Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: Fedderate Resevoir
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2009 at 09:25 »
Looks and sounds like a nice place, definately be giving it a go before the end of the season  :z16
Cheers for the wee write up  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2009 at 10:25 »
Jim, I'm in the throws of organising a date.

Paul Rankine

« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2009 at 13:19 »
Hi Iain,
          Give us a shout if you fancy a date  :wink
Paul.

ythanfisher

« Reply #4 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:51 »
Hi.

Fished it regularly 50 years ago when I was a teenager, locally it was known as Bonnykelly Dam.

The thing I remember most vividly was the huge hatches of white caenis that appeared in the summer evenings, when fish were moving everywhere but were difficult to catch.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #5 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:57 »
Hi Ythanfisher

50 years ago , you even make me feel young  :z4 Its also know as Loch Riach (not a lot of people know that)  :wink

It was also where the last Osprey in Aberdeenshire was shot in the 1920's when they became extinct :mad prior to being reintoduced.

Jim

Phil Slessor

« Reply #6 on: 15/07/2009 at 08:40 »
A group of mates & i are going to fedderate dam on the 26th
should be a good day out  :cool:

Euan123

« Reply #7 on: 15/07/2009 at 20:57 »
Me and some guys from work fish up there every second friday,

Some days its a battle to say the the least then you can have fish take one after the other,

Damsels are the best pattern up there to use,

Euan.

Jim Eddie

« Reply #8 on: 15/07/2009 at 21:07 »
Euan

You are correct , it can be dour or it can be spectacular, you just have to catch it on the right day. I suppose that go's for all fishing though  :wink

Jim

Dave Mundie

« Reply #9 on: 26/07/2009 at 22:28 »
A group of mates & i are going to fedderate dam on the 26th
should be a good day out  :cool:

How did it go may have been a bit wet in the morning :?

I'm thinking of going this coming Sat not fished there since i was a loon wi the worm, used to cycle all the way from Rosehearty can't see me doing that now :!

Dave

James Wark

« Reply #10 on: 10/08/2017 at 13:26 »
Does anybody know where to get day permits for the fedderate?

Thankyou in advance,
James :z18

Hamish Young

« Reply #11 on: 10/08/2017 at 16:18 »
Seem to recall Fraserburgh AC had that all tied up, try emailing the club secretary James Watson mrjdwatson@sky.com

Dave Mundie

« Reply #12 on: 12/08/2017 at 20:43 »
Last i heard they were available in local shop in Maud. Lets know what you find out from the club.
Dave

Jim Eddie

« Reply #13 on: 12/08/2017 at 23:18 »
Day tickets are available from the POst Office in New Pitsligo
Fishing its head of by the way so well worth a go

Jim

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com