Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

JohnA

1st post so hello guys
« on: 31/05/2009 at 23:34 »
Hi Guys
I thought I would never get my account activated  :z4 I'm really impatient  :wink

So here I am. My friend and I have been thinking how great it would be to get one of these tubes and go out on some remote/not often fished Loch in Scotland(we are around edinburgh) for a few years now but never got around to it. This afternoon I decided to do some research and found this forum and thought what better place to get some info.

So I have been reading the posts today and picking up some bits of info along the way.

Some quick questions.
1. What is the prefered float tube of members here and what sort of price should we expect to pay?
2. Is there a site that lists places where tubes can be used?
3. Are there any good lochs around Edinburgh, Lothians that allow tubing?

Thanks
John

Mike Barrio

Re: 1st post so hello guys
« Reply #1 on: 01/06/2009 at 00:58 »
Welcome to the forum John :z16

Float tubes are quite personal things and I think you'll get varying replies to this. In general, I think most folk feel safer in a Sparton tube ( approx £275-£300 ) with high build quality and multiple bladder system, then you have a copy of the Sparton sold as the Shakespeare Expedition ( approx £100-£130 ) which although it appears to be made of slightly lower quality materials, it offers great value for money. The Caddis Navigator 11 is popular with the "larger" anglers as it has loads of buoyancy, but you have to get them from the States usually. Another popular model is the "Fat Cat?" like the one Dave uses on here, frequently referred to on the forum as "the banana boat" due to it's colour. Dave swears by it and I think it's a great tube too :wink
But my personal choice is the Sparton and I have three of these at the fishery :z16

Am not sure about the Edinburgh area, but hopefully somebody else on the forum can help with ideas.

Best wishes
Mike

JohnA

« Reply #2 on: 01/06/2009 at 01:09 »
Hi Mike
Yes I thought something like this would be personal preference but I it would give me an idea of what people look for and like in these tubes.

I've been looking at some of the tubes from the states as I'm off to Florida for 3 weeks in July/August and thought I might be able to pick one up over there possibly. If anyone has a real liking for any of the USA models, it would be good to know which and why.

I know I'm going to miss this years fishing from the tube if I do bring back from Florida but there is always next year.

We might pop over to the fishery sometime and try out a bit of tube fishing very soon though, just to get a wee taster :z16

John

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #3 on: 01/06/2009 at 08:34 »
I say Mike, are you saying my tube is inferior :) My understanding about the Shakey tube is that it uses a lighter denier fabric for the outer and the bladders are slightly different, but Steve Partons bladders will fit (according to his website).

JohnA,
I went for the Shakey for a few reasons. Firstly, recommendations from other folk and because Steve Parton had a hand in designing it. It has straps that go over your shoulders so you can walk to waters with it on your back. Its not too big so seems less affected by wind than some of the bigger tubes. It has plenty of storage. It has 5 bladders which is comforting when bobbing about in the water. And lastly, it is cheap but is made to a high standard. I picked mine up for £90.

Now the negatives. Like many others, I tend to slip forward in the seat. Apparently Steve Parton does an inflatable cusion called "The Pile Saver" that folk strap to the seat, this lifts them a little higher in the water and tilts the seat back a little. I think I would have preferred a green colour than the blue. (Cammo better..lol)

I also looked at the Guideline tube (About £250) but a few folk on this site put me off. I was told the problem with it is that you sit high out the water and so wind affected you more. I see the theory but many of the guys in the Pike Fly Fishing Association have gone for them saying they are extremely stable on big waters and high winds (Lochs Lomond, Awe, Ken etc). The higher seating position helps with the double hauling required for 9 and 10 weight outfits) I think I will be buying one because of this.

As Mike rightly says, the Spartons are the Rolls Royce of UK tubes.

Snowbee seem very popular too but there was something about them I did not like..not sure what.

Iain has the Navigator 2 and that looks impressive, but I would not want to try and carry it up a hill!!!

Please note, I am new to tubing but had done a lot of asking around and listening to folk that have been tubing for a long time. Mike knows his stuff and it is well worth paying a visit and having a chat with him.

Kev Danby

« Reply #4 on: 01/06/2009 at 13:13 »
I have the snowbee and it has been fine i got it in the early on when tubing on Mikes place just started and will continue to use this one until it is beyond repair. At that point i think the sparton will be my choice of tube.

I used to slip a bit in the snowbee tube but sorted this by getting the wife (they have a use) to sew in a couple of pieces of non slip matting. This is the stuff you see advertised to stop chopping boards and the like from slipping on kitchen work tops. This made a big improvement.

Rob Brownfield

« Reply #5 on: 01/06/2009 at 14:26 »
I used to slip a bit in the snowbee tube but sorted this by getting the wife (they have a use) to sew in a couple of pieces of non slip matting. This is the stuff you see advertised to stop chopping boards and the like from slipping on kitchen work tops. This made a big improvement.

Good idea!!!!

« Reply #6 on: 01/06/2009 at 17:44 »
As you may have seen from my recent post - bought a Sparton tube recently. Steve advised that he now puts 'Shakey bladders' into his tubes.... (recons the Chinese are better at bladder welding than he is ! LOL)

My lad in Falkirk has a Shakespeare Expedition and recons that it is mans greatest invention !

For me, one of the first considerations for a tube has to be the number of bladders !!!!! Shakespeare Expedition & the Sparton Cruiser have 3 in the main hull....any less and if you get a puncture / leak it could be a problem !!!!!!! I know of at least 1 tube that only has a single bladder ! Not a good idea IMHO.

Nigel

Iain Cameron

« Reply #7 on: 02/06/2009 at 09:29 »

Some quick questions.
1. What is the prefered float tube of members here and what sort of price should we expect to pay?

hi john,

welcome afloat (soon). I have a Caddis Navigator - larger than most tubes (I'm 6'3" but not heavy).
Bit large compared to the Sparton/Shakey -- so perhaps no ideal for long hill treks, but grand for manouverability and stability; very comfy and the line tray sits high and dry out of the water. I'd buy one again if I had too - suits me.

usual advice -- try one or two and see what suits -- but whichever model, you'll have a brilliant time.

cheers
iani

JohnA

« Reply #8 on: 03/06/2009 at 23:59 »
hi john,

welcome afloat (soon). I have a Caddis Navigator - larger than most tubes (I'm 6'3" but not heavy).
Bit large compared to the Sparton/Shakey -- so perhaps no ideal for long hill treks, but grand for manouverability and stability; very comfy and the line tray sits high and dry out of the water. I'd buy one again if I had too - suits me.

usual advice -- try one or two and see what suits -- but whichever model, you'll have a brilliant time.

cheers
iani

Hi Ian,
What sort of price is that Navigator coming in at in the UK and from where?

Looks like i can get it when I'm in Florida for £103 UK
http://thefloattubestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=10

John

Mike Barrio

« Reply #9 on: 04/06/2009 at 00:22 »
Hi John

I don't think anybody sells them in the UK? All the ones I've seen have come from the States.

Nice float tube :wink
Cheers
Mike

Iain Cameron

« Reply #10 on: 04/06/2009 at 07:15 »
hi john

buying a caddis in UK? don't know - i picked mine up 2nd hand. There is still a posting on this forum for another 2nd hand navigator at
http://www.fishingthefly.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1889.0

was almost tempted to buy it myself.

£103 from florida sounds a good price; bit bulky for hand luggage though...

Stevie j

« Reply #11 on: 07/06/2009 at 11:13 »
Helo everybody , Just a wee note to say howdy , Just recently got into tubing and im absoloutly hooked most of my fishing is done in the tube just now. Im very fortunate i am in a syndicate water in ayrshire where i live , its 12 acres in size so perfect for a day bobbing about .
i purchased the caddis navigator 11 tube , being a big lad it more than handles me . Tightlines everybody .

P.S Purchased one of your lines last month Mike it works a treat ...

Mike Barrio

« Reply #12 on: 07/06/2009 at 12:56 »
Hi Stevie

Welcome to the forum :z16

Great to have another member of "the fleet" and I'm chuffed that you like the fly line :wink

Best wishes
Mike

...... This reply comes via "Haddo megaslowband", using solar panels and all sorts of wonderful weird stuff :z4

JohnA

Can anyone help???
« Reply #13 on: 09/06/2009 at 08:19 »
My friend Jamie and I will be along on the 20th. Mike will be supplying the tubes but although Jamie has a pair of waders, they are not Neoprene. He is going to try and get a pair before but if he can't, can anyone help by letting him borrow a pair for the day?

The only problem is his feet are massive... :z4 he is a size 13 !!! Does anyone have feet that big and more to the point...have a spare pair of waders?

Thanks
John

Noel Kelly

Re: Can anyone help???
« Reply #14 on: 09/06/2009 at 10:11 »
My friend Jamie and I will be along on the 20th. Mike will be supplying the tubes but although Jamie has a pair of waders, they are not Neoprene. He is going to try and get a pair before but if he can't, can any help by letting him borrow a pair for the day?

The only problem is his feet are massive... :z4 he is a size 13 !!! Does anyone have feet that big and more to the point...have a spare pair of waders?

Thanks
John

What kind of waders does he have? Neoprene are not necessary, especially at this time of year with the water being fairly warm.

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com