Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

esoxfly

Caithness "Flyer"
« on: 28/05/2009 at 20:06 »
Hi folks,

Thought I'd add a wee report and some photos for a change.

I had the great misfortune to have to fly up to Wick  :z6 and back on Tuesday and had a few hours to kill in the afternoon before the 5.45 flight home.  Now, killing a few hours in Wick would pose most normal people a problem  :wink but not a fly-fisherman in May! :z16 :z15 :z2

A quick visit to Hugo Ross' tackle shop and he recommended some local waters with quick access.  A £5 day ticket for the Thrumster Estate Lochs it was then. 
I took his advice and fished Loch Hempriggs.  I had the place to myself.  The flat landscape in the Caithness flow country is quite unique and spectacular in it's own right on a clear day for the big skies and wide open feeling you get. 

It was a mild day with a steady, if very changeable, breeze and the cloud blotting out the sun for long enough to bring the fish up regularly.  Other than the wind being steadier and a wee bit more cloud, conditions were pretty good. 

I fished from about 1pm to 4pm and managed 6 cracking brownies  :z16 (not very brown as you'll see below!), lost a few and missed as many.  No major rise but there were fish showing regulary with a mixture of big splashy rises to what looked like Mayfly (like little yachts sailing past now and again) and more subtle takes. 
The taking patterns to start with were a Dirty Wicker (pronounced Weeker) and Kate McLaren.  Later on there were more regular rises and I noticed quite a number of small green beetle type things floating past.  The nearest thing I had in size and colour was a size 14 Pearly Invicta.  First cast and bang! The best of the session nailed it.  Followed by three more before I had to go.   :cry
Here's some pic's of the most beautiful trout I've ever seen!  :z16

I'll be back for longer next time.  BTW this water looked perfect for tubing!

:z18
Chris

Jim Eddie

Re: Caithness "Flyer"
« Reply #1 on: 28/05/2009 at 20:12 »
Nice report Chris  :z16 Bonnie troot , the Dirty Wicker is a fly I like  :z12
Its what people from Thurso call people from Wick "Durty Weeker"

Jim   

Noel Kelly

« Reply #2 on: 28/05/2009 at 22:28 »
Great stuff  :z16. You picked the best of the Thrumster lochs in my opinion, I love Hempriggs. Funnily its not rated by a lot of folk I know but you and I know different :grin

esoxfly

« Reply #3 on: 29/05/2009 at 08:48 »
To be honest, Hempriggs wouldn't have been my first choice if I hadn't spoken to Hugo first - local knowledge  :wink

I had read about Sarclet on the Fish Wild site and fancied it.  However, Hugo's advice was that it would only fish well in the evening as the day was a bit bright.  The other options were more secluded (i.e. not right beside the A9!) but not such a convenient hop to the airport.  Having said this I ended up at the far side from the road and hardly noticed it. 

The fish were great - I lost a couple as they did what can only be described at "tail- walking" straight towards me after hooking  :z6

Jim, yes, "durty wicker" is what Thurso folk "affectionately" call "Wickers" - a nice fly though.  Difficult the capture the Caithness dialect in type!

Glad you liked the report/photos  :z4

Chris

Peter McCallum

« Reply #4 on: 30/05/2009 at 10:35 »
Dirty wicker?? Pattern please!!

esoxfly

« Reply #5 on: 30/05/2009 at 11:40 »

Claret body, gold rib - the rest is obvious in the pic.

Chris

Peter McCallum

« Reply #6 on: 30/05/2009 at 14:42 »
 :z18 :z18 :z16

Mike Barrio

« Reply #7 on: 30/05/2009 at 23:37 »
Great report and nice flees! ........ Thanks Chris :z16

Best wishes
Mike

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Manufactured in the UK

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com