Fishing The Fly Scotland Forum

Ben Dixon

Re: Don Today
« Reply #45 on: 17/09/2009 at 21:52 »
Air was thick with BWO spinners at kintore this evening, trout were taking for about an hour, activity had just about stopped by the time I changed the salmon rod for a proper rod!  Trout were moving earlier on to midge and the odd sedge, was a good sedge hatch at one point early in the afternoon but not much activity, no salmon again depite seeing a few!!

Cheers

Ben

Noel Kelly

« Reply #46 on: 18/09/2009 at 06:47 »
Im planning what will prob be a last bash for this season at Kintore tomorrow. There is a fish in a certain pool that has teased me all season, connected once for a few seconds, just long enough to know how big he is!!
That was in I think June. He is still there in his impossible spot as I have seen him rise(once) most days...

piker

« Reply #47 on: 18/09/2009 at 10:39 »
i have been out a couple of times in the last 2 weeks

i think it was last friday i went out of an hour, met one of the older gents

i caught nowt for an hour, left and came back

" any joy " says I

" a twenty pounder" says he  :z14 :z14

i cry like a baby ....business as usual on the Don......

Noel Kelly

« Reply #48 on: 18/09/2009 at 11:45 »
i have been out a couple of times in the last 2 weeks

i think it was last friday i went out of an hour, met one of the older gents

i caught nowt for an hour, left and came back

" any joy " says I

" a twenty pounder" says he  :z14 :z14

i cry like a baby ....business as usual on the Don......
LOL very good.

Matt Henderson

« Reply #49 on: 19/09/2009 at 14:39 »
Mixed day for me yesterday.  Went to the Aberdeenshire council beat Kintore and fished from the railway bridge down.  Got out of the car without my wading stick and promptly filled my waders after five minutes.  So I was a bit cold all day.  I went back for the wading stick but forgot the net again.  I did get three nice brown trout of about half a pound and one nice sea trout.  The first fish on my new rod, my first sea trout and my first fish on a fly I tied myself, a wee stoats tail which the bandies loved too!  However no pictures because my phone was soaked when I filled my waders. 

Oh and am I supposed to record the catch with the council now or at the end of the season? I'm confused because the permit says within 48hours of the permit expiring which is a few months away.  But I'm sure somewhere I saw that it was within 48hrs of catching a fish.  Also what is the position on keeping sea trout?  The council website says to go with the don fishery charter and they contradict each other one saying return all sea trout and the other saying you can keep 12 fish per season.  I returned all of mine because i didn't have the net.

Cheers

Matt

Noel Kelly

« Reply #50 on: 19/09/2009 at 14:57 »
Just home from Kintore beat, fished from the bottom end up to the road bridge otherwise now known to me as parr central. Gave up after about 20 little fish on drys, salmon parr and juvenile trout. Had 1 trout of about 3/4 lbs and it felt huge:z4 Was still a fun morning and those bolle glasses are great Jim :z16
Saw 1 big rise,it was probably a salmon.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #51 on: 20/09/2009 at 00:03 »
Few fish moving tonight, probably would have done O.K with dries but I went armed only with a sinker and my streamers.  Managed a few small trout but nothing of any size.  I gave a woolly bugger to a chap fishing tonight and he hooked and lost a fish that he estimated at 6lb+!!

Last few nights I have been out there have been a few very large sedges about although nothing has been moving to them, maybe should have stayed out longer.  Will go down to the river tomorrow after dark if conditions are as they have been the past few days an see if anything is going down, will report back tomorrow.

Ben

piker

« Reply #52 on: 21/09/2009 at 13:33 »
there are still seatrout about ?

i'm amazed !

popped out to kemnay on friday night for an hour and in the deeper pools there were a few salmon but i guess we need some rain to get things moving again

saying that i was fishing a rapala down, phone went, i went for the phone, stopped winding...rapala floats to the surface....does the 'dea fish float' - and what happens ? *sploosh* a trout hits is *groan*

Still, it is better than the Dee. Fished Kincausie on Sat am and there were about 20 folk out all thrashing the water. Lots of salmon showing . Did anyone catch anything. Nope

Dee - piece of crap......

:z4

Matt Henderson

« Reply #53 on: 21/09/2009 at 15:18 »
there are still seatrout about ?

A few people have said that.  I'm not a qualified fish spotter and since I have no photos then thats the story I'm sticking with.  It was either a sea-trout, a fat brown trout but it was very silvery for a brown trout, or it was a short fat grilse.  But it looked most like a sea-trout to me. 

Cheers

matt

Ben Dixon

« Reply #54 on: 21/09/2009 at 19:10 »
I had a sea trout at Alford last week, had been in a while, took a Sunray Shadow. Fished Inverurie today from the top of the beat to the black pot, saw a few salmon, moved one to a Sunray but hooke nothing despite fishing through the black pot with everything I had, must have gone through there at least 10 times!! 

Did get a nice fat trout on a micro tube but that was it for the day.

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #55 on: 21/09/2009 at 22:25 »
There's no disputing the beauty of the Brownies - cracking markings.

piker

« Reply #56 on: 30/09/2009 at 09:31 »
good to meet with some of you on saturday - even if the  :z15 weren't in a co-operative mood !

personally i blame Noel  :z7

Jim Eddie

« Reply #57 on: 30/09/2009 at 20:55 »
No its was Baz's fault James  :z4

:z18

Jim

Matt Henderson

« Reply #58 on: 01/10/2009 at 09:09 »
how is the don looking today?

I'm hoping to get out for a while tomorrow.

gibbyboy

« Reply #59 on: 02/10/2009 at 12:53 »
has anybody fished inverurie today or yesterday? thinking on heading out tomorrow....

looks like we may get a bit more water today / tonight....should get some fish moving up?

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com