Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Don Today
« Reply #60 on: 02/10/2009 at 13:20 »
The lower beats are doing well and at this height there will be fish moving through slowly but not in any numbers, we really do need a foot or so lift.  Very low at Kintore this morning with a good amount of weed visible.

Cheers

Ben

Cameron deBoth

« Reply #61 on: 02/10/2009 at 15:10 »
The lower beats are doing well and at this height there will be fish moving through slowly but not in any numbers, we really do need a foot or so lift.  Very low at Kintore this morning with a good amount of weed visible.

Cheers

Ben

Off tompic kinda but did you get my PM Ben?

gibbyboy

« Reply #62 on: 02/10/2009 at 16:31 »
ye a friend of a friend was saying the same...he fished seaton part stretch saturday morning for the tide and was home before breakfast after catching two fairly large salmon!!

Matt Henderson

« Reply #63 on: 02/10/2009 at 18:45 »
i spent the day on the Kintore beat today, I saw four salmon moving but connected with nothing larger than a half pound brown trout.  I've heard of people doing well with sunray shadows.

Pretty windy out there too, had a narrow escape with a silver stoat that attempted to bury itself in my forehead, but thankfully it wasn't in past the barbs....

gibbyboy

« Reply #64 on: 05/10/2009 at 09:17 »
As Ben is already aware of.....I managed 2 off Inverurie on Saturday....

Matt Henderson

« Reply #65 on: 05/10/2009 at 09:23 »
How on earth did you manage to cast on Saturday!  Well done for toughing it out on a day like that. 

Saw quite a few fish moving yesterday near Kintore.  If only I wasn't at my desk today.

Duncan McRae

« Reply #66 on: 05/10/2009 at 11:33 »
Hi folks

While driving past Kintore in recent weeks i've noticed several different anglers fishing the spinner despite the no spin markers being clearly visible several inches out of the water.
Has there been a relaxation of the no spinning rules.Has anyone heard anything?

Duncan

Graham Ritchie

« Reply #67 on: 05/10/2009 at 14:39 »
Unfortunately it does not seem to be enforced, so a lot of people seem to be ignoring the rule.

gibbyboy

« Reply #68 on: 05/10/2009 at 16:11 »
You would think with the extreme lows there was of recent it would almost be a disadvantage fishing with a spinning rod at many spots??

Ben Dixon

« Reply #69 on: 05/10/2009 at 21:45 »
Problem at Kintore is that the fly fishes best in many places when the water is over the spinning mark but, when below, there can be a lack of "draw" on some of the pools however with a bit of thought and the right set up it is possibly to fish a fly well on those pools even when there is virtually no draw.

Cheers

Ben

Barry Robertson

« Reply #70 on: 05/10/2009 at 22:14 »
Are you talking rollypollying Ben  :z4

Ben Dixon

« Reply #71 on: 05/10/2009 at 22:20 »
Are you talking rollypollying Ben  :z4

When required Baz, have caught salmon on rollypolied Sunrays, is simply spinning with a fly and flyrod  :z4  In this case I was thinking more about the angle at which the cast is made, when the line is brought under tension to make the fly move and more subtle retrieves like gentle fig 8 or occasional strips. 

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #72 on: 08/10/2009 at 20:13 »
Gave Kintore a try first thing today (her indoors thought I was at work so I was on the water at 07:30  :wink)

Water was a little lower than I'd have liked but I still opted for the intermediate tip and micro Brass Eumer tube in as close to a Cascade as my skills could muster (not my favourite or 'go to' fly but it was what I tied last night so on it went) . By the way I like Green, Black and Gold/Copper  :z8

Fished through two runs before the weed and wind (not drugs and flatulence :z3) started to spoil my enjoyment.

There was another geyzer fishing the fly, said there were a few fish showing yesterday so hopefully he had some luck on the other bank.

Took a run up to Inverurie and fished four of the more likely runs, met two guys who hadn't touched anything but had a fish or two over the last few days.

Hooked into a fish in an unspecified run :wink but lost the monkey :oops, wasn't a big fish and looked quite dark but it was nice while it lasted.

As for tomorrow..............Ding! Ding! round 2

Iain

Jim Eddie

« Reply #73 on: 08/10/2009 at 20:25 »
Gave Kintore a try first thing today (her indoors thought I was at work so I was on the water at 07:30  :wink)

Water was a little lower than I'd have liked but I still opted for the intermediate tip and micro Brass Eumer tube in as close to a Cascade as my skills could muster (not my favourite or 'go to' fly but it was what I tied last night so on it went) . By the way I like Green, Black and Gold/Copper  :z8

Fished through two runs before the weed and wind (not drugs and flatulence :z3) started to spoil my enjoyment.

There was another geyzer fishing the fly, said there were a few fish showing yesterday so hopefully he had some luck on the other bank.

Took a run up to Inverurie and fished four of the more likely runs, met two guys who hadn't touched anything but had a fish or two over the last few days.

Hooked into a fish in an unspecified run :wink but lost the monkey :oops, wasn't a big fish and looked quite dark but it was nice while it lasted.

As for tomorrow..............Ding! Ding! round 2

Iain

Softly softly catchee Monkey  :z4 :z4 :z4

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

« Reply #74 on: 09/10/2009 at 22:05 »
Fished up above Alford today, quite a productive day, beat will remain nameless.....

10lb cock fish on a JC monkey fished fast on a fast sink tip, threw a Conns Sunray into the pool first time down, three fish came at it and all turned away, ran out of pool to strip!  Changed fly to the Monkey, rested the pool for 15mins and this fish came up and nailed the fly next cast, was fishing off a high bank so could see everything going on, wish I could have filmed it.  The fish went nuts and came out of the water several times, as it ran up an down the pool a good number of fish bolted out of the way, really cool to watch.

Being released

Another smaller fish on a Silver Stoat

and another, also on a silver stoat

Had another three fall off and moved quite a few to Sunrays that either turned away without touching the fly or just did not stick, all on the 6wt  :grin

Cheers

Ben

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com