cheeky pensioner!  :z7

Pensioner ... I wish  :z4 Plenty time for fishing then  :z16

:z18

Jim

Ben Dixon

Re: Don Today
« Reply #137 on: 30/10/2009 at 01:23 »
Nice job Iain  :z12

How did the Loomis cope with a salmon?  Fun? 

Ben

Iain Goolager

« Reply #138 on: 30/10/2009 at 08:08 »
Ben,
Thanks for introducing me to the beauty of Single Handed Salmon fishing.
The thought of fishing that size tube on a fast sink leader in high water on a 9' 6wt rod sounds startling to me but it was liberating.

The rod handled the casts fine enough & there is an amazing feeling of being in touch with the actual fly that is sometimes missing with heavier outfits.
As for handling the fish - As you can see from the picture it's not a huge fish but not a tiddler - It was played and landed with no problem and absolutely no feeling of having to be gentle with it. The rod was bent double throughout and had the backbone to bully a fish in a decent flow.

Hooking into something like the Hen fish that I had may have been a different story, she hugged the bottom like a skate.

The only down side for me was struggling to cast where the bankside 'velco' clung to every bit of running line - a longer rod might have been an advantage (or better technique  :z6)

It also let me fish from under severe surrounding tree canopy - ok I had to use a Perry Roll followed by a dump cast followed by a perry poke and then a near horizontal hauling roll cast type thing :z4 but it let me fish a nice piece of fishy looking water that I had to bypass when I ran the pool earlier with the doublehander.

I'm still going for a 9' 6" ish 7wt though with a fighting but and full wells.

Thanks again for your invaluable help

Iain

Barry Robertson

« Reply #139 on: 30/10/2009 at 12:35 »
Sounds like you had a great day iain, well done  :z18

Iain Goolager

« Reply #140 on: 30/10/2009 at 17:40 »
Yes indeedy Basra,

I went out for 4 hours today and should have crowned off the season with a couple of fish but it wasn't to be. I lost a cock fish on the single hander & a cracking cock fish around the 15lb mark on the double hander.  :z10

MDH the smaller fish was on a Black & Green fly, which also accounted for a couple of browns. Black and Orange took his mate.

Fun bit of the day was fishing in my vest and pants (well t-shirt) after falling off of a tree stump into a deepish eddy. Blinkin soaked :oops 

Anyone else out and about doing the business?

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #141 on: 30/10/2009 at 17:47 »
Yes indeedy Basra,

I went out for 4 hours today and should have crowned off the season with a couple of fish but it wasn't to be. I lost a cock fish on the single hander & a cracking cock fish around the 15lb mark on the double hander.  :z10

MDH the smaller fish was on a Black & Green fly, which also accounted for a couple of browns. Black and Orange took his mate.

Fun bit of the day was fishing in my vest and pants (well t-shirt) after falling off of a tree stump into a deepish eddy. Blinkin soaked :oops 

Anyone else out and about doing the business?

Iain

I was at Kintore with the double hander and a shooting head I'd borrowed.  Sadly it was a floating one which didn't really suit the conditions but I set it up with a conehead and a fast sinking polyleader.  However in reality the weather was against me with a cracking wind which made sections of the river unfishable and then the water was just too high for the fly I think.  I should have gone futher upstream. 

I did try a green and black conehead but to no avail...

Iain Goolager

« Reply #142 on: 30/10/2009 at 17:54 »
Kintore can be exposed - it seems that whenever there is a wind there it's almost always against me.

It was the wind that made me pack up today from a casting and chill factor point of view (soaked clothes :oops).

Are you out tomorrow?

Iain

Matt Henderson

« Reply #143 on: 30/10/2009 at 20:37 »
No not tomorrow, I'll just have to wait for next season. However even though I haven't had a salmon I've had fantastic fun fishing the Don. 

I can't wait for next season.

Best of luck tomorrow to everybody, this rain can't be helping. 

matt  :z16

piker

« Reply #144 on: 02/11/2009 at 08:32 »
Final flurish on the Don....

went out on Friday and fished kemnay without any joy. Lost either a small grilse , or a trout. Went to kintore in the afternoon but the wind got up so it was horrid

went back for a final hour at kemnay and got a spanking fresh 5 1/2 lber  :z15

Back for a few hours on Sat and lost one after about 5 casts

thought i would have a last 1/2 hour at kintore in the afternoon

was a chap on the opposite bank at the millers fishing the fly

i wanted to work down the pool so stood on the opposite bank so i could work down the pool. For those who know me i am not rude so i was cleary not going to cast the rapala accross at him

anyways, i get growled at and told i had better not

dispite me saying very politely that i was in no way going to interfere with his fishing a bit of a rant started from his side so i sidled off.....2 mins last he walks off on the phone

a minute after that 2 lads turn up in a while astra and site in the little pull-in opposite the golf club - engin running

i start to think 'oh-oh'

i though it time to leave

as i walk towards the astra it roared away

i may have got it wrong but i did get a nasty feeling about the whole thing

Unlike many at kintore i work down the pool, don't cut in etc etc and most of all i am polite . I may give kintore a miss next year and try elsewhere....

Is it possible to buy a season ticket just for alford ?

Jay Scott

« Reply #145 on: 02/11/2009 at 17:44 »

Is it possible to buy a season ticket just for alford ?

Yeah it is  :z16

Jay

Alex Thain

« Reply #146 on: 02/11/2009 at 20:43 »
Hi Piker, I am the chap from the otherside of the bank at Kintore last day of the season and firstly I could not believe that anyone knowing the etiquette of river fishing would blatently stand opposite someone flyfishing and start spinning. It's just not done. Secondly I left when I did because I was needed at home and thirdly I take great offence at the accusation that a vehicle arriving on your side of the bank would have anything to do with me. This is fishing not gang warfare, we do not threaten each other, we work together.

Ben Dixon

« Reply #147 on: 02/11/2009 at 21:01 »
It is not good form to begin fishing opposite anyone really regardless of methods being used.  Personally, on an open piece of water such as Kintore I would go in about 40 - 50 yards above another angler whether they were on my bank or the opposite bank this is particularly important on smaller rivers like the Don. 

Piker, this is not an attack on you personally.  There may be some anglers out there that simply do not know what is considered acceptable practice in terms of salmon fishing, they may never have asked or been told anything about salmon fishing etiquette.  There are a few guys here who have been out chasing salmon for the first time in recent weeks.

For future reference always go in above another angler regardless of whether they are on the same bank or not, keep at least three cast lengths away and preferably more. 
Unless you have a piece of water to yourself, make a cast or two then take a few paces down the pool regardless of the method you are fishing.
If in doubt, always ask, saves a lot of embarrassment and ensures that everyone on the water enjoys their time.

Cheers

Ben

piker

« Reply #148 on: 04/11/2009 at 08:11 »
Koi Keeper

Point taken. It just seemed very coincidental to me with the car turning up and me obviously having upset you. Especially when i then started to walk towards the car which then roared away.

If it had nothing to do with you then i am rather glad !

I thought about starting fishing where i did as there were whin bushes further upstream, not out of being inconsiderate. And trust me when say i meant no offence, and i was most certainly not going to cast across to your bank. I tend to pride myself on being a good fisherman in terms of etiquate. This time in figured i woudl work down the pool quicker as i was spinning and fly takes longer. Suffice to say i won't be making that mistake again...

Anyway, enough said. Not the best end to the season

Barrio Fly Lines - designed in Scotland - Cast with confidence all over the world

Barrio Fly Lines

Designed in Scotland

Cast with confidence all over the world

www.flylineshop.com