Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Jim Eddie

Loch Shandra New
« on: 13/07/2009 at 19:47 »
Iain (Goolangler) and I had a wee trip down to Loch Shandra, it’s a 22 acre Loch at the top of Glen Isla in Angus. it’s a man made Loch formed by damming the burn that runs down the Glen , I presume it’s the source of the river Isla. Its Bown Trout and fly only. The bonus is float tubing is allowed.
We got our permits (£13 for a tubing permit) and headed up the Forestry  Commission track to the Loch (it’s a decent track ) you can take your car right up to the boathouse (which is handy if your as unfit as me)

We got our gear set up and carried the tubes to the top end of the Loch , it looked quite fishy where the burn ran in and there were a few weed beds. Iain started at the near bank , I finned across to the far side. Iain  got a take on his first cast , I had a few pulls on the way across the Loch/

I was fishing 2 flies (David’s Straggle fritz  crunchers) my first fish was the best one of the day , a 14” incher around the 1lb mark, I ended up with six for the day most around the 10” mark , Iain did better with 9 or 10. We finished off the day around 16:30 as the wind was getting up. All in all an enjoyable days fishing, If you fancy somewhere different to float tube I would recommend Shandra  , not the bonniest Loch but decent enough.    

Sorry about the lack of photo's no camera  :oops Maybe Iain will post some.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/19462

Loch Shandra, Glenisla
Fly Fishing on a 22 acre Loch in Glenisla.
Rob Pate - James Ivory
Phone: 01575 582242 - 01575 530258
Email: JmsIvr@aol.com - Felivory@aol.com
Cost: Bank £10 per day per rod, boat £12 per rod per day(min. 2 per boat). 2 boats available. 9am to 9pm daily. 6 fish limit on all fish over 10 inches, then catch and release.
Season: 15/03/06 - 07/10/0615 March to 7 October.

:z18

Jim

Barry Robertson

Re: Loch Shandra
« Reply #1 on: 14/07/2009 at 09:26 »
Nice report again Jim, hurry up Iain with the photo's  :wink
You have fairly been out and about lately jim  :z15

Iain Goolager

« Reply #2 on: 14/07/2009 at 10:14 »
Spiffing place to fish and with some nice trout to boot.

The wind was unkind to us a few times but on the whole it was a great day out. Another victory for the mobility of the tube, searching out and ambushing Browns around the weed beds.

I'll see what I've got regarding photo's.

Daves Crunchers & a Black Pennell sp? with a holographic rib were the order of the day for me.

Iain

Iain Goolager

« Reply #3 on: 14/07/2009 at 19:49 »
Some pictures

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com