Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Matt Henderson

hair wing problems
« on: 13/06/2009 at 23:01 »
I've been trying to tie a few hair wing patterns tonight and having real difficutly getting the hair to stay tied in.  I've tried a wee dab of varnish but no improvement.  any tips?

Peter McCallum

Re: hair wing problems
« Reply #1 on: 14/06/2009 at 08:30 »
I don't tie with hair apart from deer that much but, assuming you're not using too much hair in one go - you can put several bunches on one after another- here's what I would try.

1) take a turn of thread around the hair only after you have 3 or four tight turns. This should lock the hair.

2) use strong thread you can put pressure on - 6/0 uni or similar. I have gone as far as using power silk but it's so strong it cuts the hair like a cheese wire.

3) as long as the fly is for fish you can't beat a wee drop of superglue to bind the hair together (not pc really but it works - sorry Kev) :oops :wink

Hope this helps

Peter

Sandy Nelson

« Reply #2 on: 14/06/2009 at 08:44 »
Sound advice :z16

Be careful with the superglue though, the capillary action on some hairs will suck the glue up into the wing, make sure it only goes on the thread and only use it very sparingly :z16

Sandy

sightbob

« Reply #3 on: 14/06/2009 at 14:35 »
hi mdh
try tying it in along the shank so that it is facing forward towards the eye and then fold it over its self towards the rear.#
works a treat.
cheers
 brian.
p.s some good tying tips on this site. http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
i know it's mainly salmon flies but you'll pick up some great tips.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com